Aftermarket Fans for a Corsair h100 v2?

rogueone

Hi folks,

Just a quick question. Noise of standard corsair fans really annoying so looking to get some Noctua fans for the radiator  to replace the supplied one. Do I get 3 pin or 4 pin fans? I know it's a dumb question but using corsair link to run things...

It's payday tomorrow so will pull the trigger but what are the pros and cons of 3 v 4 pin fans???

Thanks in advance!

Are the current fans on the radiator 3 or 4 pin fans? Where do you have them plugged in? if you have them plugged into the motherboard or a fan controller that has 4 pin PWM then go for 4 pin fans. 4 pin > 3 pin since 4 pin has its own fourth channel for speed control. They tend to be a bit less quiet because of speed fluctuations or something.  I recommend getting a 4 pin unless you only have 3 pin connections on your motherboard, or you have a 3 pin fan controller you want to keep using.

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

4pin fans support pwm which is one way to power a fan as opposed to dc which is used for 2 or 3pin fans. With dc, voltage is lowered to control rpm whereas pwm uses 12v pulses to control rpm. Since fans need a certain amount of voltage to start, pwm generally allows for a wider range of control. That being said, 4pin fans can also be controlled using dc. Which you should go for will depend on what type of control you have available whether it be a hardware fan controller or headers off of the motherboard and your own preference. 

Either is fine with the only thing to watch out for being that pwm fans tend to cost a bit more. If that isn't an issue, just go with the pwm version.

2 hours ago, henkka_scorpio said:

They tend to be a bit less quiet because of speed fluctuations or something.

Fans using dc can be noisier than pwm or vice-versa depending on the fan model. Ticking noises occur in most pwm fans due to the pulse but can be mitigated by smoothing the signal and dc fans tend to have a higher min rpm.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hi, whatever you do,  don't add CoolerMaster Jetflo fans to the H100, there are multiple reports on Corsair's forum about dead units after combining both. I'm on the same boat, Instead of changing the fans I had to adjust the curves/profile to reduce the noise, make sure you are on the latest firmware and if you end up getting new fans please report back on how they work with your rig, I'm really curious about it. good luck mate!

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

17 hours ago, Hashiba said:

Hi, whatever you do,  don't add CoolerMaster Jetflo fans to the H100, there are multiple reports on Corsair's forum about dead units after combining both. I'm on the same boat, Instead of changing the fans I had to adjust the curves/profile to reduce the noise, make sure you are on the latest firmware and if you end up getting new fans please report back on how they work with your rig, I'm really curious about it. good luck mate!

Ordered some noctua nf-f12 four pin fans......used them on a previous build but these are the industrial ones which look a bit better.....Will post when I get them in and check temps. Hope it's a good solution............these ones are driving me nuts!