The Wraith Spiral

Shihab28

Hey guys,
I was thinking that as the Wraith Spiral that comes with the Ryzen 7 1700 is actually better that several air cooler, I wanted to know how good of a decision would it be to use the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut that Linus has recently used in a few of the videos to actually boost the thermal conductivity and give better overall performance or stability in Temps, if possible I request Linus to actually give this a try because I think this is a great idea for people who can't spend much on their new PCs but want it to remain cool at the same time. TIA.

Dont bother to use Conductonaut between the IHS and cooler.

1.) It is a huge mess and a hassle

2.) It is expensive

3.) You wont see any significant improvements in temperature vs a much cheaper regular thermal compund

The Conductonaut is really awesome but just for use on a naked die.

The Ryzen processors don't have thermal paste between the die and the metal lid, they use solder ( indium and tin mix), so the thermal conductivity between the die and the lid is already at levels equal or above that thermal grizzly conductonaut paste.

It would be a bad idea to use that thermal grizzly between the top of the cpu and cooler, because I think one or both metals have aluminum and the paste would eat through it.

The top of the cpu may be nickel plated or something like that, but the heatsink probably isn't.

The R7 1700 is soldered. No reason to use liquid metal as it's not that great of a regular thermal paste between IHS and cooler.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The Ryzen processors don't have thermal paste between the die and the metal lid, they use solder ( indium and tin mix), so the thermal conductivity between the die and the lid is already at levels equal or above that thermal grizzly conductonaut paste.

It would be a bad idea to use that thermal grizzly between the top of the cpu and cooler, because I think one or both metals have aluminum and the paste would eat through it.

The top of the cpu may be nickel plated or something like that, but the heatsink probably isn't.

I saw a few pictures on google, looks like it's a copper base to me, it has thermal paste already applied by AMD themselves so donno if it's aluminium under it.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

There is a copper core but the rest is aluminium which will get destroyed once it comes in contact with Galium (which is a huge part of the Conductonaut LM compound).

Yes, the IHS is nickel plated copper.

3j41aNp.jpg