Do you still need to download drivers when building a new pc?

XxRustyxX
Go to solution Solved by dionkoffie,

Not if you install Windows 10 with an internet connection. It'll download everything automatically during the setup.

Hi tomorrow im building my new pc, was wondering if i still have to download any drivers beforehand, like internet and such, well specially internet after internet i dont care, or do i not need to, this are the specs (sry for horrible typing btw, english not my main language and quite tired zzz)

Aorus gaming 7

i7 8700k

gtx 1080

3600mhz trident z rgb

960 evo 1tb

Yes, I just download the latest drivers from Intel/Nvidia etc and skip the DVD.

yes cause stuff like your GPU (if aplicable) wont work correctly i think

2 minutes ago, XxRustyxX said:

Hi tomorrow im building my new pc, was wondering if i still have to download any drivers beforehand, like internet and such, well specially internet after internet i dont care, or do i not need to, this are the specs (sry for horrible typing btw, english not my main language and quite tired zzz)

Aorus gaming 7

i7 8700k

gtx 1080

3600mhz trident z rgb

960 evo 1tb

If you're using Windows, Windows Update will install a lot of drivers it thinks you need when you're installing it.

The only real driver you need to manually download at this point is GPU drivers.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you're using Windows, Windows Update will install a lot of drivers it thinks you need when you're installing it.

The only real driver you need to manually download at this point is GPU drivers.

but the internet driver, do i need to install or get this beforehand? thats actually my main question tho i typed it horribly, like do i need to go to gigabyte and get the aorus 7 internet driver or nah?

Not if you install Windows 10 with an internet connection. It'll download everything automatically during the setup.

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

While that is true, would you get more recent drivers for the motherboard chipset and such from Intel etc?

Just now, dionkoffie said:

oh ok so then i just install windows with the cable plugged and thats it i get da internets?

I personally do download my drivers I need for my chipset, video card etc before building the PC so I have the proper ones and not the microsoft ones. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

I personally do download my drivers I need for my chipset, video card etc before building the PC so I have the proper ones and not the microsoft ones. 

is there really a big difference? i mean for internet i dont think it matters does it, otherwise u can always get the good ones after.

2 minutes ago, XxRustyxX said:

but the internet driver, do i need to install or get this beforehand? thats actually my main question tho i typed it horribly, like do i need to go to gigabyte and get the aorus 7 internet driver or nah?

When I install Windows, the ethernet drivers usually get installed in the process.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Ok great, thx for every1 response, as most of you answered this correctly ill just pick some1 so this thread is finished.

3 minutes ago, XxRustyxX said:

is there really a big difference? i mean for internet i dont think it matters does it, otherwise u can always get the good ones after.

Most of the time in my experience the ones from Microsoft are either old, or generic. I am one who likes to make sure I have the latest and most up to date drivers at install. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

19 minutes ago, lukemckay4 said:

yes cause stuff like your GPU (if aplicable) wont work correctly i think

GPU drivers come along with windows update, but they're the WHQL channel, not the "game-ready" channel most gamers would prefer.

in *some* cases, it *can* make a measurable difference.

It would work fine but would still be updating to latest drivers and installing some motherboard utilities etc. 
Updating to the latest BIOS is also recommended 

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

40 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

Not all the time. My machine doesn't have audio drivers or networking drivers in Windows 10, and I also have to install GPU drivers. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Yes.  If you want the latest GPU drivers you need to download them.

I also have some USB headphones that do not work properly without drivers.

as @dionkoffie said, windows 10 with internet will install most of the drivers.just start up windows update and let it be. the only thing it did not install is the audio driver (my mobo uses realtek's), it uses microsoft's audio driver and nvidia drivers is not installed. but u guys reminded me 1 thing and is quite bothering to me, since nvidia driver is not installed yet, y windows is displaying correctly? the hdmi is plugged in to the graphics card and i boot it up then install windows, it display the mobo bios 1st before windows installation starts.

~~~My Desktop~~~

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 6400 Custom Clocked to 3.1Ghz, TurboBoost Disabled

Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-VD

RAM: Kingston 16GB 2133Mhz

GPU: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GAMING X

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 3.5' 1TB Internal Hardisk (WD10EZEX)

Display: LG 20M35

Keyboard: AULA SI-886 MECHANICAL GAMING KEYBOARD 104KEYS Non-Backlit LED with Blue Switches

Mouse: Alcatroz X-Craft Noiz Z8000 Gaming Mouse

Sound: LOGITECH Z313 SPEAKER SYSTEM

Operating System: WINDOWS 10 PRO

PCPartPicker URL: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CFYmP3

~~~My Laptop~~~

Model: ASUS K55VD

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 3210M Processor

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz (one RAM slot dead... RIP)

GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® 610M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM

Storage: 500GB 5400rpm

Operating System: WINDOWS 10 PRO

39 minutes ago, Shannon Chou said:

as @dionkoffie said, windows 10 with internet will install most of the drivers.just start up windows update and let it be. the only thing it did not install is the audio driver (my mobo uses realtek's), it uses microsoft's audio driver and nvidia drivers is not installed. but u guys reminded me 1 thing and is quite bothering to me, since nvidia driver is not installed yet, y windows is displaying correctly? the hdmi is plugged in to the graphics card and i boot it up then install windows, it display the mobo bios 1st before windows installation starts.

Windows will usually detect and install the most recent signed WHQL driver for your graphics card. As manikyath said above this may not be the most up to date driver for your particular graphics card. Whether or not you need the latest driver depends on whether or not you play any games or use applications for which the driver has specific optimisations. The driver that Windows installs is typically several iterations behind the chipset manufacturers 'current' version (but should be reliable).

Provided the Windows installer/Windows Update can find a working internet connection it will pull down usable drivers for most things. Component specific drivers from the manufacturers may provide/enable more features. Having said that it's still not a bad idea to have downloaded essential drivers onto a USB stick or something just in case there are problems.

It depends. You usually always want to install Ethernet drivers unless they're installed automatically, else it's gonna be fine with the pre-installed drivers. Same goes for audio. One driver you DO NOT want to install is the Intel HD Graphics drivers, IF you have a dedicated GPU, because it can and will in many cases cause compatibility issues with DirectX.

That reminds me, I once had a PC in for repair that I reinstalled and ended up not having any USB nor Ethernet drivers, lol ... How do you install the drivers then? Had to burn a fucking CD xD