Transfering Windows Between PCs

ReLightz
Go to solution Solved by iBabySlapper,

You would have to buy a new key, I'd recommend buying a W10 Pro key from eBay for <£5

Hey guys, this is probably a really stupid question but I need some help.

So recently the drive for my old computer stopped working, and because the computer is pretty old anyway I decided to do a complete PC upgrade. On that drive, I had Windows 10 installed. My question is do I need to purchase a Windows 10 activation key for my next build? Can I just log in with my Microsoft account and be good to go?

no u

You would have to buy a new key, I'd recommend buying a W10 Pro key from eBay for <£5

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

9 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

no u

7 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

Buying W10 keys off the grey market is sketchy at best, and daylight robbery at worst. If you're going to do that, be prepared for the chance of not getting your code, or having it not work.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

no need to buy a windows 10 key.

just move the hdd to the new pc.

if not work, repair installation.

you can move windows 10 to any pc you want as many times you like.

as long as only 1 key active.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

It’s one key per computer, the identification factor is the motherboard. You can replace any part EXCEPT the motherboard and still have windows active. You need to buy a new key if you put it in a new computer. Also, NEVER move windows from one computer to another. The installer has specific drivers that are relevant to certain boards, those drivers are crucial to operation of the system. Install it fresh on the new computer.

14 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

This might not be the case with OEM keys, as far as i know they are locket to the Motherboard. This stops people from salvaging Win 10 from old laptops and such.

Dont quote me on this thoug, im not much of an expert

Edit: one of my claims were false based on @Docretier response. therefore i removed it

Edited by GoldenLag
Error

28 minutes ago, JaegerB said:

Buying W10 keys off the grey market is sketchy at best, and daylight robbery at worst. If you're going to do that, be prepared for the chance of not getting your code, or having it not work.

I've bought 10+ keys off eBay and they've all worked, I don't see a problem.

If they don't work you can easily get your £2 back from paypal.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

Just now, ibabyslapper said:

I've bought 10+ keys off eBay and they've all worked, I don't see a problem.

If they don't work you can easily get your £2 back from paypal.

I’m going to assumed our are the luckiest man on earth, win10 pro keys cost a lot more. It seems hard to believe you could buy them for so cheap an it not be a scam.

4 minutes ago, Docretier said:

I’m going to assumed our are the luckiest man on earth, win10 pro keys cost a lot more. It seems hard to believe you could buy them for so cheap an it not be a scam.

I'm not certain where they source them from, but I imagine they're from scrapped OEM PCs.

All I know for certain is that they work, and on the off chance they don't I can get my money back.

5 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

I'm not certain where they source them from, but I imagine they're from scrapped OEM PCs.

All I know for certain is that they work, and on the off chance they don't I can get my money back.

Have you ever had to get a refund after purchasing one? Do you only buy from one person in particular or just anyone who is selling a key?

5 minutes ago, Docretier said:

Have you ever had to get a refund after purchasing one? Do you only buy from one person in particular or just anyone who is selling a key?

I've never had to get a refund, but eBay and PayPal buyer protection is very skewed in favor of the buyer, so I don't doubt I can get a refund.

I usually go for sellers that have a lot of feedback, like this listing