Raspberry pi 3 B+ launches!

Ginger_

770A5614-2.jpg

Tinkerers, hobbyists and everyone else rejoice! The model 3 B+ has officially launched and might be in stock for you to finally grab 6 months from now. 

So what's new? Only the biggest issue with the 3 b non plus. Better network connectivity. 

So, without further ado, Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ is now on sale for $35 (the same price as the existing Raspberry Pi 3 Model B), featuring:

• A 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
  • Dual-band 802.11ac wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2
  • Faster Ethernet (Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0)
  • Power-over-Ethernet support (with separate PoE HAT)
  • Improved PXE network and USB mass-storage booting
  • Improved thermal management

Alongside a 200MHz increase in peak CPU clock frequency, we have roughly three times the wired and wireless network throughput, and the ability to sustain high performance for much longer periods.

That clock speed boost will be nice too, but I'm most excited for the gigabit ethernet.

Also added is a new 4 pin header for PoE

We use a magjack that supports Power over Ethernet (PoE), and bring the relevant signals to a new 4-pin header. We will shortly launch a PoE HAT which can generate the 5V necessary to power the Raspberry Pi from the 48V PoE supply.

770A4945.jpg

The rest of the article outlines the rest of the changes, but there's the highlights. Of course it's already sold out, but I'm looking forward to when I can find it in stock. 

Here's the original post

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-model-bplus-sale-now-35/

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

If it's ethernet is still going over USB 2.0, that still limits it quite a bit, right? I was hoping for USB 3.0 :(

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

what do people mainly use them for? i've always considered getting one, but have no idea what i would even do with it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Sierra Fox said:

what do people mainly use them for? i've always considered getting one, but have no idea what i would even do with it.

Kodi, emulating retro games, pi-hole, little network server, DHCP server, DNS server, embedded development (creating an RC car for example), download server, desktop replacement for very light use.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

I use mine as an RDP client mounted to the back of a monitor. Works quite well. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

Play around with them. You can do a lot of stuff. :) if you go onto their website there's a ton of tutorials. :D 

I use mine a VPN backup. :) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

cheap home server

iot tasks (using gpio) 

retro gaming 

small pc for kids, handles basic web browsing and content surfing

SPI flashing (using clips or solder points)

Pi hole (but that runs on everything now)

idk

saw´this in my news feed today too but have to say its very under whelming for me. all i want is a pi with hardware accelleration under windows iot.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

cheap home server

well i do have some spare HDDs sitting around that i can't fit in my case (MITX cases don't have a lot of hard-drive room) would be an excuse to make a storage server i guess

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Mindstorms without LEGO...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4UEGH0Q7CfmCVbkKhrpN

explain? mindstorm....without Lego?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Sierra Fox said:

well i do have some spare HDDs sitting around that i can't fit in my case (MITX cases don't have a lot of hard-drive room) would be an excuse to make a storage server i guess

That's super simple with the open media vault os. The biggest issue I had with the 3b non plus was the 100 ethernet limit

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

1 minute ago, Sierra Fox said:

You'll need a powerful PSU and a lot of powered HDD cases. 

also the ethernet is still on the usb2 controller so have fun when that line bottlenecks. It's not a hugely good meme

idk

Pretty nice upgrade. What does "PoE HAT" mean though? Do you need to buy a separate board and connect to it in order to get PoE working?

4 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

If it's ethernet is still going over USB 2.0, that still limits it quite a bit, right? I was hoping for USB 3.0 :(

Yep, seems like it won't be full 1Gbps throughput. My guess is that's why they only claim 3 times the wired transfer speeds rather than the full 10 times you would get from 100Mbps to 1Gbps.

5 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

Here is what I use mine for:

1) Web server - It just hosts a simple website for me.

2) DDNS updates - I don't have a static IP, so I need a device to periodically update the IP that my domain points to. My Pi does that.

3) Pi-hole - It's a DNS server which has a list of ad domains and redirects those queries to itself. Basically, it's DNS based ad blocking. Works pretty well, although it is not really a substitute for a browser based adblocker (since pi-hole only blocks entire domains, not specific ads).

4) Syncplay server - Really neat program that allows you to play videos with your friends through MPC-HC, VLC or some other video player, and everything is kept in sync. If one of you pause, it gets paused for everyone, for example.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Pretty nice upgrade. What does "PoE HAT" mean though? Do you need to buy a separate board and connect to it in order to get PoE working?

I'm guessing it's a board that uses the GPIO pins for PoE tasks. It'd be referred to as a "hat" because it sits atop the Pi. 

33 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I'm guessing it's a board that uses the GPIO pins for PoE tasks. It'd be referred to as a "hat" because it sits atop the Pi. 

Almost correct, there are 4 extra pins that take care of it :P

And it does indeed require an extra piece because PoE is usually 48V or something and the Pi is only 5V, connecting PoE straight to the Pi isn't a good idea...

edit: this should be the extra piece you need for PoE but i don't think it's a final design

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

29 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

wireless AC? It's time to build a small RPi based home server. :^) 

And then you realize it doesn't have sata ports :D 

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

And then you realize it doesn't have sata ports :D 

for music and files usb2 is enough

idk

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Almost correct, there are 4 extra pins that take care of it :P

And it does indeed require an extra piece because PoE is usually 48V or something and the Pi is only 5V, connecting PoE straight to the Pi isn't a good idea...

I guess due to the extra cost for components to convert the voltage and the niche market for this (only some people would be using this) they moved it to a HAT. However this raises the question if a generic PoW HAT could just use the power pads on the other Pis instead.

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

for music and files usb2 is enough

won't get much value out of the ac connection though

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

One word: LattePanda.

For how many times the cost?

2 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

That thing costs as much as 3 pi's and doesn't have as much development behind it as the Pi, don't forget that's the most important thing about it.

2 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

One word: 89USD

(and that's without a windows licence!)

idk

Just now, gabrielcarvfer said:

3~4x, but the specs are worth it.

Not really for simple projects.