Is an RX 580 8gb enough for 1440p at 60fps on high settings for most games?

rapn3rd

I just bought a 24 inch 1440p ips BenQ monitor, it is a 60hz monitor so I'm looking for a gpu that can sustain around 60-80fps on high (not ultra) graphics so that I have a bit of wiggle room above the 60fps cap. I have read that an 8gb 580 would be sufficient for most games, but I'm wondering what your experiences have been?

It varies a lot. It depends on what games you play. like Diablo 3 and PUBG will have a huge difference. So.. what games do you play?

No. Not most. It'll do it for esports games: LoL, Dota 2, CS:GO, Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, stuff like that. However you really want a 1070 if you want 1440p 60fps high settings for AAA games. The 580 will do most games at medium 1440p 60fps, but I wouldn't count on that lasting more than a year or two. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

Where do you find these posts? 1440p high settings isnt doable on many AAA games with an RX 580 without frame drops, especially when those we get recently are poorly optimized.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I guess I should be focusing on a 1070 rather than a 580. Any thoughts on what you would consider a reasonable price for 1070s and how long you think it may take to get to that price?

The best way to look at it is Generation of Games. All early DX11 games made prior to 2015 will run well at above 1080P. Witcher 3, GTA V, Crysis 3, and Fallout 4 should all do well in this case with some tweaking. Modern games made with DX12/Vulkan will stress more of the card, but not necessarily the memory. Doom 2016 however, will run well above 60 at 1440P. 

VR ready cards (such as the RX580) are marked as cards that will run at 1440P at 90fps in VR applications. 

This is however my opinion on the matter, but for the most part, will be more than enough to play at 1440P for most games you might play.

23 minutes ago, rapn3rd said:

You can't/shouldn't buy any GPUs right now, so just save your money there. Or find a used 970 or R9 290/390

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I don't know if this gives you an idea. I have 580 8gb and have vsr enabled and have the games set to 1440p and so Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Ghost recon so far have run fine on high settings, avg in the high 50s I didn't notice any stutter or smoothness issues. COD WW II was playable but 1080p ultra was more enjoyable. As I understand it with VSR on and the game set to 1440p the card is doing the same load it would with a true 1440p display.

42 minutes ago, Zeitec said:

Rainbow Six Siege

IDK if it's just me but on my PC R6 somehow gets unplayable the moment i go to 1440p high

My life

I used to have a 480 but I upgraded to a 1070 because I couldn't bear the lack of optimization for the card. In terms of raw performance it's essentially a 480 but just a bit better. It should run most games fine although not everything will be set to high if you're aiming for the ~70fps range, especially not in games like The Witcher or GTA which are highly optimized for Nvidia and still tank all cards. Basically the RX580 is roughly a 1060, but with way less optimization causing it to perform worse.

16 minutes ago, VicciVicVic said:

but with way less optimization causing it to perform worse.

Do you have an example?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Do you have an example?

As I mentioned, GTA and The Witcher both run much better on Nvidia cards becaue of their optimization. That's the case with most AAA games but those especially. Nvidia also has more features such as Hairworks and GFE, although these are merely extras and can Hairworks can be used with AMD cards though the get tanked to all hell. AMD also has extra features like the Mantle API which practically no one uses (in terms of development and playing of games) and other things like wattman which is a standard feature to overclock AMD cards though things like NZXT, Asus, and Gigabyte programs can still be used. Basically it's a lot like Apple vs Android. Android performs usually on par with Apple, but Apple has a lot more optimization. It's basically that except that Nvidia also wins in terms of raw power.

Nvidia:

Better raw power

Better optimization

More features that are more widely implemented

AMD:

Decent raw power (higher power in the lower end cards compared to Nvidia's low end)

Most AAA games don't optimize very well

Lots of features but very unused.

14 minutes ago, VicciVicVic said:

You are fairly misinformed and are looking entirely at the wrong things, AMD has all the same relevant software as nvidia does, namely ReLive=Shadow play, and their GPU tech like Hairworks, being Tress FX is freely available and open source compared to nvidia as is the rest of their tech.

Overall the RX 580 is a better buy than the 1060, especially factoring in free-sync savings, and Vega 56 was a better buy than the GTX 1070 before the great GPU drought, since it performed faster overall especially with tweaks, it's the GTX 1070ti even exists.

What matters is actual benchmarks not what you perceive to be happening between AMD/Nvidia, AMD has the same kinds of advantages Nvidia has in GTA/Witcher in DOOM, Wolfenstein 2, among others, there's no point to bringing that up, aside from rare cases where a game is so broken on one GPU like Project Cars.

Of course I wouldn't recommend buying any GPU right now if you're building an entire new system, the Ryzen APUs make a lot more sense, since you can just save your money for next gen GPUs.

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, VicciVicVic said:

-snip-

...AMD also has extra features like the Mantle API which...

-snip-

Hairworks can be used with AMD cards though the get tanked to all hell.

Mantle, I haven't heard that name in years. Pretty sure that got turned into Vulcan.

Hairworks, what are there like three games that use that? Still more than the one game that uses TressFX sure but they're both pretty dead.

Nvidia has ShadowPlay which in my opinion is miles ahead of AMDs ReLive and then there's Freesync vs Gsync which both fine but not the game changer that reviewers raved about a few years ago.

The Radeon software and GFE are both kinda awful, but personally I prefer Radeon

In the end just get the one that performs better 

2 hours ago, rapn3rd said:

-Snip-

In the end just get the one that performs better for less 580 and 1060 trade blows pretty well I think it ends up in the 1060 favor and the 1070 is a rock solid card especially with the price of Vega being stupid.  I wouldn't pay more than 300/350$ for a 580/1060 and 500/600$ for a 1070. Its hard to say when prices will go down, since the 1070s peak of over 1000$ in early Feb they've dropped about 200$

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

4 minutes ago, RainColt said:

Nvidia has ShadowPlay which in my opinion is miles ahead of AMDs ReLive

In what ways? ReLive actually caused less of a performance hit overall when it launched vs shadowplay. And it works with Vulkan now I think

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

In what ways? ReLive actually caused less of a performance hit overall when it launched vs shadowplay. And it works with Vulkan now I think

ReLive still tanks my performance (in PUBG atleast) but Shadowplay not so much. I don't use either in any other games. This is on a 290x and a GTX770 maybe ReLive does't play nice with my 290x but shadowplay still plays nice with 770 who knows.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, RainColt said:

ReLive still tanks my performance (in PUBG atleast) but Shadowplay not so much. I don't use either in any other games. This is on a 290x and a GTX770 maybe ReLive does't play nice with my 290x but shadowplay still plays nice with 770 who knows.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are you sure your recording settings just aren't too high in ReLive?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Are you sure your recording settings just aren't too high in ReLive?

Nope, I just turn them on. Also Shadowplay automatically captures game play highlights in PUBG where ReLive does not, thats super convenient.

3 minutes ago, RainColt said:

Nope, I just turn them on. Also Shadowplay automatically captures game play highlights in PUBG where ReLive does not, thats super convenient.

It's always getting updated, but you probably just have recordings settings too high if you're dropping frames, try setting things to the lowest settings to see what it does

ReLive can now do up to 20minutes of an instant replay

ReLive.png.6808168e00343ac61306201a73373033.png

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

It's always getting updated, but you probably just have recordings settings too high if you're dropping frames, try setting things to the lowest settings to see what it does

ReLive can now do up to 20minutes of an instant replay

Losing in game performance clips look fine.

When ReLive automatically captures the clips then it can be as good as ShadowPlay, they're both fine, its not that important to me.