What free AV solutions are people using today?

I was using avira until it did a thing & found out its log display method is absolute trash (I never found out what the thing was) so looking for new ideas.

No Windows defender, already have MWbyte thanks, and "common sense" isn't AV software.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Windows Defender

Malwarebytes (for system scans)

Caution/common sense/my brain

That's kept me virus and malware free for years. 

switch to linux

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

2 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

switch to linux

Thanks for not being vaguely helpful.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

9 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

Thanks for not being vaguely helpful.

Actually for internet browsing on sites you haven't been on before, Linux wouldn't be a bad option. That's the reason I have mint installed on a USB drive. When I boot into mint I don't mount any drives and I don't map my NAS. Maybe it isn't completely foolproof but at least prevent malicious sites from detecting a windows machine... I want to start using a VM soon so I don't have to boot from a USB drive on my computer anymore.

On my gaming computer I still run Malwarebytes and keep Windows Defender on. Then I have my firewall on the router...for what that's worth.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Just now, Razor02097 said:

Actually for internet browsing on sites you haven't been on before, Linux wouldn't be a bad option. That's the reason I have mint installed on a USB drive. When I boot into mint I don't mount any drives and I don't map my NAS. Maybe it isn't completely foolproof but at least prevent malicious sites from detecting a windows machine... I want to start using a VM soon so I don't have to run the drive on my computer anymore.

On my gaming computer I still run Malwarebytes and keep Windows Defender on. Then I have my firewall on the router...for what that's worth.

I have precisely 0 interest in Linux for anything.

System Specs

2 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

That's fair enough. I know you didn't really specify, but if you're wanting a free solution Avast and AVG were the go to back in the day. But seems like both have become kind of bloated with nagware...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Back in the day Avast and AVG were my go-to's, however recently on my personal Windows partition; uBlock Origin, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes keeps pretty much everything at bay.

For my brothers (and dad) I installed Bitdefender but it requires you to register with an e-mail address to use it for more than a month, and the interface is very simplistic (pretty much only an on/off switch for the virus shield & auto scan, and a small button for viewing the log files)

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

12 hours ago, Nexxus said:

12 hours ago, Razor02097 said:

That's fair enough.

I don't consider a statement of no interest as fair enough.

Linux is the best family of operating systems overall and Windows literally holds not a single candle to it.

Also, @Nexxus Linux is a very valid answer in multiple ways to malware threats.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

17 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

Linux is the best family of operating systems overall and Windows literally holds not a single candle to it.

Given the statement made, I decided not to pursue it. You can't force someone to change their mind. If the person has no interest in switching to Linux then there isn't really a point in suggesting it anymore.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

8 hours ago, LtStaffel said:

As valid as it might be to combat malware as mentioned I have exactly 0 interest in the OS & it is 100% irrelevant to me.

System Specs

What is it you're looking in an AV exactly. Something of a safety net for the potential misstep, or a neigh impenetrable wall even venturing within the dankest parts of the Net?

While I have Defender and MalwareBytes (free), a strong first defense would be at the browser. Extensions to whitelist which websites can run java (NoScript for FireFox users) would be a good start, albeit, a bit of a PITA for the first day or so. I did use MalwareBytes to extract a nasty piece of malware some years ago, and finished up by deleting the registry entries manually, though beyond that, I've had no further encounters with malware.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

What is it you're looking in an AV exactly. Something of a safety net for the potential misstep, or a neigh impenetrable wall even venturing within the dankest parts of the Net?

While I have Defender and MalwareBytes (free), a strong first defense would be at the browser. Extensions to whitelist which websites can run java (NoScript for FireFox users) would be a good start, albeit, a bit of a PITA for the first day or so. I did use MalwareBytes to extract a nasty piece of malware some years ago, and finished up by deleting the registry entries manually, though beyond that, I've had no further encounters with malware.

Safety net, Use MWB, not interested in defender cause I have heard its gone to trash over the recent years. Just something to passively run in the background, notify me if something suspicious is up and let me see a damn log of actions it takes so I can dismiss what it does or take further action. 

System Specs