How can I convince my dad to let me play fps games?

Smiles4Miles

He said he didn't want me playing them because I would be on to much, and it's violent, and bloody. I said well, in some games you can turn off the blood, and I promise I won't be on more than I already am or you can ban me for one month. Didn't work. But my mom is cool with it but she won't let me unless my dad let's me.

20 minutes ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

how about strike a deal, you do chores or get good results, and you get to play for x amount of hours

I already do really good in school, and help him out a lot around the house

Fathers are very hard to persuadr, haha.

Well, ultimately, its his decision. He and your mother are pretty much your protectors until youre 18, and you really shouldnt fight aggressively or disobey his decision.

lmoa no pewpew4u 

1. can't really help out since don't know what else you could try....

2. Smiles4Miles damn that made me smile just reading it :) 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

I think the best way is to find a time when he is cool and calm and try to explain how you might feel left out at school or whatever and create sympathy. If that doesn't work try to show him it is not violent and aggressive as he thinks. Get him to play just one game with you. It is possible he suddenly gets addicted to it or changes his mind. Highly unlikely but still something is better than nothing. Also ask whether you can play just like on weekends or something.

Oh and since your mom is cool with it. Try to persuade her to persuade your dad to just try it for once.

I played Call Of Duty at a demo and well I really liked the strategy and role playing involved, but then I am a kid.

Edited by Tarun10

I am going to assume that if your parents are dictating what you are playing in terms of games then you must be quite young. Honestly, I would consider yourself lucky to have parents who care enough to be involved in the content you are viewing. Many parents take a backseat to this and I have seen adults purchase Grand Theft Auto for a child under the age of ten. I'm sorry to say this, but you clearly have parents who care and want to make sure you are not over exposed to inappropriate content. The ESRB created the rating system for a reason and If you are under the age of the recommended rating, then it's hard for me to side against your parents trying to be parents. 

Having said that, If you are determined to convince your father that you should be able to play a certain game then be diplomatic and logical about things and ask him to please find time to sit with you and play the game with you. This way a few things can happen. 1) your father can see the content first hand and decide if it is ok for you to view it. 2) your father can explain things to you in context as they come up in the game so that YOU understand what you are seeing and experiencing. 3) you are spending quality time with your father, which helps build a healthy relationship. 

After all that, if your Father still says no then you need to respect your parents decisions until you are old enough to purchase games and make your own decisions. I know it may suck, but be thankful that you have caring parents... I have seen some who are not so lucky. 

7 hours ago, Alex Colson said:

2. Smiles4Miles damn that made me smile just reading it

Lol thanks

When I was younger I wasnt allowed to play for more than 1 hour a day.

That time limit back when Settlers 2 came out and without a speed setting :(

Al;so when my exam periods were on, they had the nerve to 'confiscate' my power plugs just for the fun of it. I swear I got lower grades as a result of the stress - they also had zero valid reason to other than being a pair of giant pricks as I had never had a bad test result in my life.

Linus is my fetish.

5 hours ago, aflyinghotpocket said:

I am going to assume that if your parents are dictating what you are playing in terms of games then you must be quite young. Honestly, I would consider yourself lucky to have parents who care enough to be involved in the content you are viewing. Many parents take a backseat to this and I have seen adults purchase Grand Theft Auto for a child under the age of ten. I'm sorry to say this, but you clearly have parents who care and want to make sure you are not over exposed to inappropriate content. The ESRB created the rating system for a reason and If you are under the age of the recommended rating, then it's hard for me to side against your parents trying to be parents. 

Having said that, If you are determined to convince your father that you should be able to play a certain game then be diplomatic and logical about things and ask him to please find time to sit with you and play the game with you. This way a few things can happen. 1) your father can see the content first hand and decide if it is ok for you to view it. 2) your father can explain things to you in context as they come up in the game so that YOU understand what you are seeing and experiencing. 3) you are spending quality time with your father, which helps build a healthy relationship. 

After all that, if your Father still says no then you need to respect your parents decisions until you are old enough to purchase games and make your own decisions. I know it may suck, but be thankful that you have caring parents... I have seen some who are not so lucky. 

Well, the game I want to play is Phantom Forces on ROBLOX. So should I say "Hey Dad, can I at least show you the game? Then you can fully decide if I should be playing this."

5 hours ago, billstelling said:

Take an interest in the military, get him to think you want to be a soldier.. All else fails, find some friends..

What do you mean by that? Like sneak playing them at their house?

Also maybe show him the research that shows something like 80-90% of criminals / murderers didnt even play video games.

Some parents have zero issue with violent movies but are tricked by all the crap in the media about violent games creating criminals.

Most FPS games arent even 1% as violent / disturbing as Witcher 3.

Linus is my fetish.

14 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Also maybe show him the research that shows something like 80-90% of criminals / murderers didnt even play video games.

Some parents have zero issue with violent movies but are tricked by all the crap in the media about violent games creating criminals.

Most FPS games arent even 1% as violent / disturbing as Witcher 3.

He has shown me an R rated movie. But then he is stubborn on NO. But ok I will tell him that.

I started by playing at friend's houses or just telling them all my friends could and agreeing to do more chores and get outside more. That usually works, but its always the parents decision.

Any other questions or comments just @Hyp3rion and I'll try to reply.

Tot gauw

7 minutes ago, OG Laggins said:

I started by playing at friend's houses or just telling them all my friends could and agreeing to do more chores and get outside more. That usually works, but its always the parents decision.

K. I will try

for me its grade to get privileges so promise to keep your GPA or Numeric average at a certain point

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

4 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

for me its grade to get privileges so promise to keep your GPA or Numeric average at a certain point

I already do.

Do you watch any YouTubers or Twitch Streamers??? It is mostly the damn press and media that hypes up everything. Trust me I can only run FIFA 18 on my laptop at 30 FPS and even then with all that input lag every time i play it's just so relaxing. Same applies for RPGs or FPS games.I mean kids are already pretending to shoot each other or play some war game with or without NERF guns so why not let them play it on the PC/console???

If you already get good grades and help around the house it is really tough to bargain for anything, so you are gonna have to find something that you lack or can improve. It might seems tough at first but just think about it over a day or two and you will find something.

Also when is your birthday?? You can ask for that as a present if you want??

8 hours ago, Smiles4Miles said:

Well, the game I want to play is Phantom Forces on ROBLOX. So should I say "Hey Dad, can I at least show you the game? Then you can fully decide if I should be playing this."

Try that but don't ask.. Say it like a statement.. "Hey Dad. Please check out the game with me now before you decide if I should be playing this."

If he works in the science field, ask him to consider it an experiment and decide the outcome only after the experiment has been conducted. It might just work.

If it doesn't then well I guess you will just have to play something else.

14 hours ago, Mooshi said:

My dad is dead. Stop complaining you can't play bloody pew pew and enjoy life dude.

Mine may or may not be dead, not really sure. Hasn't really been part of my life since I was 3.
Last saw him when I was like 6...

Last heard from him when I was like 12 or 13, which was the last time we received any child support.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Is ROBLOX actually violent? I’ve played like 5 min of some prison thing and I thought paintball is more violent 

That's an F in the profile pic

On 22.3.2018 at 8:39 AM, Smiles4Miles said:

I already do really good in school, and help him out a lot around the house

Have you tried discussing this with him, example "I am doing very well in school and I'm helping you out alot with the house and stuff, but I really want to have some time to play games and have fun with that".

Or you could turn to the dark side and just do it.

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB