Should I get the I5 8400 or a R5 1600??

This is my first build and Im really confused.

The R5 1600 has 6 more threads, but I don't know if I really need them.

This PC is mainly for gaming and some PS,AI and CAD.

The I5 8400 is faster and cheaper, but the R5 has more threads, and I wont have to find an LGA 1151 board.

What are your thoughts/????

19 minutes ago, ArunCanSeeYou said:

This is my first build and Im really confused.

The R5 1600 has 6 more threads, but I don't know if I really need them.

This PC is mainly for gaming and some PS,AI and CAD.

The I5 8400 is faster and cheaper, but the R5 has more threads, and I wont have to find an LGA 1151 board.

What are your thoughts/????

It just depends. If you want Intel and gaming particularly, go with intel. If you want number crunching and faster speeds overall. Ryzen is your bet. I would go with ryzen 

Photoshop and CAD should perform better with tha 8400 so I'd get that instead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

55 minutes ago, ArunCanSeeYou said:

Try to wait for Ryzen 2 in April

Would go for Ryzen in general just to have the threads if you need them, the bit better gaming performance on the i5 8400 isn't worth it IMO.

But where are you buying a GPU? Because you're likely better off with an R5 2400G, saving the rest of your money for when GPU prices are back to normal.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

If you can...  I would wait just a tiny bit longer.  Asus, MSI, ASRock etc...  Have all had their H370, H310, and B360 motherboards leaked recently, so I imagine the low cost Intel boards are just right around the corner.  On top of that, Wal~Mart just listed the soon to be released i5-8500 and Celeron G4920 with a release date of 3/21.  If that date is correct, I highly suspect the new motherboards will also be out at or around that time.  

It might give you a little more to think about once the prices on the new motherboards are released.

I wouldn't exactly call a locked chip with less cores the "faster" chip. CAD work alone makes the 8400 a no go when 6 cores 12 threads is an option. Even for gaming, 1440p and above yeild less difference in CPU and more GPU.

Wait for the Ryzen refresh that's coming up soon and clock that to around 4Ghz for a much better experience.

Personally wouldn't bother with Intel anymore between the atrocious TIM below the IHS and locked chips costing about the same as unlocked chips from AMD. This is someone who was 100% all Intel. The FX days of lame are over and Intel can't bank on that anymore.

I recently post a similar thread, but for an i5 7500 or ryzen 5 1600, which helps me a lot on deciding. Yesterday i bought the ryzen 5 1600 with a cheap gigabyte ab350m gaming 3, and i'm happy to report that it exceeds with my expectations :)

After the installations of OS and drivers, i immediately run AC origins (legit copy) without OC on CPU and GPU. with the MSI afterburner OSD, CPU usage on very high settings didn't even reach 90% during benchmark and gameplay on Siwa and Alexandria.

My gameplay on The Division with medium settings really sets apart from my previous CPU (i3 6100) and i didn't noticed any frame stutters during PVP in Dark Zone. Medium settings is my sweet spot because that game doesn't really need to be played on above high settings since it heavily rely on high fps.

With GTX 1060 6gb aurous, i think i made the best decision to switch from my i3 6100. My new ryzen should serve me well for 3 to 5 years from now :)

This is my own opinion, but getting a 6C/12T will be a great investment if you just do gaming, since most of games will now use more cores in future (i think). for productivity i think you will benefit more with ryzen because of the high thread count.

Ryzen 5 1600 | Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | Team Elite TForce Delta RGB 2x8 16GB 3200mhz | Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB AORUS | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | 2 1TB WD Blue | Wester Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB | SeaSonic M12II 520W 80+ Bronze | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Led Turbo | ASUS VG248QE | Rakk Kimat XT | Logitech G502 HERO | Massdrop x AKG M220 Pro | V8 Soundcard | BM800 Condenser Mic | Logitech C310

2 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

Photoshop and CAD should perform better with tha 8400 so I'd get that instead.

It really depends on your whole hardware config.