Windowed side panel for a non windowed case?

Hi there,

Just want to outline a few things that I'm expecting out of this potential mod before I get into it.

- Windowed Side Panel

- Flush window or some way of making it look neat

Those are the only requirements... since I'm very noob status for case modding this is where I ask for help. How would you guys cut out a hole in your side panel and put a window into it?

I'm using a super old case so it's not that big of an issue but I plan to add like a stealthy/sleeper look so you don't know there's decent hardware in there but there is.

Any thoughts?

I make YouTube videos... not as cool as Linus'

Intel Core i7 8700k | Asus Z370 TUF - GAMING Pro motherboard | Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X | 1x WD 3TB HDD | 2x Seagate 1TB HDD | 2x Crucial 480GB SSD | EVGA SUPAnova G2 850 PSU

Back in the day when windowed cases were rare, I modded a few cases adding windows to them. I would use a jigsaw with good quality metal bit. Then finish it up and make it look nice with hand files. Then for a window I would visit a local sign shop and pick up some remnant pieces of acrylic or Lexan (a brand of polycarbonate that is shatter proof but tends to be expensive and scratch easy) . You can cut the plastic with the same jigsaw and blade. Mounting it to the panel is easy too. Just get some 3M double stick trim tape from an automotive store like NAPA and use that. If you want to get fancy you could get some stainless hardware and mount the window that way too. Use your imagination to make it your own.

Also take your time and mark everything out first. Go slow and you'll get better results.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Razor02097 said:

Back in the day when windowed cases were rare, I modded a few cases adding windows to them. I would use a jigsaw with good quality metal bit. Then finish it up and make it look nice with hand files. Then for a window I would visit a local sign shop and pick up some remnant pieces of acrylic or Lexan (a brand of polycarbonate that is shatter proof but tends to be expensive and scratch easy) . You can cut the plastic with the same jigsaw and blade. Mounting it to the panel is easy too. Just get some 3M double stick trim tape from an automotive store like NAPA and use that. If you want to get fancy you could get some stainless hardware and mount the window that way too. Use your imagination to make it your own.

Also take your time and mark everything out first. Go slow and you'll get better results.

Sounds similar to how I was thinking, I was just going to cut a window out and screw some acrylic on the inside of the side panel. To block off or make the gap flush I was going to use some car window trim... not sure if that's a good idea yet but we'll see. Hopefully get the stuff I need this week and get to work. Will update this thread when it's completed :)

Intel Core i7 8700k | Asus Z370 TUF - GAMING Pro motherboard | Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X | 1x WD 3TB HDD | 2x Seagate 1TB HDD | 2x Crucial 480GB SSD | EVGA SUPAnova G2 850 PSU

9 minutes ago, MADagain321 said:

Sounds similar to how I was thinking, I was just going to cut a window out and screw some acrylic on the inside of the side panel. To block off or make the gap flush I was going to use some car window trim... not sure if that's a good idea yet but we'll see. Hopefully get the stuff I need this week and get to work. Will update this thread when it's completed :)

Door trim could work if you can get it small enough and if it will flex enough. You could get some automotive vacuum line from an auto shop. Just slice one side of the tubing and fit it on the edges of your panel before you install the window. Just remember to go slow and not warp the side panel

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, Razor02097 said:

Door trim could work if you can get it small enough and if it will flex enough. You could get some automotive vacuum line from an auto shop. Just slice one side of the tubing and fit it on the edges of your panel before you install the window. Just remember to go slow and not warp the side panel

But warping is the best bit haha. Thanks for the tips mate. We'll see what happens. It's fine if I ruin it it's just a temp case for now anyway for a second rig.

7 hours ago, MADagain321 said:

-SNIP-

If you want to cut a window into your case I have a guide here under Window Mod which goes over the details of doing so. 

10 hours ago, W-L said:

If you want to cut a window into your case I have a guide here under Window Mod which goes over the details of doing so. 

Holy moley that is professional. I'll definitely take a look at that. Thank you kindly.