Which phone to get on a contract? Pixel 2 XL or S9+?

PhilGoodInc

So my contract for my s7 is ending soon, I am in the market for a new phone. I have been planning to get the S9+, but I have come across an offer which is too good to pass up.

I can get the Pixel 2 XL 64GB  to own for $59 AUD a month for 24 Months (unlimited calls and texts with 15GB data) compared to the s9+ for $109 on the same plan, or I could go for a lease plan for $99.

If I am going to spend that kind of money, I could go for the s9+ on a better plan with 70GB data and a way better international roaming offer for $129 on lease and $139 to own it.

I do get a Samsung Convertible wireless charger and an 8.0" Galaxy Tab A (cellular version) if I pre-order the s9+ which is a fairly substantial extra. but still not sure if worth the extra.

As you can see, there is a pretty huge price difference and have since just become confused as to what to go for.

I honestly don't understand why anybody would even want a Pixel 2 in the first place?  I mean, that's obviously just my opinion, but it just seems like such a lackluster phone in almost every way.  Sure the camera software is really good, but the hardware itself is nothing special.  Plus the thing is straight up fugly (looks so dated compared to something like the S9 or the iPhone X), it has no wireless charging, no headphone jack, and stock Android is massively overrated.  If I wanted to stick to a vanilla version of an OS I'd just get an iPhone and call it a day.  But as I said, that's just my opinion...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

18 minutes ago, PhilGoodInc said:

So my contract for my s7 is ending soon, I am in the market for a new phone. I have been planning to get the S9+, but I have come across an offer which is too good to pass up.

I can get the Pixel 2 XL 64GB  to own for $59 AUD a month for 24 Months (unlimited calls and texts with 15GB data) compared to the s9+ for $109 on the same plan, or I could go for a lease plan for $99.

If I am going to spend that kind of money, I could go for the s9+ on a better plan with 70GB data and a way better international roaming offer for $129 on lease and $139 to own it.

I do get a Samsung Convertible wireless charger and an 8.0" Galaxy Tab A (cellular version) if I pre-order the s9+ which is a fairly substantial extra. but still not sure if worth the extra.

As you can see, there is a pretty huge price difference and have since just become confused as to what to go for.

The TAB A will just be a burden and especially once you feel the snappiness of the S9+ the Tab A will feel dreadfully slow and screen will look awful.

I'd rather recommend getting the Pixel 2 XL for 59$ because it is just as good as the S9+ probably even better in some departments. However, if you absolutely need Samsung then take the owning it plan. It will resell for pretty good amount maybe half the price

Wow buy a phone and get a tablet. That's awesome.

Don't care about the tablet performance, it just nice to have.

Samsung S9 for the win! It got variable aperture camera, the picture quality is just the best (check dxomark).

Everything else just a small upgrade from s8 which is still very good.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Pixel if you want fast updates 

S9 if you want features 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

It all depends on how you use your phone. 

The S9 has better overall specs if you play intensive mobile games, care about the camera, and have access to a strong signal, but the Pixel 2 is still able to handle all of the day to day features like email as well as be a competent device for gaming and pictures, even though S9 outperforms it.

19 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

I would go the first Samsung option. How is your S7 btw? Mine is pretty good.

Mine is ok, I had my first handset for about a year. then I got it replaced under warranty because it was restarting and getting really hot. I have had the replacement handset for about  a year now and I have a few deep scratches, and.I feel like the phone has gotten slower. Not sure if it was from an update,or if is just me using other newer phones that put in perspective how slow it is.

Im really surprised no one straight out recommended the Pixel 2 XL for the price. The Carrier service is basically free. ($1349rrp for Pixel 2 XL / 24) If i kept my current phone, I would have to go for a $49 month to month deal, Pixel 2 would only cost me $240 extra out of pocket. Is the phone really that bad?

I personally can't stand any of the Pixel phones to be honest.  So for me, yes, it is definitely that bad.  Its just a very bland, generic design, with little to offer in terms of killer features (other than stock Android, which I also don't like).  They also followed Apple by removing the headphone jack (after roasting Apple for it), it doesn't offer wireless charging, has no SD card slot reader, and its only IP67.  Yes the camera performance is very good, but that is not because of necessarily great hardware but because of Google's machine learning algorithm (and the new S9+ will probably perform even better with better camera hardware).

But those are all just important things to me and opinions vary wildly from person to person.  If you don't care about any of that stuff, are solely focused on lowest cost, or just really like the Pixel 2XL then that's what you should get!

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

I'd go with the S9 and sell the tablet. That should bring you a little closer to the same price...though honestly that's a lot more money for a phone that, realistically, isn't going to be that much better. All depends on what you use it for though. You should give us a little more to go on ;)

Don't listen to people saying it'll perform worse; it still has a flagship SoC. Things don't advance that rapidly.

23 hours ago, MegaTechPC said:

I honestly don't understand why anybody would even want a Pixel 2 in the first place?  I mean, that's obviously just my opinion, but it just seems like such a lackluster phone in almost every way.  Sure the camera software is really good, but the hardware itself is nothing special.  Plus the thing is straight up fugly (looks so dated compared to something like the S9 or the iPhone X), it has no wireless charging, no headphone jack, and stock Android is massively overrated.  If I wanted to stick to a vanilla version of an OS I'd just get an iPhone and call it a day.  But as I said, that's just my opinion...

To be fair, you still have the apps and customization with Android that you don't get with Apple even on something like the Pixel.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

56 minutes ago, dizmo said:

All depends on what you use it for though. You should give us a little more to go on ;)

I use my phone mostly for calls, texts, taking photos, and using it for loyalty cards and to pay if i forget my wallet or something like that. I dont play mobile games at all. So both fit the bill for what I want. I have to admit I might miss the wireless charging if i go for the Pixel, but so many times it just doesnt fully charge so im on the fence about it.

I completely forgot about the lack of expandable storage on the Pixel... might be a dealbreaker

Also, if its relevant for you, the S9 offers Samsung Pay which is easily the best phone payment system there is.  I wish to God my bank supported it but its a small town credit union so I don't expect they ever will.  I've been sorely tempted to switch to a bigger bank just so I can use Samsung Pay, its that good...

My bank supports both, its a big Aussie bank though. ive been using Samsung pay, and its very good. Can vouch for it.

Decided to get the S9+. I waited so long for it. After some more research I decided to buy it outright rather than get a plan. works out better that way for me.

On 3/13/2018 at 12:20 AM, SupaKomputa said:

Wow buy a phone and get a tablet. That's awesome.

Don't care about the tablet performance, it just nice to have.

Samsung S9 for the win! It got variable aperture camera, the picture quality is just the best (check dxomark).

Everything else just a small upgrade from s8 which is still very good.

That's the thing with phones from the past 3 years! They're still very good. The Samsung S7 is simply excellent in every way. And if you're buying outright you may as well buy a refurbished phone from last year. I just got myself an iPhone 7 refurbished and it's awesome. I picked Apple because I love having a clean OS, a cornucopia of accessories, skins and cases and the resale value is hard to beat. Almost everyone wants an iPhone.

Another thing to keep an open mind about might be to see if you can find a really good deal on a new S8 or Note 8 since the S9 is definitely a very iterative upgrade over either of those phones.  Obviously the S9 offers some nice new features (like the dual aperture lens and newest SD or Exynos processor) but overall its largely very similar to the S8.  When I got my Note 8 on Thanksgiving it was only $585 at Best Buy which was just a killer deal for a phone that only came out 2 months earlier!  But if you want the S9+ then you should go for it!