Dual 144Hz Monitors

Chaffy
Go to solution Solved by JoostinOnline,

Try switching the cables and see if it works.  You can also try creating a custom resolution.  I had to do that to make my monitor 144hz.

Hello!

I have just purchased a 2nd ASUS VG248QE monitor to match my 1st one. Both are capable of running at 144Hz. The first monitor runs 144Hz just fine, and has done so for almost a year now. I bought the 2nd monitor because of my janky corner desk setup, I use a controller for certain video games, etc. etc. My problem is that the new monitor will not go to 144Hz, and only has 60Hz as a refresh rate option in the display adapter properties, while the original still has the typical 60, 85, 100, 120, and 144Hz refresh rate availability. 

A couple notes on my setup: 

GPU - MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming (I'm using DVI for both monitors, so the GPU shouldn't be the issue since it does have 2 dual-link ports, but I could be wrong)

CPU - i7 6700k @ stock 4.0GHz

RAM - 16 GB

If there's any other information I need to supply let me know. I'd really like to get this fixed so I can make good use of my new monitor. :)

Try switching the cables and see if it works.  You can also try creating a custom resolution.  I had to do that to make my monitor 144hz.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

could it be the second cable you are using isnt a dual link cable maybe ?

Personally id stick a display port connection on it and see if that makes it work. 

33 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Surprisingly, this worked. I now have both monitors running at 144Hz, however I can't keep it like this because there's now a cable streteched across my keyboard (1 DVI cable is significantly shorter in length.) I'll try messing around a bit and seeing if I can fully fix this. 

1 minute ago, Chaffy said:

Surprisingly, this worked. I now have both monitors running at 144Hz, however I can't keep it like this because there's now a cable streteched across my keyboard (1 DVI cable is significantly shorter in length.) I'll try messing around a bit and seeing if I can fully fix this. 

if you switch the cables back does it stop working again ? if so then try switching the ports the cables connect to at the back of the card instead and see if that weirdly fixes the issue too. 

Just now, factorialandha said:

if you switch the cables back does it stop working again ? if so then try switching the ports the cables connect to at the back of the card instead and see if that weirdly fixes the issue too. 

I swapped the cables to where they're supposed to be and it now works. This has truly been the stupidest method of fixing a monitor's refresh rate as I've ever seen. xD Thanks for the input @JoostinOnline and @factorialandha :)