Building a reasonable priced NAS

Hi guys,

looking for some help/thoughts on building a reasonably priced NAS.

it's partially for fun and the other part is I'm in need of a new NAS anyway. My old 3TB MyCloud does it's job, but wil be running out of storage in de near future.

I'm just curious on your opinion for the NAS OS, i'm leaning on UnRaid for its easier way of expanding the array, but am open to other suggestions if it would make sense.

I've got the following to part lists one AMD and one Intel(I've chosen for 3 2TB drives because that amount of storage is what i'm in need now(4TB storage + 2TB for the parity-drive), and can upgrade later to more, other harddrives or an other case with just more of the same harddrives.:

AMD:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tCtRJ8

Intel:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZRHsZR

Looking forward to your opinions!

Id get bigger drives, Id go for 2x 8tb if you can, you can get 8tb external drives for about 170 these days.

Id go for the intel system with a celeron and a h110 board. 

Unraid will work well here.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id get bigger drives, Id go for 2x 8tb if you can, you can get 8tb external drives for about 170 these days.

Agreed larger drives

3 minutes ago, Quadrum said:

Understandable but must say that i would really like to build it, because as explained in the original its something fun I'd want to do. I like building it, its like a project you can work on, expand and re-use in the future. But i will keep the option for a non-selfbuild NAS in mind!

Thanks!

Just now, L-v-R said:

Understandable but must say that i would really like to build it, because as explained in the original its something fun I'd want to do. I like building it, its like a project you can work on, expand and re-use in the future. But i will keep the option for a non-selfbuild NAS in mind!

Thanks!

Then rock on! Good luck and go with the intel system and larger drives!

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

More something like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zjg4q4

Thanks for the advice

I would get drives with a longer warranty period. WD reds are more expensive but have somehting like 4 years warranty.

Considering that you are going to use the drives often in a NAS system, it would be better to have a longer warranty period.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

2 minutes ago, L-v-R said:

More something like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zjg4q4

Thanks for the advice

Id get these drives https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHLGC

Take them out of case and wd reds.

otherwise looks fine.

1 minute ago, Eibe said:

I would get drives with a longer warranty period. WD reds are more expensive but have somehting like 4 years warranty.

Considering that you are going to use the drives often in a NAS system, it would be better to have a longer warranty period.

Really won't make a big difference due to bathtub curve of failure. Drives are most likely to fail in the first few months or after around 5 years, so the warranty durning years 3-5 really won't help here.

3 minutes ago, Eibe said:

and really, thats a 5 year warranty drive, you aren't getting much better than that even on enterprise drives.

Id would get nas drives though for the lower power and less things like head parking.

Thanks for all the great advice, probably gonna go with two ironwolf 6TB or 8TB drives, a bit cheaper then the WD reds i think in my area. i can always expend later when or money maybe less of a problem or the array capacity is to low. 

Again thanks!