Getting rid of my rental modem/router

V36

So I've been wanting to save a few bucks every month by buying my own modem and router. I have Xfinity 250mbps with their rental modem/router and I'm thinking about getting the following.

Netgear CM700

TP-Link AC3200 OR AC2600

I do want something overkill just in case I decide to get a faster plan. I also want a lot better range.  As for all the devices connected to my wifi at my home I have...

4x phones

2x tablets

1x ring door bell

1x nest camera

3x computers (1 is hardwired)

1x garage door opener (hardwired)

Would the modem/router be a good combo?

Thanks!

The TP-LINK AC3200 is what I have. Absolutely an amazing investment. I was able to get it at 38% off on Amazon at one point so I jumped at it. 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

I see it on Amazon for $144 right now. I mainly need better range compared to the rental unit. My gaming computer is actually on wireless and I've never had an issue the past 2 years with it, However my 5ghz range to my gaming computer is horrible lol

Just now, V36 said:

I see it on Amazon for $144 right now. I mainly need better range compared to the rental unit. My gaming computer is actually on wireless and I've never had an issue the past 2 years with it, However my 5ghz range to my gaming computer is horrible lol

that's the nature of the 5ghz frequency.

Just now, intertan said:

that's the nature of the 5ghz frequency.

haha yeah I'm just hoping a better set up like this would get 5ghz to my computer better. I keep the modem in my master bedroom and my gaming PC is actually really close to it, But its going through 3 walls. My home is about 1900sq ft 

I have the CM700 modem and can say that it has been a real trooper. Every issue I've ever had with internet has been due to frozen lines, cable company equipment failure, or some other such nonsense. Never been a problem with that modem though.

Dunno if this is important to you or not but you'll be kind of limited as to the management of the CM700. Your ISP will have to push firmware updates to it (which is unlikely). But having the logs and frequency table is really helpful if you ever have problems with your internet connection.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, V36 said:

The 5GHz range is horrible. But all in all depends on how far your room is to the router. As long as you have the power set to 8-10 for the 5ghz band, it should be able to penetrate. In retrospect, I can connect to the 5GHz network on the end of my driveway and still watch YouTube videos with ease. Just depends on your product placement.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 hour ago, Razor02097 said:

I have the CM700 modem and can say that it has been a real trooper. Every issue I've ever had with internet has been due to frozen lines, cable company equipment failure, or some other such nonsense. Never been a problem with that modem though.

Dunno if this is important to you or not but you'll be kind of limited as to the management of the CM700. Your ISP will have to push firmware updates to it (which is unlikely). But having the logs and frequency table is really helpful if you ever have problems with your internet connection.

that's good to hear. I honestly won't be doing anything really to the modem. I just want to get it set up and pretty much forget about it lol

1 hour ago, Hiitchy said:

The 5GHz range is horrible. But all in all depends on how far your room is to the router. As long as you have the power set to 8-10 for the 5ghz band, it should be able to penetrate. In retrospect, I can connect to the 5GHz network on the end of my driveway and still watch YouTube videos with ease. Just depends on your product placement.

the way my house is laid out, My PC and modem are about 30-40 feet apart MAX but its going through 2-3 walls. I would think it would have a much better connection then it really does though. My 2.4 barely reaches my ring door bell and if I'm in my garage... I HAVE to turn off my wifi on my phone or it would keep trying to connect.

What is the fastest you can go on your internet plan 

if you can go from 250 MBPS to 1gbps than you wanna a router that can handle more than 1 GPBS or else you will pay for more and get slower speeds

1 hour ago, BigMunchiesGaming said:

What is the fastest you can go on your internet plan 

if you can go from 250 MBPS to 1gbps than you wanna a router that can handle more than 1 GPBS or else you will pay for more and get slower speeds

i believe its 400mbps. I was on 150mbps for the longest time and never had issues. I recently went to 250mbps and I'm pretty happy with the speed. I just want better range and save a little money by using my own modem/router

Yes please stop giving Comcast money for renting their equipment. The money you save with pay for your own equipment. 

The modem you're looking at looks damn good and should last you till you move away from cable internet. If I'm looking at the specs correcly then it's rated at 1400 Mbps. 

As for routers, I only have experience with Netgear Nighthawk's and an old Belkin. Read reviews is all the advice I can give for routers

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

8 hours ago, Razor02097 said:

our ISP will have to push firmware updates to it (which is unlikely)

Comcast tests and pushes firmware updates to customer owned modems all the time. If its on their supported devices list then its been tested and gets updates. Its the only good thing those fuckers do. 

The CM700 should be able to handle most things. If you end up going Gigabit in the future you will need a Docsis 3.1 modem. But many areas dont have Gigabit yet, plus its expensive. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Range is determined by standard not your modem/router also working for an ISP if you purchase your own msot ISPs will now declare you respnsible so they cant do much troubleshooting. liability and lack of documentation falls into play. Jsut be sure you knwo what your getting into when ya do it. If ya wantm ore range buy a extender. the 802.11 standard is kinda set on range.

Thanks for all the replies. 

Im pretty set on the cm700 now. Still a bit torn on what router I should get.

12 minutes ago, V36 said:

Thanks for all the replies. 

Im pretty set on the cm700 now. Still a bit torn on what router I should get.

The 2600AC should be plenty in my opinion. I got the Synology RT2600AC and it seems to do fine. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.