Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

I'm at 30FPS constantly on medium settings. I really want to upgrade my PC so badly.

I'm almost maxed out (at 1440x900 anything can run it TBH), but the Athlon bottlenecks the 280X so hard :/ 

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

2 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I'm almost maxed out (at 1440x900 anything can run it TBH), but the Athlon bottlenecks the 280X so hard :/ 

I'm at 1080P, this 8350 holds my GPU back more than you would expect, even with the OC

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

The internet's favorite Miata is back again 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

19 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

The internet's favorite Miata is back again 

That is no longer a car, but rather a meme.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

43 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@warmmilk so what you gonna do with the fox coilovers? 

they're going back to FM

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

3 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

That is no longer a car, but rather a meme.

Tru

1 minute ago, warmmilk said:

they're going back to FM

wow they let you return them after all this time? I'm surprised. 

then again... they probably don't get many returns. 

FM is like the apple of miata mods... they are incredibly good at marketing and making you believe that there stuff is the best (even though it's not always the case as we've learned)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

wow they let you return them after all this time? I'm surprised. 

then again... they probably don't get many returns. 

FM is like the apple of miata mods... they are incredibly good at marketing and making you believe that there stuff is the best (even though it's not always the case as we've learned)

yeah, I emailed them as a hail marry thinking they wouldn't take it.  but I'm getting only 70% back, which I think is fair, I doubt I'd be able to sell it for more (NC used parts market is crap for buyers and sellers).

I like these on track, they're great, but its really a one trick pony.  whereas the Ohlins can do both, street and track

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Uuummmmm, have a large drain pan that you can hold up to the drain plug if its the same design as the s10. it shoots out really far and comes to a drip under the plug. 

And AC Delco oil filters. 

i got a fram ultra... which is the improved version of the xtended guard as shown here (3rd one down) http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/comparison.html

so it'll be fine :P

Thanks for the tip about it shooting out far. ill keep that in mind. We love our concrete ^_^ lol

question is how far to go on a change... im thinking about 7500-8000 like we do on the audi. meh ill just keep an eye on it

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Homemade Fried Chicken, Gravy, and Mashed Potatoes for tonight, first time I've cooked every ingredient for a family meal on my own in a few months (Everyone is so busy and picky I usually just cook for myself and my girlfriend). Was a good meal for sure. Gonna take the Saab out in a bit to go grocery shopping and get stuff for stocking stuffers. Used the Saab to go grab a Christmas tree last night, should have taken a picture of the tree on top of the car, will have to do that next year as we get at least a 7.5 foot tree every year from a local tree farm.The Saab is taking the snow and stuff like a champ, even with the tires currently on it, winter mode is great for icy roads on an incline (starts the car in 3rd gear but can downshift if need be)

What are the advantages of having a dry sump system vs a wet sump system?

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

15 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

What are the advantages of having a dry sump system vs a wet sump system?

13 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

No oil starvation at high Gs is my understanding of it. 

honestly this. and also, when you change the oil, filter, you don't have an added mess since usually the filter is placed away from the oil pan in a remote reservoir, so it doesn't drain all over the place, makes for  a cleaner oil change.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

i honestly hope this performance yaris comes to america. toyota in america is still super bland, despite having the gt86, and the soon to be released supra. http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a31907/toyota-yaris-gazoo-hot-hatch/

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i honestly hope this performance yaris comes to america. toyota in america is still super bland, despite having the gt86, and the soon to be released supra. http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a31907/toyota-yaris-gazoo-hot-hatch/

the yaris can actually be modified pretty well in it's current state, but yes this would be a cool thing if they follow through with it.

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Homemade Fried Chicken, Gravy, and Mashed Potatoes for tonight, first time I've cooked every ingredient for a family meal on my own in a few months (Everyone is so busy and picky I usually just cook for myself and my girlfriend). Was a good meal for sure. Gonna take the Saab out in a bit to go grocery shopping and get stuff for stocking stuffers. Used the Saab to go grab a Christmas tree last night, should have taken a picture of the tree on top of the car, will have to do that next year as we get at least a 7.5 foot tree every year from a local tree farm.The Saab is taking the snow and stuff like a champ, even with the tires currently on it, winter mode is great for icy roads on an incline (starts the car in 3rd gear but can downshift if need be)

haha nice! I can cook but I never do it. And when I do cook I'm a bit alton-brown ish and very scientific with everything. Good part of that is the food always comes out good because it takes guesswork out of the equation, bad part is it takes longer lol

