The Intel VS AMD FanBoy Argument Thread - ITS TIME TO END THIS!

WELCOME TO THE ARGUMENT THREAD OF ALL ARGUMENT THREADS

TL/DR: Intel and AMD today are both great! Why is everyone still Arguing???

We all know what this is, so let's get right into it!

Systems I have owned:

Intel Pentium Based

Intel Core i5 Based

Intel Core i7 Based

AMD Phenom II Based

AMD Ryzen 5 Based (Current, see build log in signature)

So it would seem that when somebody asks for advice on what system they should build, the FanBoys on this forum always start a war over it. So now, I am going to explain why I like BOTH Intel and AMD systems today, why BOTH systems could meet your needs, and why the FanBoys on this forum need to stop continuously getting peoples threads  locked up due to stupid FanBoy arguments!

INTEL

Intel is the KING of gaming, and anyone with any sort of education on the subject will know this well. Intel's higher clock speeds, IPCs, and overclocking ability have made it the premier choice for enthusiasts for many years. Now lets not sugar coat this too much, the fact of the matter is that Intel-Based systems come with a premium. Intel systems have, and probably always will cost more than their AMD counterparts. You do, however, get what you pay for. Intel systems are generally more stable, use higher quality motherboards, and are backed by Intel's superior R&D funding.

Make no mistake, there was a reason why Intel became a monopoly in the home PC market of all kinds for nearly 15 years as AMD struggled with its Phenom and FX series of CPUs. This monopoly continued until 2017 when AMD finally struck back in the high-performance department with a series of CPUs that would change the industry forever, and usher in a new era of competition, finally forcing Intel to offer competitive pricing on the market.

AMD (Specifically Ryzen)

AMD has had, lets say a checkered history, at best. The smaller R&D funds coupled with Intel dominance meant that for years, AMD never stood a chance. But then in 2017, Ryzen premiered. The first EVER competitive, high-end, high-performance CPU series from AMD in the modern age. AMD finally had simultaneous multi-treading, high clock speeds (relatively speaking), and high IPC performance. Did it reach performance high enough to take the crown from Intel? Not quite, but it came close, and THAT is what matters.

When Ryzen premiered, the Intel Core i7 7700K was the undisputed King and obvious choice for any serious enthusiast with the money to spend. However, the Ryzen 7 1700's and 1800's, with DOUBLE the core and threads count while only being slightly behind in sheer frame rate performance, meant that Ryzen was now the obvious choice for anyone who had any common sense. However, Ryzen systems had issues at launch. With booting problems, RAM compatibility problems, RAM speed issues, and stability problems. However, this was corrected with firmware and software updates over time and Ryzen became a truly worthy adversary for Intel, metaphorically smashing the 7000 series of Intel CPUs and taking back a large chunk of the market share.

THE ARGUMENTS

With Intel's newest 8000 series of CPUs now having more cores and threads, the argument from Intel fans is that the higher IPCs and clock speeds combined with increased stability makes Intel the obvious choice once again. Meanwhile, the AMD fans argue that the higher core and thread counts of Ryzen, combined with lower motherboard cost and unlocked overclocking abilities on far more hardware at more reasonable pricing, makes AMD the obvious choice of today. While both of these arguments are 100% correct, let me explain why none of this matters, and why both sides are great choices today:

Most PC enthusiasts are looking for a machine that can play video games well, at high frame rates with low latency and high quality; while also being able to perform multi-threaded workloads at high speeds with efficiency and accuracy. The thing is, BOTH Ryzen and Intel both already do this TODAY. Yes, Intel machines can hit that magical 144Hz that makes gaming simply insanely fast and responsive, but Ryzen is very close to the 144Hz mark after all of the BIOS updates and sorting out of bugs.

Ryzen 2000 series CPUs are right around the corner; CPUs that WILL hit the 144Hz mark just as the Intel 8000 series CPUs do right now. And while Intel will continue to have slightly better IPC and frame rate stats, Ryzen will be within spitting distance with the new Ryzen 2000 setup. Besides, MOST people are just fine with 60 FPS gaming, I know I am so long as I do not experience frame drops below 60 FPS, and Ryzen CPUs ALREADY do this AND 100 FPS rock-solid stable. So once Ryzen 2000 CPUs are taking care of 144Hz without a problem, how can you claim superiority towards Intel or AMD?

Intel will continue to have slightly better IPCs and Clock speeds than AMD with each generation, while AMD will continue to have more cores, more threads, and better value with each generation. So after Ryzen 2000 premieres, the only thing that will matter is what you use your machine for. If you need higher clock speeds, then go Intel. If you need more cores and threads, go AMD. Its as simple as that people, the gaming world will be level.

If you want to try to explain to me why 200 FPS even matters, or why Intel sucks or AMD sucks, please feel free to comment. Spoiler alert, I will simply be laughing at you, but that is what this thread is for. So, why did I choose Ryzen this time around? Well, A.) Its nice to see AMD on the high-end side of things and naturally I was anxious to take the new kid on the block for a spin. But mostly, I am sick of Intel's monopoly, and until the Global Market Share levels out quite a bit, I just don't fell comfortable with purchasing another Intel-Based system. My new Ryzen 5 rig is a BEAST of a gaming and productivity machine and it is more than I could have ever dreamed of, especially for the price, so I am happy.

I will say though that if I were to build a new system TODAY with brand new parts, I WOULD prefer the i7-8700K. This is because buying a brand new set of Ryzen hardware right now just makes no sense at all with the next generation coming in less than 3 weeks time. But once Ryzen 2000 hits the shelves, that will be an ENTIRELY different story. Cheers, and enjoy the arguments!

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

Im sorry I'm not reading that

Also isn't this like a violation of the CS?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

AyyMD.

Shintel.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I wouldn't think so since it's just stating facts. 

2 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

No Trolling

• This includes flame wars such as NVIDIA vs AMD, political or religious debate.

From the CS. 

Also, I'd like to disagree with a few points raised (and not raised). 

:)

2 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Possibly, but Im taking a neutral stance, and there kinda needs to be a place for this. Ive seen like 10 threads get locked up in like the past 3 days due to stupid fanboy arguments, people apparently need a place to do this.

Current Build Thread:

Just now, WallacEngineering said:

Possibly, but Im taking a neutral stance, and there kinda needs to be a place for this. Ive seen like 10 threads get locked up in like the past 3 days due to stupid fanboy arguments, people apparently need a place to do this.

what makes you think that this thread is going to be civilized?

also inb4.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, WallacEngineering said:

Possibly, but Im taking a neutral stance,

Its hard to tell, you need to add a TL;DR because I doubt many will read your post

1 minute ago, WallacEngineering said:

people apparently need a place to do this.

People on the internet are stubborn. They won't change their minds for the sake of being "right"

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

10 hours ago, seon123 said:

From the CS. 

Also, I'd like to disagree with a few points raised (and not raised). 

Ah well crap, but Im taking a neutral stance, and usually threads are locked up due to arguments cluttering up peoples threads and ruining topics, Im not sure this applies when the thread is SPECIFICALLY designed to help people get all of this crud out of their systems

10 hours ago, QuantumBit said:

Its hard to tell, you need to add a TL;DR because I doubt many will read your post

People on the internet are stubborn. They won't change their minds for the sake of being "right"

True that, I will add one now, also truuuuueeee dat! But Im hoping this will help :) lolololololol!

Current Build Thread:

-Thread locked-

Flame war topics are against the Community Standards

No Trolling

• This includes flame wars such as NVIDIA vs AMD, political or religious debate.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!