OS change after MBO died (W7 vs W8.1 vs W10)

Here is the story, 

My 8 year old mbo died, since I don't have funds to upgrade yet, I got a new used s.775 p35 mbo. 

W10 tried to restore itself but it failed so a clean install is due.

I hate W10 more then Jabba hates Solo since it constantly makes my life difficult at work and on my laptop.

I am considering W8.1 or W7, I have an SSD, my main objective is to have a rock solid OS for my main rig, I need dependability not "innovation"

Windows 8.1 is interesting since it has a later EOL and handles SSDs better, W7 is rock solid on my hardware. I know Slick is using an "roided out W8.1" and was wondering how and why.

Happy to hear your input! 

You can use W7 for now and install W8.1 on a random HDD, tweak it until it's exactly as you want it and copy W8.1 to the SSD.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I did recently install 8.1 to go on an external ssd to try it out and it is awesome!

Boots very quickly (also mostly tested on a lga775 mobo, xeon e5440, usb 2), hasn't crashed once, only nuisances are explorer and the start menu. Both can be modified to look more traditional though. Everything i needed to do in the control panel was still there. It does lack the games though, or at least they weren't available in the add windows features thingy.

8.1 does seem like a good os. It also found all of the drivers automatically.

I am still using win7 on my other computers because it works. I will probably upgrade to 8.1 after the support ends and then hopefully linux.