Hello, so I'm 14 years old and I want to get my first camera around June or so, at the moment I use my iPhone X but I love the feeling of a camera and the noise even with good natural light is still really present (maybe it's me if you have tips to reduce it I'll take them).

I don't really care about brands I just don't know how to feel about Canon even tho I really know how this brand works, Nikon is ok I'm not really intersted but I know they have incredible cameras and Sony is really cool, I love the design of theirs mirrorless, they feel build like a tank but sony lenses are generally more expensive than canon lenses.

My budget is max 1000 (1200 if it really is worth it) for the body but of course if you can suggest me a body + a lens for around 1000 i'll don't say no.
I really like taking portrait and landscapes and I also travel a lot. If it helps you to help me I live in Switzerland and the best place to buy a brand new camera is digitec.ch.

Thank you for you help I appreciate that. Have a nice day!

You could maybe find a used Sony A7 ii + a lens now that the A7iii is out sincr a lot of people will probably sell their A7ii for an upgrade. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

But there is tons of options so give us a list of features you want or would like to have. And then I can do some better recommendations. 

36 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

But there is tons of options so give us a list of features you want or would like to have. And then I can do some better recommendations. 

I don't know about the a7ii, it's a 4 years old camera even tho i can find one for around 800 (body only).

So i'd like a great dynamic range for landscapes, aps-c or full frame, I will probably do some videos for school projects but I'm not sure and a good lens choice. The autofocus also is important and the image quality.

For the physical aspect weather sealing is a must have

14 minutes ago, TheLandOfPoro said:

I don't know about the a7ii, it's a 4 years old camera even tho i can find one for around 800 (body only).

So i'd like a great dynamic range for landscapes, aps-c or full frame, I will probably do some videos for school projects but I'm not sure and a good lens choice. The autofocus also is important and the image quality.

For the physical aspect weather sealing is a must have

Don’t think about when cameras was released. They last for a long time. And lenses last forever basically. The A7ii is a very solid body for landscapes, street and portrait photography. Its okay for video and a bit lacking in sports photography. But it is the only Fullframe I’d reccomend in your budget. 

However I’d probably lean more towards one of these cameras: 

• Sony A6300
  • Fujifilm XT-20
  • Canon 80D 
  • Nikon D7200

Lens wise a standard kit lens or normal zoom is a good start for a beginner to later on decide what more specialized lens you want. The one exception may be to get a fast prime for shallow Dof portraits for example. 

If you can afford get a more expensive standard zoom as that will improve quality a lot. For Sony I’d say the 18-105 f/4 is a good choice. Fujifilm have their 18-55 f/2.8-4 which is said to be awesome too. Canon and nikon have some more options but I’m not so into those so can’t reccomend any from there really as I haven’t used one. 

You will also need a few SD cards and I reccomend buying SanDisk Extreme Pro cards. They are expensive but very solid and support 4k video if you go with the a6300 for example. Extra batteries is also reccomended. If you get the Sony or Fuji get at least 2 extra. Third party ones are a lot cheaper too. 

I would advise against an a7ii at this time. Having considered it myself, I don't think it's there, the a7iii is perilously close to the mark, but the a7ii... The only reason I would advise going with Sony is because Sony glass is expensive still, sigma and tamron are entering the market hard in the coming months and availability will significantly increase, which is why, I would rather go with a cheaper Sony body now, get some decent glass, with the intention of upgrading in the near future to the a7iii.

However, that is not something I would advise a beginner do, but rather someone who already owns an entry level camera, isn't invested too much in that system and wants to upgrade to Full frame, but needs stuff like dual cards, 4k and 120fps 1080p. If all of the above do not hold, I'm finding it hard not to say go with a d810 or d750, or even a 5d3 or 6d2.

Also, regarding the design that's where I will firmly disagree, their ergonomics are awful, the a7iii might be better, but coming from a dslr, the a7, a7ii and even a6x00 bodies are too awkward in the hands. And yes, I know the they are smaller argument, but an xt1/xt2 is much better, even for a guy with huge hands like me.  

Now on to your specific case. I firmly believe that the best place to start is an entry level dslr, specifically, the 800d or 77d (since video is a concern and in video AF is the best around).  

Regarding weather sealing, what conditions are we talking about? Swiss winter shooting in the Alps? If so, I think the cameras mentioned above can handle most of (65-70%) what the 80d would handle without something like a weather sealing bag. 

If you do end up going for an 80d, don't for the love of God buy new, go used, its in the tail end of its production cycle and expectation is it will be upgraded within the year. 

