Game lobbyists and some mental health experts expressed disagreement with the WHO on the definition of "gaming disorder'

Pick a side, pick a side   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which side are you on? (poll is private)

• WHO
    • Game lobbyists and researchers
    • It's hard to conclude at the moment so I'd wait for more corroborated studies
  2. 2. Do you think compulsive and excessive gamers have free will or something along the way predetermined their actions?

• Free Will
    • I'm not sure
    • Determined

I didn't vote because I didn't see the answer I wanted.

Which is that cognitive dissonance is becoming a mental disorder in its own right.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 3/3/2018 at 11:08 PM, leadeater said:

True, but they won't end up being published in one of the top tier journals which is the key to look out for. It's not that money isn't an issue but the bigger issue is people knowing they can exploit the notion of science, research and published journals itself because they know people really don't know the difference between a trash publication and one that isn't. The 'all science is equal problem', because it isn't.

Thing is science doesn't happen without money and now with better auditing capabilities self declaration of conflicts of interest is much more common, while private money has taken over as the larger source of funding it's still not completely unbalanced but something to keep an eye on. Private money as always been part of science and you can't expect scientists to get nothing out of it be it money or patents, without incentive science wouldn't happen.

Also fud science and academic infighting has always been a thing too, in fact it was far worse 100-200 years ago than it is now. Some academics value their reputation more than the truth, also many examples of this through history.

It's definitely murky water nowadays.  There is so much bad information out there that people lump all scientists together in the same boat.  You see how quickly people get pissed when you point out that crypto is used for crime, they have to address the issue that crime is just a small problem with any currency.  Science is the same, a problem with a few dodgy scientists and people are tripping over themselves to throw out the entire system and every doctor/psychologist in the process.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 3/3/2018 at 3:55 AM, CUDA_Cores said:

you can get addicted to anything. Ever heard of that reality show my strange addictions? Are we going to ban wood because there was some dude who was addicted to eating wood?

There's a difference between a bad habit or a compulsion and an addiction. A drug addiction affects your brain and causes heavy physical discomfort in response to withdrawal. I'm sure the guy who was """addicted""" to eating wood would be just fine if he never saw wood again in his life.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*