Intel Unveils Hexacore-based Gaming Laptops

The Verge published an article listing some of the new laptops from Gigabyte, Asus, Acer, and Samsung that will be using Intel's new Coffee Lake-based 6-core i5 and i7 chips.

Intel unveiled its first Core i9 CPU for laptops today, and updated Core i5 and i7 processors that include 6 cores of power instead of the usual quad-core processors. All of these new processors are primarily designed for gaming and high-performance laptops, so expect to see a number of new notebooks shipping with these new processors. While processors don’t matter as much to gaming (outside of VR) as a modern GPU, a number of OEMs are announcing new laptops today that pair Intel’s latest processor with Nvidia graphics cards.

This last bit makes me laugh: "Processors don't matter as much to gaming(outside of VR) as a modern GPU". As if you don't need a powerful CPU just to keep up with a 1080Ti.

The first one on the list to ship with Intel's new Coffee Lake mobile chips is the Acer Nitro 5:

Acer’s updated Nitro 5 includes a 15.6-inch Full HD IPS display, coupled with the latest 8th generation Core i7 and Core i7+ processors, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics card, and Gigabit WiFi / Ethernet. The optional Core i7+ model also includes Intel’s Optane cache memory, which works as a bridge between RAM and storage to speed up things like game load times. Acer’s Nitro 5 will also include up to 32GB of RAM and 512GB of NVMe PCIe storage. Acer is equipping the Nitro 5 with a number of ports, including Type-C and HDMI 2.0. Acer’s Nitro 5 will be available in May priced from $749.

Not sure about you guys, but I do love a good IPS panel.

Next is Gigabyte's Aero 15 and 15X:

Gigabyte’s new Aero 15 includes a 1080p 15.6-inch display that supports 144Hz refresh rates and has a small 5mm bezel (apart from a giant chin at the bottom). The display also has a wide viewing angle with IPS, and an option to move to a 4K display (no 144Hz refresh rate) on the AERO 15X. The differences between both models are small, and you’re mostly choosing between graphics cards and displays. The regular AERO 15 ships with Nvidia’s GTX 1060, and the AERO 15X upgrades that to GTX 1070.

Both include Intel’s latest 8th generation Core i7 processors, up to 32GB of RAM, and support for two M.2 SSD slots. Gigabye is also using a Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port, HDMI 2.0 port, and two regular USB ports on both models alongside an SD reader and ethernet port. Gigabyte hasn’t released pricing or exact availability for the AERO 15 or 15X yet.

Interested in seeing esports and competitive games on this one, I don't see 144Hz on laptops very often. Again, love the IPS. I/O isn't lacking too badly either.

How long as it been since Samsung released a gaming laptop? Their upcoming Odyssey Z seems fairly promising:

Samsung’s latest 15.6-inch gaming laptop includes Intel’s latest 8th generation Core i7 processor, up to 16GB of RAM, and up to 1TB of NVMe PCIe storage. The display doesn’t support anything fancy like 144Hz refresh rates or 4K resolution, and it’s just a regular 15.6-inch 1080p display coupled with Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 1060 Max-P graphics card. Samsung is shipping its Odyssey Z with a single USB-C port, two USB 3.0 ports, one USB 2.0 port, and support for HDMI displays. Samsung’s Notebook Odyssey Z will be available in the US in Q3, 2018, but the company has not yet released pricing information.

I/O is really lacking here, I would've liked to see a Type-C port or Thunderbolt 3. Seems like it should do pretty nicely for the typical student who wants to game and take notes.

Asus, a well known gaming laptop brand, is also hitting this lineup with the new ROG Zephyrus M:

Asus is known for a number of gaming laptops, and its latest ROG Zephyrus M includes Intel’s latest 8th generation Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, and 256GB of NVMe PCIe storage. The 15.6-inch 1080p IPS display also includes 144Hz response rates and support for Nvidia’s G-Sync technology. Asus is shipping three models, one without the G-Sync display and an Nvidia GTX 1060, and two with the high refresh rate display and either a GTX 1060 or GTX 1070. Asus is also equipping all three models with a single Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port, four USB ports, and a HDMI 2.0 port.

The cheapest model with a GTX 1060 and 120Hz display will be priced at $1,499, while the 144Hz display and GTX 1060 model will cost $1,899, and the GTX 1070 with 144Hz display is $2,199. All three models are available for preorder today, will delivery expected later this month.

