i5-8400 may retire and some new SKUs come out.

Jurrunio
3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

The i5 being much cheaper? you're wrong the h110 with an i7 6700 and stock cooler was considerable cheaper than a z170 with the i5 6600k and beefy cooling to achieve overclocks while the locked i7 still outperformed it across the board ;]~

And now at coffee lake my locked i7 8700 has the single thread of the i7 7700k at stock on around 190~ cb while smashing it on multi-thread... so much for "overclocking is future proofing".

When you're going to spend on building your own PC,why not spend the extra few dollars for the unlocked i7 8700k or even save some money and get a R7 1700?

I'd agree that overclocking doesn't make your PC "future proof" but when you can get another 10-15% out of your CPU with a reasonable overclock,not the extreme kind of thing when you need water blocks and large radiators, it's more out of your cpu for free or little more. For me personally, i'd rather just buy a pre-built if i'm going to settle for a locked cpu.

12 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

When you're going to spend on building your own PC,why not spend the extra few dollars for the unlocked i7 8700k or even save some money and get a R7 1700?

I'd agree that overclocking doesn't make your PC "future proof" but when you can get another 10-15% out of your CPU with a reasonable overclock,not the extreme kind of thing when you need water blocks and large radiators, it's more out of your cpu for free or little more. For me personally, i'd rather just buy a pre-built if i'm going to settle for a locked cpu.

10% improvement when you are going to spend well more than 10% for a motherboard  to support it on intel and for Ryzen you are literally throwing money away buying anything over the 1600 as its the same chip just underclocked. 

Also its 10% in benchmarks, not necessarily real world. 

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Sooo... Why does the G5600 have 2MB less L3 cache?

I dunno. Setting a higher multiplier didn't seem like all that much fun to me. It was about as fun as setting a higher RAM speed :P

I still wanna smack @MageTank for teaching me how to OC ram... It's like my new hobby, but for some reason the OC on the ram causes my igpu to trip out so I'm at stock >.> (Til I get a new gpu :P )

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

6 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

All these locked CPU's and chipsets that can't OC makes no sense to me.

Why would anyone want the a non K CPU with Ryzen 2 just around the corner.

Chinese market eats up anything intel

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

3 hours ago, XenosTech said:

I still wanna smack @MageTank for teaching me how to OC ram... It's like my new hobby, but for some reason the OC on the ram causes my igpu to trip out so I'm at stock >.> (Til I get a new gpu :P )

If that is the case, you need to adjust VCCSA. Had that issue myself when I tombstoned a capacitor on my 1080 Ti, and used my iGPU on my 7700k. Just a tiny tweak to VCCSA is all you need. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

when I tombstoned a capacitor on my 1080 Ti

Quick, someone make a GIF with the caption "Real-life depiction". 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

If that is the case, you need to adjust VCCSA. Had that issue myself when I tombstoned a capacitor on my 1080 Ti, and used my iGPU on my 7700k. Just a tiny tweak to VCCSA is all you need. 

think i already had that at the "safe" volatage

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

think i already had that at the "safe" volatage

It's not a matter of going up, sometimes, too much VCCSA will lead to instability. For example: Mine was at 1.14v when I ran my kit at 3600 C14-14-14-28-2 on my 1080 Ti, but upon booting the iGPU, I actually had to tweak it down to 1.12v. I won't even pretend to understand why the signaling is altered when using higher VCCSA, but I know from experience that it is true. VCCIO and VCCSA both have voltages that they prefer, and others that they tolerate. Finding out the perfect values for both is a very time consuming effort, and only really works after you've figured out the limitations of the IMC itself, and how your boards power delivery and I/O pathing works. 

Also, I've been extremely busy with work, but I am very eager to show off my latest memory OC on Coffeelake. Still finalizing the stability side of things, but so far, 3866 C15-15-15-30-1 is turning out to be a real treat as far as benching goes. The kicker being, I am able to run it with even less VDIMM than what I was using on my 7700k. This IMC is something else :P

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

52 minutes ago, MageTank said:

It's not a matter of going up, sometimes, too much VCCSA will lead to instability. For example: Mine was at 1.14v when I ran my kit at 3600 C14-14-14-28-2 on my 1080 Ti, but upon booting the iGPU, I actually had to tweak it down to 1.12v. I won't even pretend to understand why the signaling is altered when using higher VCCSA, but I know from experience that it is true. VCCIO and VCCSA both have voltages that they prefer, and others that they tolerate. Finding out the perfect values for both is a very time consuming effort, and only really works after you've figured out the limitations of the IMC itself, and how your boards power delivery and I/O pathing works. 

Also, I've been extremely busy with work, but I am very eager to show off my latest memory OC on Coffeelake. Still finalizing the stability side of things, but so far, 3866 C15-15-15-30-1 is turning out to be a real treat as far as benching goes. The kicker being, I am able to run it with even less VDIMM than what I was using on my 7700k. This IMC is something else :P

Shhhh stop giving reasons to tinker in the bios mindlessly 

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

If it ain't broke, time to get breaking :)

*throws salt* shoo I say lol