Which mechanical key switch is best for gaming and daily use

bhabroo

There is no answer, only opinions. If you can, go to your local computer store and test them out. If you cannot test them out I would go with blues or reds. Blue keyswitches are louder and better to type on (imo) but reds seem to be preferred for gaming.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I don't know which are the best but the ones I personally use are cherry mx blue's because, they feel great and I love the tactile feedback you get from them.

I don't really think that there is a "best" mechanical key switch. It is all about personal preference in my opinion.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I use MX Reds for gaming (FPS, MMO, RPG, etc.) and MX Blues for productivity... but if I had to chose one or the other, I would choose the Blues since they are more versatile over all (IMO) 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

I haven't tested out any switches so I can't tell you.

Reds are mainly used for gaming,but people say they're too mushy for typing.

Blues are great overall,you just can't double tap as easy and the sound is either a con or a pro.

Browns are pretty much quieter blues.

Oh,and pretty much the post above me.Go try them if you can.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

There is no answer, only opinions. If you can, go to your local computer store and test them out. If you cannot test them out I would go with blues or reds. Blue keyswitches are louder and better to type on (imo) but reds seem to be preferred for gaming.

^

thats pretty much the only answer available. It's all about personal preferences, whether you like thick mushy switches or very light switches which don't require any force, we can't decide what your preferences are, it's all up to you.

just go with a non linear key switch if u want the best of both worlds i guess.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Games that I play are mostly Fps .

I've typed for extended periods and gamed on blues, reds, blacks and browns. Browns are by far the best. Reds are difficult to type on until you get used to them (takes a long time), blacks make your hands ache until you get used to them (a long time), blues are loud and annoy everyone (even the user), and browns are the perfect medium. I use reds daily and wish I was using browns.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

I get feedback on my reds just fine, cause they're light enough that they bottom out on every stroke anyway.

Again though, it's totally personal. I don't understand why anyone thinks blues are okay for gaming for example, they drive ME mad.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

For all around use, My Logitech G710+ with its browns and o-rings is really nice, it gets all the jobs done well. Although, I really like blues for typing, although have never gamed on blues. I got a monoprice cheapish blue switch keyboard, for typing it is pretty amazing.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Their all great it just depends on which one you think feels the best.

I would suggest browns for gaming and typing, BUT I will use blues when I get them.... so yeah, xD I've now tried blues, browns, reds and blacks and by far my favorite are blues... BUT saying that I love Buckling springs and Alps MOAR..... but actually I really liked the browns, but they did have o rings on them... anyways they feel like blues but no sound feedback and the loud clicks they make really don't annoy me.... I honestly think that my favorite switches are in the Matias tactile pro 4..... uses  The Matias switch (click) and is a clone of the Alps SKBM White

basically it's your opinion is what I'm trying to get at xD....

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Like Fate said, there is no answer. A lot of gamers prefer Blues, but they are them, not you. We don't have a way to tell what switch you'll like, so go try some out at a store.

There is no answer, only opinions. If you can, go to your local computer store and test them out. If you cannot test them out I would go with blues or reds. Blue keyswitches are louder and better to type on (imo) but reds seem to be marketed for gaming.

Fixed.

Reds are the lightest of the 4 major switches. Everyone who first buys a mechanical keyboard always think blues are really cool, because an annoying noise is the real reason you want a keyboard.

Jokes aside, you should try them out. I found a lot of people likes Blues/Browns when transitioning from membrane to mechanical but if you like light switches red may be what you're looking for and if you like to type like you want your desk to break you might want blacks or something heavier like greens.

Fixed.

Reds are the lightest of the 4 major switches. Everyone who first buys a mechanical keyboard always think blues are really cool, because an annoying noise is the real reason you want a keyboard.

Jokes aside, you should try them out. I found a lot of people likes Blues/Browns when transitioning from membrane to mechanical but if you like light switches red may be what you're looking for and if you like to type like you want your desk to break you might want blacks or something heavier like greens.

I feel my desk is going to break with reds and brown since all I do it bottom out on them like a boss causing more fatigue on my fingers than using a heavier switch and not bottoming out. I think people need to realize that lighter is not always better. If you have more resistance it will come up quicker, also it may prompt you to not bottom out all the way since the force increases the further you press they key down. The spring in red, brown, and blue is so light that you barely notice it if at all before bottoming out. I left blues out since that click and are more tactile than browns that after regular use you can learn to not bottom out easily enough. I think the optimal switch would probably be a Panda Clear (Clear with Black spring) since the clear is really tactile but man even for me that spring is a bit strong if your not used to clears or switch around board on a regular basis.