A new phone for me

Nucleus

Hey guys,

My 11 month old honor 9 is declared dead, first it was runover by a car ( surprisingly only the screen was broken, touch worked) and last weekend I accidentally threw it at the ground while attempting to catch it while falling.

So here I am, looking for a new good bang for the buck phone, I've been searching for a while now and I've narrowed it down to 2 phones.

The nokia 7 plus, and the samsung galaxy a8.

Nokia 7 plus because:

• The android 8 update policy
  • big battery, I haven't found any battery life/charging test so if you know where to find one please help
  • Around 17%-20% better than the a8 in performance tests (Source, in dutch sorry) (source 2)

Samsung galaxy a8:

Phones that I've considered but didn't convince me: Honor 9, LG G6, Honor 8, P20 Lite, P10, P smart.

Things that I find important:

• USB type-C
  • A good display;
  • A good battery life and charging time;
  • And a good camera, be it selfie and normal.

I'll most likely install nova launcher again so ugly homescreens won't be an issue.

Both phones are the same price here
Thank you and please let me know what you think.

No real reason but I would say the A8 would be better.

it's Samsung v Nokia. 

duh.:P

Seriously, I had an A5 once or A3, probably the A3 and it was great. Can't imagine how good the A8 would be so I would choose that. 

I didn't own a Nokia phone but had an experience with the Nokia 5 and it was terrible, very buggy.

I think of my argument invalid though since I've only had experiences with these phones a while ago and basing their performance on the standard like, years ago. (a3)

DO NOT get the Honor 8. Who knows if will ever get android 8 at this point (I unfortunately can't upgrade so I'm stuck with mines, although performance is still almost like new but my battery is at about 81% capacity since a year of using it. I like Huawei's promise of consistent performance so my next phone will most likely by a Honor/Huawei device). What about the mate 10/Pro or regular P20/pro? Both are water proof except the regular Mate 10 has a lower rating. For the Samsung devices, I have personally experienced how slow and painful it is to use Samsung phones could become after some time. A lot of people come to me saying that their phone is slow and that they cannot make it "faster" (people with the S7 Edge, S8/+, budget and mid range devices). 

do you concidered xiaomi phones? the mi mix 2 just launched and got only good reviews but is also sold out a lot. or the redmi 5 plus. problem is, i think the first is a little bit more expensive than ur two but i would think it is also much better, second is cheaper but got no usb c.

i dont know the dollar prices so maybe the mi mix 2 is not even more expensive

Just now, jefire411 said:

DO NOT get the Honor 8. Who knows if will ever get android 8 at this point (I unfortunately can't upgrade so I'm stuck with mines, although performance is still almost like new but my battery is at about 81% capacity since a year of using it). What about the mate 10/Pro or regular P20/pro? Both are water proof except the regular Mate 10 has a lower rating. For the Samsung S8, I have personally experienced how slow and painful it is to use Samsung flagships could become after some time. A lot of people come to me saying that their phone is slow and that they cannot make it "faster" (people with the S7 Edge, S8/+). 

Unfortunately the S8, regular p20/pro are out of my budget. And the regular mate 10 isnt sold here, well I haven't found any store that sells it. I've indeed heard that samsung phones tend to slow down overtime, but every phone does, right..?

1 minute ago, H4ckbraten said:

i dont know the dollar prices so maybe the mi mix 2 is not even more expensive

Yeah, i've looked at some xiaomi phones, but the mi mix 2 is around €100 more

Just now, Nucleus said:

Unfortunately the S8, regular p20/pro are out of my budget. And the regular mate 10 isnt sold here, well I haven't found any store that sells it. I've indeed heard that samsung phones tend to slow down overtime, but every phone does, right..?

ah that's unfortunate. I don't have much experience with other brands aside from Huawei, Samsung, and Apple so I wouldn't know what to recommend lol. As for performance, my 2 year (I think?) old Honor 8 is still going strong in that category, just not in the battery department but I haven't been doing that 80% percent battery trick that some people do to conserve the total charge.

1 minute ago, jefire411 said:

aayy I found you in PCPP

Hahaha, Yeah I posted it there aswell :D

2 hours ago, Nucleus said:

Hahaha, Yeah I posted it there aswell :D

annnnnddddd after I left school and was getting home my phone dropped and is now dead :(

5 minutes ago, jefire411 said:

annnnnddddd after I left school and was getting home my phone dropped and is now dead :(

lelel, which one did you have?

36 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

lelel, which one did you have?

the honor 8 lol