Ultimate PC AND Console Gaming Battlestation

Thanks to Intel for sponsoring this video!
Want to win the awesome Intel Core i7 8700k-powered gaming rig we feature in this video? Then tweet what you love about the new 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 processors with the hashtag #GameWithIntelSweeps. Sweepstakes ends on 3/30! Full terms: http://bit.ly/GameWithIntelSweeps (US & Canada only, excluding Quebec)

Buy Intel Core i7 8700K on Amazon: http://geni.us/RT12

If I were to adjust this to taste, I would've used two monitors and have the switch hooked up to the second monitor. Because ADD would kick in if the PC sounded off a notification.

Then again at that point I could just hit the input switch on the second monitor. But where's the fun in that?

That's a little better than my best.. have two battle stations the gigabyte z270x and the evga ftw k..should be getting the Gigabyte back around next Tuesday and well the ftw k might be a little longer.

Should save the ftw k immaculate board it is. and just run the Gigabyte. And hopefully cpu isn't dead and appears the delid/relid went well. Will find out soon enough. 

Here soon should have a slightly better Pump coming in too, slightly higher flow rate. using a Z97 copper block right now and aluminum rad and about 5% Glycol.  Been working well. 

What about going into details on how to set up the arduino and also soldering the switch into it? I would love to see an explanation on that (either a video or a written explanation with the code included). Would love to do something like this, and possibly even expanding the switch to be controllable via Alexa, Google Home, or other home automation services.

Pretty cool how the GPU used is not mentioned (ofc its nV, considering evga), guess intel did not want that) Nice of them :D

The HDMI switch solution seems super janky.  It's a pretty plausable scenario that somehow the switch and the Arduino get out of sync and the bit 'button press sequence' stops working as needed.  Meanwhile, a LOT of HDMI switches can just use good old RS-232 and you could sent those simple commands with an Arduino and it'd be a lot more reliable.

I have a few honest problems with this video and I would like to give constructive feedback. I want to say though... that this is only an opinion and I recognize that not everyone will agree with me. 

1. The opening statement claims that the challenge was to build "a new DIY desk project, even better then before". I am not sure if you are referring to the old DIY desk that Linus made that was in the shape of a "U", but if that is the case, then I was greatly disappointed. Given that the title of the video uses the word "Ultimate", I felt that this desk fell a bit short of a wow factor given that it was just a slightly modified IKEA desk. The old DIY desk was a showstopper with it's hand built construction, always visible water cooling, and full glass top. This desk, though modern, felt lacking in the "WOW" factor upon first glance to me. 
  2. Building off my previous statement... Where is the "WOW" factor here? Yes, I know this is a sponsored video and I am assuming that Intel had a say in how the information was presented, but that does not dodge that fact that the setup was not very "LTT over the top". Yes, Linus did say that when they were building the desk on IKEA's website they wanted to go for a clean modern look with the white but the sliding sections had exposed wood and felt unfinished to me. 
  3. The Arduino thing was awesome and very LTT... It felt like they bumped things up to 11 with that thing and holy crap was it awesome to see all the hard work went into making it and programming it.... AND THEN THEY SHOWED NONE OF ITS FUNCTIONALITY! Sorry for caps lock. I would have LOVED to see them show off some glam footage of this thing in action. Please Linus! It looks like a lot of work went into making this thing and I would love to know more. 
  4. The Ultrawide monitor felt VERY misplaced in this video considering that were were attempting to marry Console and PC gaming into one single desk. I don't know of a single console game that runs at Ultrawide resolution and you will have black bars every time you want to play a console game... very weird choice imo. I don't know if Intel forced that choice, but for something that I would call the "Ultimate PC AND Console Gaming Battlestation" I would have gone with a no compromises setup that included a way to have both PC and Console running at the same time... this IS the ultimate setup after all, right? 
  5. My final problem is a bit nit-picky, but why was the build set to highlight the 8700K and then no benchmarks provided or system specs included? This might have been a limitation of the Intel sponsorship, but I feel like this was a missed opportunity because I am not sure if Intel was trying to sell me an IKEA desk, their processor, or an Origin PC... Honestly, i'm just confused at WHAT Intel was trying to say here. 

Again, These are all opinions and I know LTT folks put a LOT of time and effort into these projects. I don't want to take away from the hard work that folks put in to create things like this. I just wanted to share some opinionated feedback... I get that it is entirely possible that Linus had z-e-r-o input as far that how the information was presented given that this is a sponsored video... But I would love to see a follow up video where you dive into the functionality of this desk and show off some sweet sweet 4K glam footage with music in the background. 

As always... thanks for the videos Linus! you all are awesome! 

26 minutes ago, aflyinghotpocket said:

I have a few honest problems with this video and I would like to give constructive feedback. I want to say though... that this is only an opinion and I recognize that not everyone will agree with me. 

