Unable to find freeNAS server in explorer can ping IP but not name

Go to solution Solved by Benjamin_ONeal,

Thanks to everyone's help I got it to work. There was a bug in the wizard, when I manually set a datasheet and configured shares the smb turned on. Your all legends, Thanks.

Hi everyone. i re-installed freeNAS when I got a bunch of new HDD's, i have done shares, permissions, set the gateway to 192.168.1.1 and the server to 192.168.1.106 which is where i can access the webGUI just fine but I can not find the network location in win10 file explorer. I had done it successfully when I experimented the first time.  I can only ping the IP not the name e.g. ping 192.168.1.106 success but ping THE-GIGITYBYTE nothing. any suggestions?

Setup pretty much followed this youtube video

You can't ping it by name because you're likely using your router as a DNS server and it might not be smart enough to resolve the name to an IP address. That said, it's pingable through the IP so that means connectivity is OK.

Can you map the shares directly (without browsing to them via Network)? Did you specify the workgroup/domain your Windows machines are in on the FreeNAS server?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I ping'd it by name when i got it to work during my experimentation before the new hdd's arrived. I will need a bit of direction to set the workgroup/domain in freeNAS, I might have done it last time by going into a trance and my hands just some how programed it. I appreciate the help.

8 minutes ago, Benjamin_ONeal said:

I ping'd it by name when i got it to work during my experimentation before the new hdd's arrived. I will need a bit of direction to set the workgroup/domain in freeNAS, I might have done it last time by going into a trance and my hands just some how programed it. I appreciate the help.

Try to map the shares directly first, this will tell you SMB is working properly. So in my computer click on map network drive and type \\servername\share and it should connect. If not, SMB isn't working properly or the share isn't defined properly. If this works fine, SMB is okay and then it's just a network discovery thing.

Defining workgroups should be done when configuring SMB. I'm not a FreeNAS expert, sorry :) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Thanks, you've been a great help.I did try to map that but it could never find it so i think your right and it's the smb. Thanks

If you can ping you can just do this in explorer to test the service. \\freenasip\sharename

NelizMastr is right. To automatically browse and see the shares, FreeNAS and your Windows clients need to be on the same Windows Domain/Workgroup. (whatever that is by default now I have no idea, homenet?) It's kind of a cumbersome old thing that Windows sharing does. It's used to segregate windows domains in small office work groups. You also need your.... windows 10.. public private network thing to be set right. (private network, meaning your computer is not private and therefor broadcasting and looking for shares... I know windows is confusing.).. It only asks you this once when you connect to a new network then it goes into the deep dark guts of the windows settings interface.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://192.168.1.109/services/cifs/
Software Version: FreeNAS-11.1-U4 (89e3d93bc)
Exception Type: ServiceFailed
Exception Value:
The SMB service failed to reload.
Exception Location: ./freenasUI/services/forms.py in save, line 268
Server time: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 20:17:43 +1000

Traceback

Environment: Software Version: FreeNAS-11.1-U4 (89e3d93bc) Request Method: POST Request URL: http://192.168.1.109/services/cifs/ Traceback: File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner 42. response = get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response 249. response = self._get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response 178. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs) File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view 162. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view 23. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs) File "./freenasUI/services/views.py" in services_cifs 209. form.save() File "./freenasUI/services/forms.py" in save 268. "cifs", _("The SMB service failed to reload.") Exception Type: ServiceFailed at /services/cifs/ Exception Value: The SMB service failed to reload.

Request information

GET

No GET data

Variable Value
__all__ ''
cifs_srv_netbiosname 'THE-GIGITYBYTE'
cifs_srv_netbiosalias 'GIGITYBYTE'
cifs_srv_workgroup 'WORKGROUP'
cifs_srv_description 'FreeNAS Server'
cifs_srv_doscharset 'CP437'
cifs_srv_unixcharset 'UTF-8'
cifs_srv_loglevel '1'
cifs_srv_localmaster 'on'
cifs_srv_timeserver 'on'
cifs_srv_guest 'nobody'
cifs_srv_filemask ''
cifs_srv_dirmask ''
cifs_srv_smb_options ''
cifs_srv_unixext 'on'
cifs_srv_zeroconf 'on'
cifs_srv_hostlookup 'on'
cifs_srv_allow_execute_always 'on'
cifs_srv_obey_pam_restrictions 'on'
cifs_srv_bindip '192.168.1.109'
idmap_tdb_range_low '90000001'
idmap_tdb_range_high '100000000'
__form_id 'dialogForm_'

FILES

No FILES data

COOKIES

Variable Value
csrftoken '********'
sessionid '843llnft6x8tl5n6v69ma8y7wxib51t5'
fntreeSaveStateCookie 'root%2Croot%2F1%2Croot%2F1%2F2%2Croot%2F1%2F6'

META

Thanks to everyone's help I got it to work. There was a bug in the wizard, when I manually set a datasheet and configured shares the smb turned on. Your all legends, Thanks.

Yeah, you probably gave the wizard some bad value and it couldn't start with it.

Glad you got it working.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

I wan't to thank you both again, getting into enterprise gear is hard enough and everyone here has made it a lot easier.