AMD announces open source ray tracing at GDC *Interview update*

Notional
5 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

We are talking about thousands of dollars per product for few products, not a few bucks here and there for numerous products.

Look at cars halo pieces, Bugatti is perfect example of marketing and getting no profit from it.  Yeah they don't make a profit on this car because its a halo product.  Do you know the VW group doesn't want to sell or even make this car, the only person that is forcing VW to do it is the current CEO, once he is gone we will most likely not see a Bugatti ever again.  As I stated it doesn't make financial sense, and when a company that looks at bottom lines look at things like this.  Its better not to make a product that doesn't make the money its supposed to make.

Even stocking fees, were are talking about chips here, we can have a 1000 planters of these chips and they wouldn't take up a 10x10 room.  That is a 100k chips man.

Because space is free? You pay taxes, you need space. Then you need to employ someone to deal with the inventory and everything. You need at least someone for security and so on. That account for part of it. The second aspect is that you have to take into account the change of value based on currency fluctuation. You have an automatic depreciation due to inflation.

Just now, hobobobo said:

Why would you send it to reviewers if you know that they will buy it for themselves anyways, since clicks is their business? I repeat, nV themselves dont know what Titans are for, or so they say. If its not gaming and its not datacenter and its nor professional use, what is it? Its a showpiece and they just dont want to admit it, which is understandable.

Bugatti example is shit, its not like veyron is a base for any other car they make or shares alot of components. Imo, they should have not made it into a production model in the first place, keep it sesto elemento style. And no, VW wont kill Bugatti, theyll kill veyron and sell chiron which was made from the ground up to be a product, not an engeneering poc.

Your whole yields/sell at a loss arguments hangs on the premis that nV are idiots who either sell a profitable V instead of launching quadro line-up with higher margins, since yields are good enough, or they sell at a loss for god knows what reason instead of launching quadro lineup to sell at a profit/less of a loss. its ridiculous

Chiron is not a mass produced product, I don't think any of its parts are used else were in any of VW's other companies. 

Just now, laminutederire said:

Because space is free? You pay taxes, you need space. Then you need to employ someone to deal with the inventory and everything. You need at least someone for security and so on. That account for part of it. The second aspect is that you have to take into account the change of value based on currency fluctuation. You have an automatic depreciation due to inflation.

Talking about a 10x10 room here even a 20 x 20 room, not talking about warehouses or stores full of products.

9 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

Chiron is not a mass produced product, I don't think any of its parts are used else were in any of VW's other companies. 

Chiron reuses alot of interior parts from other premium VW cars, the engine is carryover from veyron, the drive system is outsourced. Ofc its not mass produced, its made on a small scale to order, with a line for the car being a couple of years long. The point is - veyron lost em around 6mil on a car and should have been a limited product, like alot of lambos, not an ongoing venture. Chiron, on the other hand, according to VW themselves, is profitable and is alot more sound ongoing product

edit: and yet they taped out chiron as limited edition with 500 cars, sold em like hotcakes and made chiron sport an ongoing product. why veyron was not limted to 500 cars - only bugatti execs and god know

Why is my thread about AMD ray tracing, being spammed with nonsense about NVidia's yield rates on Volta? The only credible information we have on that, is from Jensen himself, and that is obsolete.

As for AMD ray tracing, AMD has confirmed we will see games with it implemented this year. No announcement on what games or when, but with both NVidia TRX and AMD's RadeOn Ray tracing to be implemented this year, I think it's safe to say there is a huge push for this.

I'm not impressed with what I've seen yet, and especially not about TRX, that requires dedicated hardware.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

Talk about a small room worth easily more than 1 million dollars. Sure it can just be a closet.

Anyway you cherry pick too much what we tell you it just is a bit tiring. Go take accounting classes and you'll understand why storing things makes them lose value.

