I know a fair bit about Java and want to start modding Minecraft

I'm taking AP Computer Science in School and I think I've gotten really good at coding in Java.

The reason I took that course was so I could make my own mods for Minecraft. 

If you've made Minecraft mods before, do you have any tips or tricks?

EDIT: I found this nice tutorial and figured out how to do it 

Edited by DarkFireGuy

hey hey hey i leik turtles

I would say start by familiarizing yourself with how the minecraft code works. I did that by making a bunch of different crafting recipes and enchantment levels and other things when I was getting into modding a few years ago.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Well the best tip I can give is learn the ins and outs of the version you are working on and any software you use to integrate your mod (forge for example) prior to actually designing anything.

I currently do not know the specifics of coding for recent versions of minecraft but keep in mind updating to a newer version is almost as much work in many cases as making an entirely new mod, so stick to a version even if something else is released as you'll just waste excessive amounts of time otherwise.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would say start by familiarizing yourself with how the minecraft code works. I did that by making a bunch of different crafting recipes and enchantment levels and other things when I was getting into modding a few years ago.

@Crunchy Dragon

First off, WOAH STAFF? DAAAAANG!

And that's what I'm planning on doing. I'll start off by making a mod with swords that use blocks instead of ingots. Do you still have the code for your mods? I wanna go through it and see if I can learn some things

2 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Well the best tip I can give is learn the ins and outs of the version you are working on and any software you use to integrate your mod (forge for example) prior to actually designing anything.

I currently do not know the specifics of coding for recent versions of minecraft but keep in mind updating to a newer version is almost as much work in many cases as making an entirely new mod, so stick to a version even if something else is released as you'll just waste excessive amounts of time otherwise.

Yeah, I'mma do stuff for 1.6.4 and forge because that's what CaptainSparklez played Ultra Modded Survival on.

I haven’t modded Minecraft but I’ve seen some how to mod Minecraft books in bookstores. They might have some information  

think you will need some times just to learn and get familiar with the source code before actually modifying them. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Microsoft themselves have quite a lot of resources for teaching Minecraft development. I remember they even had online development tools that required no config to get started. That being said I have no idea what the link was again as I don't do Minecraft but this might point you in the right direction - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/blog/code-minecraft/