I'm guessing the lowest priced unit ships with a 1060 3Gb, and the next tier up with a 6Gb. Overall, looks like a promising lineup.

Very interested in seeing what Linus thinks of these.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/3/17192022/intel-6-core-processor-gaming-laptops-list

Edited by Crunchy Dragon
forgot to link source lol

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

It's a shame AMD hasn't gotten together a 45w  6 core and 8 core lineup.

AMD could do a lot to innovate in that area. Yes I know it'd be expensive for them to make due to larger die + need for VEGA iGPU.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

AMD could do a lot to innovate in that area. Yes I know it'd be expensive for them to make due to larger die + need for VEGA iGPU.

Yeah, AMD's really been lacking in the mobile lineup. Even back during the Kaveri APUs, I only saw one or two A6-based laptops over the span of like 3-4 years.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah, AMD's really been lacking in the mobile lineup. Even back during the Kaveri APUs, I only saw one or two A6-based laptops over the span of like 3-4 years.

Their Ryzen 2000 notebook APUs are fine (for thin and light laptops) but I have a feeling something serious is stopping AMD from competing against Intel's 45w H products.

It could very well be die size.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

They could make a High End Laptop CPU based on the Epyc 3251, 3201 Embedded line. It would required a dGPU. but for a Gaming/Pro laptop that would be ok

5ac5216a4b9fc_EpycTable.PNG.822eeca1e9c0b87203620628bf3d9420.PNG

FYI the 3251 and worse are single die, and all other are dual die.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Also, what are your thoughts on the core i9 laptop chip? You didn't mention it in the post so I figured you might not have heard. Intel launched an i9 6C/12T SKU which is almost identical to the i7 but with faster clocks.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

They could make a High End Laptop CPU based on the Epyc 3251, 3201 Embedded line.

The problem is that 1 Ryzen CCX takes up almost as much space as Vega 10 iGPU.

And so if AMD wants to have 6 cores they'd need 2 CCXs + the VEGA 10 iGPU.

Which is wayyy larger than they're willing to go (at least for desktops).

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The problem is that 1 Ryzen CCX takes up almost as much space as Vega 10 iGPU.

And so if AMD wants to have 6 cores they'd need 2 CCXs + the VEGA 10 iGPU.

Which is wayyy larger than they're willing to go (at least for desktops).

look at my updated post.

They could release now a laptop CPU that requires a dGPU, most of the high end laptops this would be useful for already have dGPU's

EDIT: or a laptop manufacture can just used those CPU's i listed in a laptop.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

look at my updated post.

They could release now a laptop CPU that requires a dGPU, most of the high end laptops this would be useful for already have dGPU's

Yes but many laptops connect their display to the iGPU and not a dGPU.

The aero 15x looks so dumb. A 4k panel on a laptop with a 1070. Enjoy your low 40's and high 30's in games

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

They're spending so much time making super high end laptops with i9s & 8 cores super 1080s, but I would like to hope I am not the only one wishing they focused on budget orientated/low power consumption laptop CPUs for just general web use, like a new lineup of netbooks with celerons not atoms :D

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The Verge published an article listing some of the new laptops from Gigabyte, Asus, Acer, and Samsung that will be using Intel's new Coffee Lake-based 6-core i5 and i7 chips.

This last bit makes me laugh: "Processors don't matter as much to gaming(outside of VR) as a modern GPU". As if you don't need a powerful CPU just to keep up with a 1080Ti.

The first one on the list to ship with Intel's new Coffee Lake mobile chips is the Acer Nitro 5:

Not sure about you guys, but I do love a good IPS panel.

Next is Gigabyte's Aero 15 and 15X:

Interested in seeing esports and competitive games on this one, I don't see 144Hz on laptops very often. Again, love the IPS. I/O isn't lacking too badly either.

How long as it been since Samsung released a gaming laptop? Their upcoming Odyssey Z seems fairly promising:

I/O is really lacking here, I would've liked to see a Type-C port or Thunderbolt 3. Seems like it should do pretty nicely for the typical student who wants to game and take notes.

Asus, a well known gaming laptop brand, is also hitting this lineup with the new ROG Zephyrus M:

I'm guessing the lowest priced unit ships with a 1060 3Gb, and the next tier up with a 6Gb. Overall, looks like a promising lineup.

