Building a home NAS

I am intending to build a home server to store all of mine and my family's data (including system images) and have a number of questions regarding this. To begin with, I'm not sure what hard drives to choose (I'm currently looking at either WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf and will either get 2 * 3TB + 3TB parity or 2 * 4TB + 4TB parity.) Are 5400 RPM drives of this standard fast enough to saturate a gigabit network? I also have a few questions about unRAID shares, as I know that unRAID can store data specifically on the drive you select and both drives will appear as one to the end user over SMB. This being said, what are the best share settings to evening split data between the two data drives?

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

Both disks mentioned will do the job equally well, get what ever is cheapest or you prefer. As far as unRAID I don't know much about it as I've never used it, there is quite a few people on the forum that does and I'm sure they will chime in when they see this post.

I would run freeNAS with 4tb drives in a raid 5. 5400 will saturate a 1gb but not a 2gb for that you need top end 7200 RPM HDDs like X300, and enterprise grade drives.  

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I was thinking of unRAID due to the ease of use and the ability to pass a graphics card through a VM. How would the performance of a raid 5 freeNAS compare to unRAID? What about the whole ECC memory thing?

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

1 minute ago, ThatFlashCat said:

I was thinking of unRAID due to the ease of use and the ability to pass a graphics card through a VM. How would the performance of a raid 5 freeNAS compare to unRAID? What about the whole ECC memory thing?

If you want to host VMs unRAID might be a better choice, also I don't think GPU passthrough works at all on FreeNAS?

You don't need ECC ram for FreeNAS, it's more a nice to have than a need it.

FreeNAS would be better for the file hosting side of things and unRAID will be better at the VM hosting side of things. If you are very likely to be wanting to create VMs I would go with unRAID.

The main reason I'd want to run a VM would be to allow me to use a windows environment on my TV for youtube and amazon prime video as I am using my old server/workstation for that very purpose. I would re-purpose it as a server at least to begin with and might upgrade in the future. Speaking of this, is it easy to transfer an unRAID or freeNAS array to a new system? (Assuming same drives and boot USB).

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

Unraid is going to be one of the slower solutions when writing to the array. Reading any of those drives should be able to saturate the network. To overcome the write speed issue in unraid you will want to add a cache drive. I have two 120Gb SSDs acting as mine. A harddrive will still work as the cache. The catch is that data in the cache is unprotected until written to the array. Another benefit is the way data is written to drives, files are not stripped across several drives. Instead it is written completely to that drive. You can configure shares to write to one drive until it has reached a max threshold then it will start to overflow to another drive. You can also have a disable a share from using the cache for storage. I have mine set to do that when creating backups because speed isn't as important.

Unraid is also very flexible when it comes to adding drives. You can add what ever size that you want as long as it is smaller than your parity drive. Drives can also be added at anytime and as many at a time as you would like.

I'm leaning toward Freenas at the moment but am a little confused about why deduplication exists. What causes duplication of data?

PC Specs:

Freenas specs: