Study proves that you can secretly hijack an older Mac's webcam

Youbetternot

A pair of Johns Hopkins researchers has just found out a way to hack old mac webcams without flipping the light on. What they did was make a app called iSeeYou which reprograms a controller chip on pre-2009 Macs to separate the camera and LED functions, thus users can just flip the switch off or on anytime. Apple knows about this and has not fixed the issue yet, which means macs now can also be targeted. Only Apple!

iseeyou.jpg

If you believe common wisdom, it shouldn't be possible to take over most webcams without alerting users. The indicator LED is supposed to be hack-proof, after all. However, a pair of Johns Hopkins researchers have recently published aresearch paper showing that it's possible to control the camera while keeping the indicator dark. Their proof-of-concept app, iSeeYou, reprograms a controller chip on pre-2009 Macs to separate the camera and LED functions; users can flick the light on and off like a switch. Apple is aware of the issue with its own systems, but it hasn't said whether or not there will be a fix. It's also unclear how many newer Macs or other PCs are at risk.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/18/study-proves-that-you-can-secretly-hijack-an-older-mac-webcam/

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Cool. Too bad everyone has the new "Swag".

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

I smoked weed with a guy named John Hopkins! (Step brothers reference)

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

I have an '05 Mac. I don't have it plugged in though.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

My school has Macs.... Peter files.

My school has Windows XP PC's in most of the comp. labs. I think I beat you.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

The real question is why would anyone want to waste their time hijacking a hipsters iFruit box?

because the fact that you supposedly coudln't turn the camera on without turning on the LED was marketed as a security feature. 

u can do what every one does

sticker on the webcam

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

you can highjack any kind of webcam. that's why some business monitors with webcams have a shutter with a physical button on them.

the man in black

I smoked weed with a guy named John Hopkins! (Step brothers reference)

It's ok, I got the reference. :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

My school all has W7.wrecked

same here W7 on comps with C2Ds, 1gb ram and 15in widescreen 720p monitors :S

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

same here W7 on comps with C2Ds, 1gb ram and 15in widescreen 720p monitors :S

Laptop?Cause we have i3 sandy bridge 4gb ram and some IGPU but it's a mother computer.

This is similar to the guy that was able to insert his own firmware into the Macbook's battery controller, causing it to do his bidding. Overheating or shutting off or whatever. This is another interesting thing about Apple's walled garden and marriage of hardware and software, it can allow for easy targeting of their hardware. Each Macbook uses the same controllers for the most part, so if an exploit can be found and implemented, it can be done so easily on a massive scale. This would be more evident if Apple had a decent marketshare in then PC world.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Laptop?Cause we have i3 sandy bridge 4gb ram and some IGPU but it's a mother computer.

desktops

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Oh but their individual PCs right.

yea we have like 4 computer labs each with some 20 comps in them

My school rolls out MacBook Airs (it is a very expensive school) and they suck

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

My school rolls out MacBook Airs (it is a very expensive school) and they suck

Mine handed out a 3rd gen ipad to all students and teachers and teachers also got macbook airs