Do Optical Drive Bay Inner CPU Cooler work?

My question is simple, does a Optical Drive Bay Inner CPU Cooler really cool inner cpu on a laptop? 

Example: I want to buy the Asus FX73VE has great specs but only one cooling vent and a dvd drive, so I looked around and found Optical Drive Bay Inner CPU Cooler on Amazon, but cant find any feedback or reviews telling me if it actually works, so I remember my fav youtuber Linus tech and decided to ask him, so maybe he can show me a video on how to do it and show me if it works or not, hope he reads this. Thanks in advance in any case.

Amazon link to Optical Drive Bay Inner CPU Cooler:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076WQBMVM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1SZLGQYCU5TQ3&psc=1

61Cq4xOpTOL._SL1169_.jpg

61nUlTZXJYL._SL1214_.jpg

61XvXr4ZrhL._SL1204_.jpg

Considering there are no heat pipes I don’t see how this would help.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

It depends on the layout out of the laptop and if the optical drive bay is more or less compartmentalized and sealed.

At best it'll just move air through the laptop, but it's likely not going to be much on where the heatsinks actually are. And at worse, it'll introduce even more dust into the system.

So, you say that your laptop only has one cooling vent BUT does your laptop have any cooling PROBLEMS?  Cause if you're trying to fix a problem you should have a problem first. o.O

as I see it, it would be like having and external cooler inside the laptop sucking the heat and trowing it outside

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

So, you say that your laptop only has one cooling vent BUT does your laptop have any cooling PROBLEMS?  Cause if you're trying to fix a problem you should have a problem first. o.O

its not my laptop yet, im planing on buying it, but reviews on that laptop are that it overheats so im preparing my self

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It depends on the layout out of the laptop and if the optical drive bay is more or less compartmentalized and sealed.

At best it'll just move air through the laptop, but it's likely not going to be much on where the heatsinks actually are. And at worse, it'll introduce even more dust into the system.

as I see it, it would be like having and external cooler inside the laptop sucking the heat and trowing it outside

You first need a laptop that has an optical drive that can be interchanged. But beside this. No it won't help.

You'll cool off the motherboard at best.

This is how a typical laptop CPU heatsink looks like.

MM911.jpg

It may have longer, different shape, have 2 fans, or cool 2 processors (CPU + GPU), but essentially, the cooling is done through the fins, not really the heatpipe. The hetapipe is there to transport heat to the fins. So blowing air in the side of the system might cool the sides of the heatpipe a bit. But that is all.

Also, keep in mind that on most system with an optical drive, they are not on the same level as the CPU/GPU. So you are really cooling off.. maybe the north bridge... yay?!

Just now, GoodBytes said:

You first need a laptop that has an optical drive that can be interchanged.

Well, to be fair, that's any laptop with a standard slim drive.  That said the means of removal can vary even then.  On my old Acer, one screw on the bottom and you could slide it right out.  Meanwhile on my new Asus, while the same kind of drive, the screw is INSIDE the case so you have to remove the entire bottom to access it first. :/

If your laptop exhausts some hot air into the chassis... maybe?

This looks like basically a fan that sucks in air and blows it out the side. If theres no airflow from any hot parts in the system, theres no point in using one.

I had a Thinkpad T42 that i found sucked in air from above the cooler, where the keyboard sat, so it had air intake issues. drilling little holes into the keyboard backplate and PCB (yes i went around the traces, im not retarded) actually helped a little bit for airflow.

But something like this isnt going to do much at all.

If you want better temps out of a laptop, one thats new especially, buy a laptop that isnt poorly designed for thermals (cough macbook airs cough).

You're better off getting a laptop that doesn't have cooling  issues. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, campy said:

If your laptop exhausts some hot air into the chassis... maybe?

This looks like basically a fan that sucks in air and blows it out the side. If theres no airflow from any hot parts in the system, theres no point in using one.

I had a Thinkpad T42 that i found sucked in air from above the cooler, where the keyboard sat, so it had air intake issues. drilling little holes into the keyboard backplate and PCB (yes i went around the traces, im not retarded) actually helped a little bit for airflow.

But something like this isnt going to do much at all.

