Looking to upgrade my monitor, need help.

t33to

I've got a 25" 21:9 monitor which I'm looking to retire sometime this year. I've really fallen in love with the ultrawide ratio and would like to get a bigger one.

Idealy I want to spend $500 or less, 120hz+, 2560x1080, freesync and preferably smaller than 32 inches.

Im open to trading off 120hz+ for 60hz and freesync if freesync is really as good as people tell me it is. I've read opinions that screen sync is almost as good as super high refresh rates. 

Any suggestions?

I am currently using the LG34uc79g which is an ultrawide 1080p 144hz and man I'll tell you this if you play alot of for games then don't settle for 60hz it's just way smoother at 100-144hz. Unfortunately I don't have an AMD card to test the freesync on it so I can't help you there but if it's like what I experience with g-sync on my other monitor then yeah it's really nice to have making lower framerates feel smoother than they are. 

I have had 3 ultrawides

-LG 34UM68

-LG 34UM95

-Acer X34

you can get something like the 34um68 for around 300 bucks USD if you look around like the 59 model for 280 and it has freesync 75hz i think.

I noticed a big jump in going with the 1440p style because I use my monitor for productivity and 1080p at 34 was a little too pixley for non gaming, as far as high refresh goes the acer x34 that I have just bought is 100hz and IMO it was not as big of  a deal as the jump to 1440 (but your GPU may have issues at that res) sometimes I wish I would have not spent the extra money on the X34 monitor and just stuck with the LG 34UM95

My only gripe with the >30" screens is that you probably have to sit way back to not see the spaces between the pixels unless you go up to 1440p or 4k and I just don't see myself shelling out the dough to purchase a 1070ti or greater at the moment. How far do you sit back from your screen?

1 hour ago, t33to said:

My only gripe with the >30" screens is that you probably have to sit way back to not see the spaces between the pixels unless you go up to 1440p or 4k and I just don't see myself shelling out the dough to purchase a 1070ti or greater at the moment. How far do you sit back from your screen?

I am playing a lot of pubg at the moment @ 1440p with a 980ti getting 100fps I sit way to close most of the time (like a foot and a half away and turn my head alot). When I had the 1080p ultrawide I was on witcher and it looked good at normal distances.

How far did you sit away from your 2560 30" screen?