Bottlenecking

I just found out that after months of saving my money and finally buying a custom PC I am facing gpu bottlenecking. Is their any way I can reduce it or eliminate it

Intel xeon x5660 X2

Msi gtx 1070 gaming x 8gb

32gb D3 ram

These are the specs

Need some sort of answer

1. Play different games
  2. Switch from server xeons to normal desktop series with at least i5 level. E.g. 1600, 8400, etc.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

by not using a xeon chip, they have poor singlethread performance, and high singlethread performance is required to run high end gpus

(◑‿◐)

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

by not using a xeon chip, they have poor singlethread performance, and high singlethread performance is required to run high end gpus

Not always, newer xeon chips can be clocked relatively high plus they will have the same IPC as their consumer/enthusiasts counterparts. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Not always, newer xeon chips can be clocked relatively high plus they will have the same IPC as their consumer/enthusiasts counterparts. 

xeon x5660

hes using lga1366 chips... he wont get the ipc ever that is required for a 1070

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

xeon x5660

I know, just stating how what you put is not true for all xeons. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

4 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:
  1. Play different games
  2. Switch from server xeons to normal desktop series with at least i5 level. E.g. 1600, 8400, etc.

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

do you guys have anything that backs this up with some details on whe how and why? 

last thing i heard was that there is no real difference in game performance between xeon CPUs and their consumer counterparts (4C/8T haswell xeon @ 3.4 GHz = 4C/8T haswell core i7 @ 3.4 GHz) 

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

xeon x5660

i guess that would be true for lga 1366 i7 CPUs too

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

I know, just stating how what you put is not true for all xeons. 

modern xeons no, older xeons yes

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

do you guys have anything that backs this up with some details on whe how and why? 

last thing i heard was that there is no real difference in game performance between xeon CPUs and their consumer counterparts (4C/8T haswell xeon @ 3.4 GHz = 4C/8T haswell core i7 @ 3.4 GHz) 

lga1366 is way older then haswell chips, its equal to the i7 920 series ect... basicly too ancient

(◑‿◐)

22 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

That xeon is from 2010, there's a 8 generation different and with intel's 8% increase in IPC per generation that's large of IPC difference

2 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

That xeon is from 2010, there's a 8 generation different and with intel's 8% increase in IPC per generation that's large of IPC difference

a same generation i7 would be about as bad. 

Your GPU is very powerful; your CPUs, not so much. However, they (it, being realistic) may still be fine for moderate FPS, demanding graphical settings.

What I'm trying to say is that the CPU may "bottleneck" the GPU like crazy if you are playing at 640x480 and trying to hit 2000 FPS, but if you are playing in 4K with all the AA in the world, then the 1070 may choke before any CPU becomes a limiting factor.

What about Xeon E3 CPU's? Can one overclock any of those? I have an E3-1231 v3. It only runs at 3.4 GHz (in reality it always runs at 3.8 GHz, but the box says 3.4). Needless to say, it is roughly a 4770/4790 without the graphics, so I assume it has the same characteristics of that chip.

My X5680 doesn't bottleneck my GTX 1080.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

You went with 2.8ghz Xeons in a non over clocking motherboard. X5680 would have been a little better at 3.33ghz. Alternatively you could go with an EVGA sr2.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 minute ago, asand1 said:

You went with 2.8ghz Xeons in a non over clocking motherboard. X5680 would have been a little better at 3.33ghz. Alternatively you could go with an EVGA sr2.

A note to the OP. Just make sure if you do try a X5680 that the motherboard can support a 130 watt TDP CPU.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

While 130 TDP sounds high, these 32nm chips really do run cool. With a Cooler Master 212+ and then a kraken x61 I have never seen high temps with my CPU running as high as 4.2ghz.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;