SSD too full but isn't supposed to be? (Solved)

Morpheus
Go to solution Solved by Morpheus,

my 120gb ssd is showing that there is 57.4gb of space left on it but the only things installed on it is windows (20gb) and 1 game (10gb) and my google drive.. basically only a maximum of around 35gb of stuff on it. This leaves 20gb of stuff i can't figure out where it's coming from. any ideas? 

if it has 120 gig on the box doesnt mean 120 gig is user accesable, but still 20 gig is alot to not be user accesable...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

my 120gb ssd is showing that there is 57.4gb of space left on it but the only things installed on it is windows (20gb) and 1 game (10gb) and my google drive.. basically only a maximum of around 35gb of stuff on it. This leaves 20gb of stuff i can't figure out where it's coming from. any ideas?

Hard drives work in mysterious ways...

It could just be the way it reports capacity.

Have you tried doing a disk cleanup and wiping the restore points (leaves the latest one automatically), might be worth a shot and may give a little space back.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Sound like it could be the way it shows capacity, but what ssd do you have? :)

Sound like it could be the way it shows capacity, but what ssd do you have? :)

kingston ssdnow v300 120gb

if it has 120 gig on the box doesnt mean 120 gig is user accesable, but still 20 gig is alot to not be user accesable...

yeah i know about 111gb is available for use out of the box

yeah i know about 111gb is available for use out of the box

sorry hadnt looked at you post count...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Have you tried doing a disk cleanup and wiping the restore points (leaves the latest one automatically), might be worth a shot and may give a little space back.

only improved by 4 gb or so. still like 16gb missing :P

sorry hadnt looked at you post count...

what does that have to do with anything? i'm confused lol

what does that have to do with anything? i'm confused lol

well you wont post 1.5K posts on a tech site without knowing some basic stuff...

well you wont post 1.5K posts on a tech site without knowing some basic stuff...

haha ohhh :)

What version of firmware on the ssd do you have?

only improved by 4 gb or so. still like 16gb missing :P

I don't mean to insult your intelligence as I'm pretty sure you've already had a look but has anything big been installed that you haven't realised or maybe forgotten about?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I don't mean to insult your intelligence as I'm pretty sure you've already had a look but has anything big been installed that you haven't realised or maybe forgotten about?

nothing like that, only the stuff i mentioned in the OP.

What version of firmware on the ssd do you have?

sorry not sure how to check that.

nothing like that, only the stuff i mentioned in the OP.

Then I have no idea what is going on, I'll sign off right now and sorry I couldn't be of more assistance :)

Then I have no idea what is going on, I'll sign off right now and sorry I couldn't be of more assistance :)

thanks for trying! i appreciate it :)

thanks for trying! i appreciate it :)

No worries mate :)

When it checks hardware when the computer boots up you can see it and you can use the pause button when you see the screen :)

When it checks hardware when the computer boots up you can see it and you can use the pause button when you see the screen :)

okay i'll look for it

for anyone looking at this in the future, i found the answer here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1640305/ssd-showing-space.html

Cool, glad you found the issue

Cool, glad you found the issue

i'm one of those guys that likes their pc very clean and stuff so it was bothering me for a while lol