Ryzen 5 1600 and which mobo?

Hi All,

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Ryzen 5 1600 build. But I'm at a loss as to which mobo to choose.

I've been recommended to buy 3000mhz RAM (as Ryzen prefers higher frequency RAM), but almost all of the B350 mobos I see are saying that they only support up to 2600mhz RAM.

What's the deal?

In a perfect world, I want a mobo from Aria PC (UK) and would like to keep it under £100. I'm also looking to pair with an M.2 drive (most likely a SATA M.2, but NVME compatibility would be a bonus).

Any ideas? I'm a bit confused as to what is the best bang for buck, and don't want to overspend, but don't want to go too cheap and get one that is limited on compatibility.

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/AMD+Socket

Would really appreciate any pointers.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

All AM4 boards support up to 2666MHz, because that's what Ryzen is designed to support. 2933,3000 And 3200 (and above) are all memory overclock speeds, which most motherboards and CPUs support just fine these days. Memory compatibility is mostly determined by the motherboard manufacturer, each board has its own QVL with verified configurations for memory.

From your selection, both the Asus B350-Plus and B350-F are excellent choices. Well regarded boards. I'd go for the F as it has a nicer featureset and a nice discount as well.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

If you can wait 4-6 weeks to pull the trigger ryzen+ should be released. at that point you can jump to the new chip or maybe get the old one at a bit of a discount from current prices. 

as for motherboards, ive had two buddies get the ASRock X370 killer SLI and both have been pleased with it. 

I agree with the others mostly in that you may well be better off waiting a few weeks for the new B450 boards. As to RAM, buy something like Ballistix Sport LT 2666 and overclock it to 3000 Mhz (which it does easily), you'll save a decent amount over buying 3000 Mhz RAM and it works well in just about any present AM4 board you can get.

I'm going to be the one to say don't bother waiting if you want to upgrade now. Just go for it. Any well-reviewed X370 board now is better than being a beta tester for the new boards that will come out.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

@NelizMastr @COUPER MILLAR @johnukguy @violentnumeric Thanks for all the advice, as you'll see from my updated signature, I redid my main system and demoted my i5 system to my file server. :)

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

I've had no problems with my ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4, it runs RAM at 3200MHz perfectly.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Running a R5 1600 @3.8 on a MSI B350 Gaming Plus with memory @3200.

Privacy is necessary for an open society in the electronic age. Privacy is not secrecy. A private matter is something one doesn't want the whole world to know, but a secret matter is something one doesn't want anybody to know. Privacy is the power to selectively reveal oneself to the world..