Very interested in seeing what Linus thinks of these.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/3/17192022/intel-6-core-processor-gaming-laptops-list

With the slow advancement of laptop cooling it will be interesting to see what Intel expects of the Laptop manufactures to come up with. The fact that high end laptops today struggle with a quad core that isn't being nerfed in anyway makes me wonder what extremes the companies will do to make there computers not sound like a jet engine. 

19 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Their Ryzen 2000 notebook APUs are fine (for thin and light laptops) but I have a feeling something serious is stopping AMD from competing against Intel's 45w H products.

It could very well be die size.

19 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well , in theory , AMD could bring their ryzen die to laptops with lower clocks , as an easy way to get 6 or 8 cores in a low TDP . It would require a Dgpu , but if these are marketed in gaming/workstation laptops , it could be a decent idea.

Problem is that AMD are basically re-using 2 dies for their entire lineup . Their 8 core summit ridge die and 4C + 11CU raven ridge die . Die size isn't the problem here as their 2700u chip is basically an under-clocked 2400g . It's just that AMD simply doesn't have such a chip ( 6-8 core + vega )  ,and i don't see them building one , for multiple reasons. Plus , given the CCX arrangement , it would need to be an 8 core chip.

I heard that AMD had something planned for 45W laptops , but if i remember it was just an energy efficient variant of the existing Raven Ridge lineup .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

19 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

As if you don't need a powerful CPU just to keep up with a 1080Ti.

Well, you don't need 6 cores to do it, that's for sure. These laptops would be better suited with higher clocked quad cores imo.

These chips on the other hand would be great for light workstations with long battery lives, a heavily neglected market at the moment. Everything is either a 1337 g4m1ng laptop or a semi useless paper cutter nowadays...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

These chips on the other hand would be great for light workstations with long battery lives, a heavily neglected market at the moment. Everything is either a 1337 g4m1ng laptop or a semi useless paper cutter nowadays...

ThinkPads have decently long battery life, although most of them definitely aren't light workstations.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

ThinkPads have decently long battery life, although most of them definitely aren't light workstations.

And on top of that Lenovo is gradually moving away from what made thinkpads great in the first place.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

And on top of that Lenovo is gradually moving away from what made thinkpads great in the first place.

Are they? I hadn't noticed. What was so great about the old thinkpads that's different on the new ones?

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Are they? I hadn't noticed. What was so great about the old thinkpads that's different on the new ones?

The keyboard, the focus on functionality over looks and the insane durability. Modern thinkpads are not as good in these departments, to varying degrees - the X1 series definitely misses the mark on all of them and while their workstations are better, they still get the updated (and significantly worse) keyboard.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You missed some of the most interesting laptops with the new processors IMO; the new Dell machines. Sure, they look like last year's Inspiron 15, and they don't have thin bezels, but their laptops consistently get excellent battery life, and I'm stoked to see how they'll do with these processors. Though I wish they'd gotten the Max-P cards too. 

On 4/4/2018 at 1:37 PM, EnergyEclipse said:

They're spending so much time making super high end laptops with i9s & 8 cores super 1080s, but I would like to hope I am not the only one wishing they focused on budget orientated/low power consumption laptop CPUs for just general web use, like a new lineup of netbooks with celerons not atoms :D

There's loads of those as well ;)

Netbooks were terrible machines. If you want something like that maybe look towards a Chromebook. 

On 4/4/2018 at 2:04 PM, dokugolf said:

With the slow advancement of laptop cooling it will be interesting to see what Intel expects of the Laptop manufactures to come up with. The fact that high end laptops today struggle with a quad core that isn't being nerfed in anyway makes me wonder what extremes the companies will do to make there computers not sound like a jet engine. 

Laptop cooling isn't progressing as slowly as you think. Also, these have the same TDP as the older chips, so they'll be no louder. Cores doesn't equate to heat. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You missed some of the most interesting laptops with the new processors IMO; the new Dell machines. Sure, they look like last year's Inspiron 15, and they don't have thin bezels, but their laptops consistently get excellent battery life, and I'm stoked to see how they'll do with these processors. Though I wish they'd gotten the Max-P cards too.

The article I was using as a source didn't have them so...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