Learning a new language

Dragonriser

I recently passed out my High school and   I am currently free for about 5 months now. Can you  suggest any programming language I should learn. I know Html and that is all for now.  I am learning from sololearn.com and alison.com which provide various languages like ruby, javascript etc Any suggestion for a site will be appreciated for leanring sites and  forums

I did start core java 3 days ago and codeacademy and code.org are where I have enrolled today

https://stackoverflow.com/

this is one of the best forums dedicated for coding, it has a ton of Q & A's from various students and learners and if you have a question its likely someone else already asked it

if not you can ask yourself and get responses from experience programmers

JavaScript gets my vote along with angular 5. then you can use the MEAN stack (mongoose, express, angular, node) and make full applications in basically one language.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

6 hours ago, Dragonriser said:

I recently passed out my High school and   I am currently free for about 5 months now. Can you  suggest any programming language I should learn. I know Html and that is all for now.  I am learning from sololearn.com and alison.com which provide various languages like ruby, javascript etc Any suggestion for a site will be appreciated for leanring sites and  forums

Well, that depends: What do you want to do?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

6 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Well, that depends: What do you want to do?

I dont know about latest languages like kotlin ruby so i wanted a suggestion and also recommend some great websites where i can learn

1 minute ago, Dragonriser said:

I dont know about latest languages like kotlin ruby so i wanted a suggestion and also recommend some great websites where i can learn

I meant, what tasks do you want to solve with programming? The language families that you should select can be narrowed down significantly with this information.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I want to get familiar with web development languages say making good looking websites and also managment

I want to get familiar with web development languages say making good looking websites and also managment though my main concern is learning something like layered motion webpages and desktop apps

3 hours ago, Dragonriser said:

I want to get familiar with web development languages say making good looking websites and also managment

3 hours ago, Dragonriser said:

I want to get familiar with web development languages say making good looking websites and also managment though my main concern is learning something like layered motion webpages and desktop apps

Then node for the server and angular/react for the front end.

Python or C# would be fairly easy to learn and likely be very useful for future you.

thanks for your suggestion angular, python , c# and java I will now choose between these though angular will be completely alien to me

5 hours ago, Dragonriser said:

thanks for your suggestion angular, python , c# and java I will now choose between these though angular will be completely alien to me

Learn angular 5. Don't use angularJS.

3 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Learn angular 5. Don't use angularJS.

There's already a 5th version? O.o

Angular isn’t a programming language though. It makes no sense to say learn angular as a programming language when you are actually programming JavaScript in it.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Angular isn’t a programming language though. It makes no sense to say learn angular as a programming language when you are actually programming JavaScript in it.

Well angular 5 is type script. It wasn't a programming suggest. Ok said he was going to learn angular. I suggested to learn 5

On 3/24/2018 at 1:06 PM, Dragonriser said:

Css is a style formatted like html but does different things. 

JavaScript will help with the other parts of front end. 

Backend needs languages like python/C# and databases use sql. (Pronounced sequel but I say “es cue el”)

On 3/25/2018 at 12:49 PM, MyName13 said:

There's already a 5th version? O.o

AngularJS and Angular 2/4/5 are two different frameworks, there are only a few similarities. AngularJS is easier to get started in and better for small projects (I use it with Firebase to very quickly knock out prototype apps and tools) while Angular 5 is mostly written in TypeScript and is supposedly better for enterprise projects (the difficulty of getting a simple app working with it is much higher).

Are you planning to program professionally or just as a hobby?

Web Developer and Java contractor

Then I'd suggest making some simple sites or single page apps (website that behave like programs) with AngularJS. W3 schools has a very basic guide (which I won't link to as I'm not sure if I'd run afoul the forum's advertising rules).

Once you understand the basics and can make a simple site, you should learn how to feed your sites/apps from a database. In my opinion, Firebase is one of the easiest options (its a cloud based datastore from Google with a free tier and its easy to set up users and authentication in it) or if you want to control your own server then MongoDB is a good choice. If you aren't planning on other people using the sites, you can use local storage with just a few lines of JavaScript (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Window/localStorage or search for it at W3 school).

There are tons of front end libraries like Bootstrap or Material Design Lite that will let you make a site pleasing pretty quickly, or learning to do CSS/SASS from scratch is a solid skill.

Web Developer and Java contractor