If you want better temps out of a laptop, one thats new especially, buy a laptop that isnt poorly designed for thermals (cough macbook airs cough).

im on a budget of 900 or less, so if you check Asus FX73VE it offers very good things, except the cooling part

1 minute ago, BadluckBrian said:

You're better off getting a laptop that doesn't have heating issues. 

well yea, but Asus FX73VE offers way to much, and i cant find any other laptop with similar specs, just the 17"screen by it self is hard to find at low price, my best option was to get Opolar Cooler from one of Linus videos on this laptop, but I found this and wanted to know if it would work

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well, to be fair, that's any laptop with a standard slim drive.  That said the means of removal can vary even then.  On my old Acer, one screw on the bottom and you could slide it right out.  Meanwhile on my new Asus, while the same kind of drive, the screw is INSIDE the case so you have to remove the entire bottom to access it first. :/

That is what I meant. I mean anything is technically removable. But I assume one wants the ability to swap on the go the optical drive and the fan.

Some laptop really need the screw to hold the device in place, others have a good implementation of the lock system, and doesn't need anything The screw is more for extra hold, to avoid accidental drive removal and maybe theft if the system is given public.

11 minutes ago, AlejandroChihuahua said:

im on a budget of 900 or less, so if you check Asus FX73VE it offers very good things, except the cooling part

So then continue to expand your savings. If they cut on cooling, you can sure bet they cut at other places like:

• Quality internal components
  • Build quality
  • implemented software control buttons (backlight control, wireless on/off, etc.) instead of hardware, meaning you must install a heavy bloated poorly coded software to make it work, and locks you into a supported OS. If it is at a hardware level, they work anywhere you are, no matter the OS, no matter the version of Windows in the future.
  • Use Non Microsoft Precision Trackpad driver support trackpad (MS requires high speced-up trackpad in order for the trackpad to work with the drivers. While it doesn't guaranty you the best tracking, you know you'll get something decent at absolute worst)
  • Poor warranty coverage and/or service
  • SSD speed (ASUS likes to use SSDs that are so crappy that it makes you question if you have a slow HDD or an SSD)

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

So then continue to expand your savings. If they cut on cooling, you can sure bet they cut at other places like:

• Quality internal components
  • Build quality
  • implemented software control buttons (backlight control, wireless on/off, etc.) instead of hardware, meaning you must install a heavy bloated poorly coded software to make it work, and locks you into a supported OS. If it is at a hardware level, they work anywhere you are, no matter the OS, no matter the version of Windows in the future.
  • Use Non Microsoft Precision Trackpad driver support trackpad (MS requires high speced-up trackpad in order for the trackpad to work with the drivers. While it doesn't guaranty you the best tracking, you know you'll get something decent at absolute worst)
  • Poor warranty coverage and/or service

I did check on that too, but peoples reviews are only on the heat problem, they say its a beast of a machine and give solutions to the heat problem, but aside of that its totaly worth it, thats why I was so Hyped about it, but yea its an option to get more budget and get a better one, my second option is Asus GL703VD its like 200 or 300 more

1 minute ago, AlejandroChihuahua said:

I did check on that too, but peoples reviews are only on the heat problem, they say its a beast of a machine and give solutions to the heat problem, but aside of that its totaly worth it, thats why I was so Hyped about it, but yea its an option to get more budget and get a better one, my second option is Asus GL703VD its like 200 or 300 more

at any case, the real issue was to know if the optical cooler drive works for any computer at all, it could make a cool video to see for many who are looking for cooling options

2 hours ago, AlejandroChihuahua said:

My question is simple, does a Optical Drive Bay Inner CPU Cooler really cool inner cpu on a laptop? 

Example: I want to buy the Asus FX73VE has great specs but only one cooling vent and a dvd drive, so I looked around and found Optical Drive Bay Inner CPU Cooler on Amazon, but cant find any feedback or reviews telling me if it actually works, so I remember my fav youtuber Linus tech and decided to ask him, so maybe he can show me a video on how to do it and show me if it works or not, hope he reads this. Thanks in advance in any case.

Amazon link to Optical Drive Bay Inner CPU Cooler:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076WQBMVM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1SZLGQYCU5TQ3&psc=1

Looking at it, it sucks air from inside the laptop and blows it outside. If anything I'd think this would cause more problems if anything.

Either the optical drive compartment will essentially be sealed off from the rest of the laptop and it'll do nothing, or it'll pull air from inside the laptop, making the actual

CPU fan have to work harder to pull the same amount of air from inside the laptop. (Unless the CPU fan brings in air directly from outside the laptop)

I doubt it'd decrease temps at all since it isn't really increasing the airflow over the fins attached to the heatpipe(s) going to the CPU (and GPU if present).

Something beneficial you could try is opening up the laptop and making sure there isn't any dust buildup, and replace the stock thermal paste with some decent quality paste. (I like Noctua NT-H1, works great from my experience with it)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W