That said, I don't cook much as of right now. We all like mom's food too much haha

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

the yaris can actually be modified pretty well in it's current state, but yes this would be a cool thing if they follow through with it.

a 4wd yaris hot hatch wouldn't be too bad at all. 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

a 4wd yaris hot hatch wouldn't be too bad at all. 

a RWD yaris hot hatch would be even better. but that won't happen lol

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

haha nice! I can cook but I never do it. And when I do cook I'm a bit alton-brown ish and very scientific with everything. Good part of that is the food always comes out good because it takes guesswork out of the equation, bad part is it takes longer lol

That said, I don't cook much as of right now. We all like mom's food too much haha

Actually met Alton Brown once, super nice guy.

But I always helped my mom and Nana in the kitchen so I picked up on a lot of stuff at a young age and can basically whip most anything up without a set recipe and just winging it, It usually turns out pretty good, only ever maybe once cooked something that I didn't care for at all

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

Actually met Alton Brown once, super nice guy.

But I always helped my mom and Nana in the kitchen so I picked up on a lot of stuff at a young age and can basically whip most anything up without a set recipe and just winging it, It usually turns out pretty good, only ever maybe once cooked something that I didn't care for at all

now that's a skill I wish I had ^_^ I have to look things up to get ideas unfortunately... 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

now that's a skill I wish I had ^_^ I have to look things up to get ideas unfortunately... 

I usually just browse through the pantry and throw something together. And everyone always loves it somehow, can't be too bad of a cook if that's the case :D

7 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Are your oil filters not straight up and down? It seems like a lot of imports dont have the oil filters like that. On the s10 its great because i can prefill the filter and spin it on. Which i found out last time, holds 600 mL of oil

corolla (1zz) -> straight up and down

miata -> sideways

infiniti g35 -> sideways

audi a6 3.0t -> upside down (but it's a cartridge so...)

Suburban 5.3 -> straight up and down

(notice how the RWD cars are sideways ROFL)

I could actually prefill the g35's a tiny bit because it was so easy to get to..  also the G35 was the most mess-free car I've ever changed oil on. You undid the filter and since it was at the bottom you just waited for the oil to drain out directly into the pan, then you took it off, dumped the rest out and that's it... you didn't even need gloved oil never touched my hands with that thing...

The miata I can't prefill at all, it's so hard to get into place that I would probably spill it everywhere! I also think this is the only car that exists where if you have fat arms you literally can't change the oil filter on it... I'm honestly not surprised the previous owner went through a motor because someone forgot to put a filter on. Their hands/arms probably didn't fit

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Are your oil filters not straight up and down? It seems like a lot of imports dont have the oil filters like that. On the s10 its great because i can prefill the filter and spin it on. Which i found out last time, holds 600 mL of oil

nope. not at all. on the van and the protege, it's at a like 30-45 degree angle, and on the corolla, it's completely horizontal, but still messy, only convenient. in ranking of easy access from easiest to hardest, it's corolla, then van, then protege. in the protege it's an absolute pain in the ass to access, especially with a jack in the way.

man, literally studying for finals the day before the first day of actual finals is no bueno. i have to study for an ap us history final, and yuck, it's timed and plus i just now started studying. i'm fucked 100000%.

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

I have to do a couple math assignments, autos homework, and write a speech outline tonight but that's it. I am gonna do the autos homework first, then do the math, then write the speech outline starting.... now

tomorrow i have ap us and a music final to deal with. thursday i have pre calc and pre ap bio to deal with, and friday i only have to deal with english (i also take spanish but since i have a 103% in the class i don't need to take the final :D)

On 12/6/2016 at 0:10 PM, vinyldash303 said:

Im not sure its still a 'small block' but it is based on them. But yeah the vortec V6 4.3 does use a distributor. Also, hell yeah S trucks!  I have a 2000 S10 LS. 

@bcredeur97

they do have variable ignition toming though with the ignition coil. Roundabout way if doing it but it works

According to every mechanic i have talked to its classified as a Small block, somehow. anyways. anyone know where i could pick up a cheap OBD scanner in florida?