Adding a second HDD with windows 8 in it

lighatnight
Go to solution Solved by MaxBunny,
1 minute ago, lighatnight said:

Hi, I have a important question. I have a 240 sdd and a 120 sdd card. Right now a combined 360 gb only is causing some problems. I want to install a hard drive into my computer with 1 TB in it, however it has windows 8 installed in it already. Will this cause problems? Thanks, Garrett

If you can format it first, or if you have a usb connection (hdd enclosure), then that would be preferable. Your BIOS will read it as a boot device and might try to load it.  That's the only issue. But once windows is up you can plug them in, open up disk management, and format/set a drive letter for it.

Hi, I have a important question. I have a 240 sdd and a 120 sdd card. Right now a combined 360 gb only is causing some problems. I want to install a hard drive into my computer with 1 TB in it, however it has windows 8 installed in it already. Will this cause problems? Thanks, Garrett

1 minute ago, lighatnight said:

If you can format it first, or if you have a usb connection (hdd enclosure), then that would be preferable. Your BIOS will read it as a boot device and might try to load it.  That's the only issue. But once windows is up you can plug them in, open up disk management, and format/set a drive letter for it.

As long as you're still booting from your current OS drive, it's not an issue. If you want the HDD to be clean, you can just boot up and format the drive. 

1 minute ago, MaxBunny said:

So basically when I boot it up, the computer will ignore windows 8 and install normally?

Just now, lighatnight said:

So basically when I boot it up, the computer will ignore windows 8 and install normally?

If you boot it up, AND your ssd boots first, then you're good to go. :D

Just now, MaxBunny said:

If you boot it up, AND your ssd boots first, then you're good to go. :D

My ssd is in Sata 1, so it will boot first.. right? Sorry I'm very noobish at this and I don't want ANY mistakes :D

3 minutes ago, lighatnight said:

My ssd is in Sata 1, so it will boot first.. right? Sorry I'm very noobish at this and I don't want ANY mistakes :D

Not necessarily. If you go into the BIOS and go to boot order settings, you'll be able to choose which drive gets priority. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Not necessarily. If you go into the BIOS and go to boot order settings, you'll be able to choose which drive gets priority. 

Ok, I already have my ssd as priority so I should be good!

Your system may see both windows during the boot . Just choose the one you want to use.

This may not happen, since you have not use this bios to install window on the hdd

9 minutes ago, lighatnight said:

You need to go into the BIOS and make sure that the boot priority list has your SSD first on it, and preferably that the HDD is not on the list.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Before connecting the HDD just save any info you need on the SSD just in case you need to do a format all drives 

as long as you don't boot it and set your boot drive to the SSD, as well as formatting it after you login, it will be completely fine.