37 minutes ago, Notional said:

Why is my thread about AMD ray tracing, being spammed with nonsense about NVidia's yield rates on Volta? The only credible information we have on that, is from Jensen himself, and that is obsolete.

As for AMD ray tracing, AMD has confirmed we will see games with it implemented this year. No announcement on what games or when, but with both NVidia TRX and AMD's RadeOn Ray tracing to be implemented this year, I think it's safe to say there is a huge push for this.

I'm not impressed with what I've seen yet, and especially not about TRX, that requires dedicated hardware.

Doom or one of the id tech engine 6 games is going to have it.

That is the only Vulkan game that has the horse power and proper engine dev's to get it working well enough.  Also its only going to be on high end systems, Vega 56, Vega 64. 

It will be soon, first half of this year.  Radeon Ray's uses Open CL 1.2, which is not part of the ID tech 6's Vulkan implementation yet.

1 minute ago, Razor01 said:

Doom is going to have it.

That is the only Vulkan game that has the horse power and proper engine dev's to get it working well enough.  Also its only going to be on high end systems, Vega 56, Vega 64. 

It will be soon, first half of this year.  Radeon Ray's uses Open CL 1.2, which is not part of the Doom's Vulkan implementation yet.

I wonder if they'd have to update to Vulkan 1.1 first?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

5 hours ago, Razor01 said:

Just like Leadeater had a problem when I stated x800 series was only 5% faster than the 6800 series, he went and did the figures to figure out they were the actually similar in performance with all games at the time considered.

Actually my statement was more correct, it was only on the highest resolutions on the highest details settings with AA and AF turned up did the two cards level out. All other configurations the x800 was much faster. There's not much need to derail the conversation again about this but please don't go misrepresenting situations, I very clearly told you at the time I only did the numbers on those configuration settings and the performance lead was much higher (well above 5%) with AA off.

35 minutes ago, leadeater said:

please don't go misrepresenting situations

You may be asking too much. It's like the 4th or 5th thread since a week or two where he is blatantly been misrepresenting situations without listening to any argument people can throw at him and cherry pick results and other people's argument to try and depict his way of thinking. He may be right sometimes but he is quite the stubborn man like some we could have seen in the past.

At this point he must be trying to troll some of us.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Actually my statement was more correct, it was only on the highest resolutions on the highest details settings with AA and AF turned up did the two cards level out. All other configurations the x800 was much faster. There's not much need to derail the conversation again about this but please don't go misrepresenting situations, I very clearly told you at the time I only did the numbers on those configuration settings and the performance lead was much higher (well above 5%) with AA off.

I wan't misrepresenting you, I pulled up 2 or 3 reviews which showed other games, pretty much all OGL games with AA as well, where 6800 did much better than x8xx line.  It was night and day, and it really depended on the API and games.  I still gave the lead to x8xx line but in all fairness they were pretty much equal when all was said and done.  I remember that time, because I was making a game on Cry Engine 1 at the time.  Cry Engine 1 did come with Ogl and Dx paths and we actually were considering changing paths based on IHV.  Also was on stage at GDC and E3 2005 showing off our demo, which unfortunately, Epic came out pretty big with Unreal Engine 3 stuff, kinda stole our spot light, well they took everyone's spot light lol.  Although tech wise UE3 was nothing compared to Cry Engine, their artwork was unbelievable, and even today, that artwork still holds up.

24 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

You may be asking too much. It's like the 4th or 5th thread since a week or two where he is blatantly been misrepresenting situations without listening to any argument people can throw at him and cherry pick results and other people's argument to try and depict his way of thinking. He may be right sometimes but he is quite the stubborn man like some we could have seen in the past.

At this point he must be trying to troll some of us.

Maybe, maybe not. I like to at least have a conversation with someone mainly because I just find tech interesting to talk about. Rather disappointing to come back to 3 pages of arguing over a side point that never mattered in the first place that wasn't even about the company the topic is about, let alone the actual topic.