Is the 6gb version worth the price jump?

Olli_

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a new GPU and will hopefully be purchasing it at the end of the month to start my build. I am Abit confused as to what one to choose this is the current one I am looking at https://www.amazon.co.uk/DUAL-GTX1060-O3G-NVIDIA-GeForce-Express-Graphics/dp/B01KADYYT4/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1522259279&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+1060+3gb is it worth to go for the 6gb version? It's an extra £70 or so for it. Also is there much of a difference between the 1050 ti and the 1060 3gb.

Thanks for the help. 

Just now, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

No, the difference in performance is too small to justify the price difference, even when the cards are at MSRP.

There's a 3Gb VRAM boost, as well as a bit of a boost in CUDA cores, I would say it's worth it.

The 6Gb can even dip into 1440p as well.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

10 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

There's a 3Gb VRAM boost, as well as a bit of a boost in CUDA cores, I would say it's worth it.

The 6Gb can even dip into 1440p as well.

But what if my monitor is just a 1080p one is it still worth it then? 

Just now, Olli_ said:

Yeah, it'll last longer. I'm of the opinion that the minimum 3Gb VRAM isn't going to last too much longer, games are starting to get more demanding.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Olli_ said:

yes, I am using around 5G vram in forza horizon 3 at 1080p (maxed out though)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, ErykYT3 said:

The extra 3gb is quite the jump, but I don't think that justifies being an extra £70.

depends on the games you play. The 1060-6gb is a beast compared to the 3gb variant. its more than just the amount of VRAM that changes. think of the 6gb as the "Ti" variant. 

IMHO for me it was worth the jump, esp saying vram is a limiting factor in alot of new games now and 3gb just barely cuts it with some settings turned down

4 minutes ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

The 1060-6gb is a beast compared to the 3gb variant.

Not really.  It's a 10% difference at most.  My 1060 6GB and my friend's 1060 3GB perform almost the same.  The VRAM is only a problem when you reach settings that neither card can get 60fps at.  The 6GB will crush the 3GB one at Ultra on a new game, but at that point the 6GB one is still only getting 30-40fps anyway.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, FlatBrokeRacing said:

depends on the games you play. The 1060-6gb is a beast compared to the 3gb variant. its more than just the amount of VRAM that changes. think of the 6gb as the "Ti" variant. 

IMHO for me it was worth the jump, esp saying vram is a limiting factor in alot of new games now and 3gb just barely cuts it with some settings turned down

Agreed, my GTX 780(roughly a 1060 3G) is struggling a bit in some games, PUBG needs to be played at 720p Lowest to run at a playable framerate.

3 minutes ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

It will be most AAA games open world games ect, I have a PS4 as well but I'll be using that only for exclusives wanted to swap to PC so will be playing most of the popular games on it.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Agreed, my GTX 780(roughly a 1060 3G) is struggling a bit in some games, PUBG needs to be played at 720p Lowest to run at a playable framerate.

A 980 is a lot closer to a 1060 3GB.  Have you ever used one?

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Appreciate all the help so far still on the fence Abit in which one to go for and if it's worth saving and putting that extra money towards extra storage or something else for my build I guess the 1050 is out of the question.

Edited by Olli_

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

A 970 is a lot closer to a 1060 3GB.  Have you ever used one?

FTFY ;) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

FTFY ;) 

No, a 980.  I just recently used them side by side.

Edit: I should clarify that it was a FE 980 and an overclocked 1060.  The 980 wouldn't budge an inch when attempting to OC it.

A 980 is a lot closer to a 1060 3GB.  Have you ever used one?

Only when testing an Oculus Rift for maybe 10 minutes, no actual in-depth personal experience. I have tested my 780 against my friend's 1060 3Gb, they perform about the same.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Only when testing an Oculus Rift for maybe 10 minutes, no actual in-depth personal experience. I have tested my 780 against my friend's 1060 3Gb, they perform about the same.

I'm sure there is some variation on games, but my friend went from a 1060 3GB to a 980 and the difference was almost imperceptible.  The only difference was when he pushed the settings up in FFXV.  He doesn't mind playing sub-60fps as long as it gets flashy graphics, so it was absolutely passing the 3GB point.

There is absolutely no question that a 6GB is better, but how much better depends on what you consider playable settings.  Also see my edit, as it may not have been an entirely fair comparison.

I'm sure there is some variation on games, but my friend went from a 1060 3GB to a 980 and the difference was almost imperceptible.  The only difference was when he pushed the settings up in FFXV.  He doesn't mind playing sub-60fps as long as it gets flashy graphics, so it was absolutely passing the 3GB point.

There is absolutely no question that a 6GB is better, but how much better depends on what you consider playable settings.  Also see my edit, as it may not have been an entirely fair comparison.

Ah I see that now. Yeah, I had to overclock my 780 a bit to catch up to the 1060 3Gb.

Think I am going to go with the 3gb version I'm on a bit of a tight budget and don't really want to spend nearly £100 more for a slightly better performance boost. Thanks for the help.