1. The opening statement claims that the challenge was to build "a new DIY desk project, even better then before". I am not sure if you are referring to the old DIY desk that Linus made that was in the shape of a "U", but if that is the case, then I was greatly disappointed. Given that the title of the video uses the word "Ultimate", I felt that this desk fell a bit short of a wow factor given that it was just a slightly modified IKEA desk. The old DIY desk was a showstopper with it's hand built construction, always visible water cooling, and full glass top. This desk, though modern, felt lacking in the "WOW" factor upon first glance to me. 
  2. Building off my previous statement... Where is the "WOW" factor here? Yes, I know this is a sponsored video and I am assuming that Intel had a say in how the information was presented, but that does not dodge that fact that the setup was not very "LTT over the top". Yes, Linus did say that when they were building the desk on IKEA's website they wanted to go for a clean modern look with the white but the sliding sections had exposed wood and felt unfinished to me. 
  3. The Arduino thing was awesome and very LTT... It felt like they bumped things up to 11 with that thing and holy crap was it awesome to see all the hard work went into making it and programming it.... AND THEN THEY SHOWED NONE OF ITS FUNCTIONALITY! Sorry for caps lock. I would have LOVED to see them show off some glam footage of this thing in action. Please Linus! It looks like a lot of work went into making this thing and I would love to know more. 
  4. The Ultrawide monitor felt VERY misplaced in this video considering that were were attempting to marry Console and PC gaming into one single desk. I don't know of a single console game that runs at Ultrawide resolution and you will have black bars every time you want to play a console game... very weird choice imo. I don't know if Intel forced that choice, but for something that I would call the "Ultimate PC AND Console Gaming Battlestation" I would have gone with a no compromises setup that included a way to have both PC and Console running at the same time... this IS the ultimate setup after all, right? 
  5. My final problem is a bit nit-picky, but why was the build set to highlight the 8700K and then no benchmarks provided or system specs included? This might have been a limitation of the Intel sponsorship, but I feel like this was a missed opportunity because I am not sure if Intel was trying to sell me an IKEA desk, their processor, or an Origin PC... Honestly, i'm just confused at WHAT Intel was trying to say here. 

Again, These are all opinions and I know LTT folks put a LOT of time and effort into these projects. I don't want to take away from the hard work that folks put in to create things like this. I just wanted to share some opinionated feedback... I get that it is entirely possible that Linus had z-e-r-o input as far that how the information was presented given that this is a sponsored video... But I would love to see a follow up video where you dive into the functionality of this desk and show off some sweet sweet 4K glam footage with music in the background. 

As always... thanks for the videos Linus! you all are awesome! 

I thought it was of the Notion just use what you can get desk wise. My desk is old and the kinda cooler ones with larger drawers etc, Put a bunch of junk in etc...someone tried painting it but it peeled looked like, it needs stained and repainted or something. 

And I agree the 8700k is the battle station to have now, should get it with one of the EVGA boards or the Maximus etc. and hopefully will have no problems with it...I still think you'll want to delid it though after playing with it for awhile and seeing how hot it runs.

1 hour ago, JR88 said:

I thought it was of the Notion just use what you can get desk wise. My desk is old and the kinda cooler ones with larger drawers etc, Put a bunch of junk in etc...someone tried painting it but it peeled looked like, it needs stained and repainted or something. 

I understand where you are coming from... though, I also feel like the word "ultimate" is what bugs me in the whole description. Maybe my inner 12 year old self is showing, but I imagine when I hear the phrase "ultimate" to be the pinnacle of its class when you put that next to it. I was expecting a self leveling desk, with multiple monitors for MAXIMUM gaming input, a fridge to house all your gaming food and drinks, and even a toilet in the seat for the TRUE hardcore gamer!

My silly nature aside, I just felt that the system was anything but Ultimate... and more.... sensible in the end, which begs the question, "Can sensible be ultimate?". 

4 hours ago, aflyinghotpocket said:

I understand where you are coming from... though, I also feel like the word "ultimate" is what bugs me in the whole description. Maybe my inner 12 year old self is showing, but I imagine when I hear the phrase "ultimate" to be the pinnacle of its class when you put that next to it. I was expecting a self leveling desk, with multiple monitors for MAXIMUM gaming input, a fridge to house all your gaming food and drinks, and even a toilet in the seat for the TRUE hardcore gamer!

My silly nature aside, I just felt that the system was anything but Ultimate... and more.... sensible in the end, which begs the question, "Can sensible be ultimate?". 

I'll be honest, I'm with you on this...ultimate this aint.

Whilst I appreciate that there was a lot of effort into over engineering the arduino part...which in the end all it does is switch inputs? It was basically them buying a desk...and slightly modifying the draw fronts so you can see the consoles and PC.

And how are you gonna tell us that the "ULTIMATE" gaming battlestation...has one screen. Smh.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Does anyone know the interior dimensions of the shelf I want to replicate this project. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at emulating this project to a limited degree, would anyone have a suggestion for an HDMI switch, preferably one that can do something like 4in/2 out, and up to 4k.