For glass, A used EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is probably your best bet. Again, don't buy new, because the price discrepancy on those is huge. You can get them for half the price used. I usually recommend the sigma or tamron versions, but those AF motors are too loud for most video uses. A good prime I don't really see a reason not to buy is the 50mm f/1.8 STM. Its so cheap for what it is, that its a no brainer (perhaps the only no brainer when buying a camera!). 

Further accessories, a spare battery, a couple of good sd cards, a cheap intervalometer/remote trigger and a good tripod will be very appreciated for landscape shooting. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

13 hours ago, cc143 said:

I would advise against an a7ii at this time. Having considered it myself, I don't think it's there, the a7iii is perilously close to the mark, but the a7ii... The only reason I would advise going with Sony is because Sony glass is expensive still, sigma and tamron are entering the market hard in the coming months and availability will significantly increase, which is why, I would rather go with a cheaper Sony body now, get some decent glass, with the intention of upgrading in the near future to the a7iii.

However, that is not something I would advise a beginner do, but rather someone who already owns an entry level camera, isn't invested too much in that system and wants to upgrade to Full frame, but needs stuff like dual cards, 4k and 120fps 1080p. If all of the above do not hold, I'm finding it hard not to say go with a d810 or d750, or even a 5d3 or 6d2.

Also, regarding the design that's where I will firmly disagree, their ergonomics are awful, the a7iii might be better, but coming from a dslr, the a7, a7ii and even a6x00 bodies are too awkward in the hands. And yes, I know the they are smaller argument, but an xt1/xt2 is much better, even for a guy with huge hands like me.  

Now on to your specific case. I firmly believe that the best place to start is an entry level dslr, specifically, the 800d or 77d (since video is a concern and in video AF is the best around).  

Regarding weather sealing, what conditions are we talking about? Swiss winter shooting in the Alps? If so, I think the cameras mentioned above can handle most of (65-70%) what the 80d would handle without something like a weather sealing bag. 

If you do end up going for an 80d, don't for the love of God buy new, go used, its in the tail end of its production cycle and expectation is it will be upgraded within the year. 

For glass, A used EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is probably your best bet. Again, don't buy new, because the price discrepancy on those is huge. You can get them for half the price used. I usually recommend the sigma or tamron versions, but those AF motors are too loud for most video uses. A good prime I don't really see a reason not to buy is the 50mm f/1.8 STM. Its so cheap for what it is, that its a no brainer (perhaps the only no brainer when buying a camera!). 

Further accessories, a spare battery, a couple of good sd cards, a cheap intervalometer/remote trigger and a good tripod will be very appreciated for landscape shooting. 

The d810 and d750 are way of my budget and 4K is a nice touch but not a must have, the only problem is that 1080 is starting to be outdated. 
What's really the difference between the 80D and 77D ?
And for the weather sealing I didn't understand, even a non sealed camera can hold rain ? And no I won't shoot in the Alps just in winter when it's snowing or maybe when it's raining.
For used products it's more difficult, because I'm 14 I relay on my parents to buy the camera ( even if it's my money ) and my mum is scared of don't having any warranty if the product just stop working.

1 hour ago, TheLandOfPoro said:

The d810 and d750 are way of my budget and 4K is a nice touch but not a must have, the only problem is that 1080 is starting to be outdated. 
What's really the difference between the 80D and 77D ?
And for the weather sealing I didn't understand, even a non sealed camera can hold rain ? And no I won't shoot in the Alps just in winter when it's snowing or maybe when it's raining.
For used products it's more difficult, because I'm 14 I relay on my parents to buy the camera ( even if it's my money ) and my mum is scared of don't having any warranty if the product just stop working.

The d810 and d750 can be found used or refurbished for close to that amount, I was recently sent offers from many used camera dealers I an subscribed to. 

the 77d is smaller, has a smaller battery and is cheaper. The 80d has a 100% accuracy viewfinder and weathersealing (some), and 1 stop faster shutter speed. But the 77d has a newer processor and won't be replaced in 6 months. If this is your first camera, the 800d is enough for you, same specs just a couple of ergonomic/cosmetic feature differences that won't make that much a difference to a beginner anyway. 

Weather sealing is a tricky one to explain to people who dont have much experience with it. Most cameras, especially dslrs are much more durable than people believe. What I am saying is that in a snowstorm in the alps, you probably need a well sealed dslr , but even a 1dx or d5 are not guaranteed to survive it, and you certainly cant take them underwater or anything, but a light to mid intensity shower or light snow even a beginner dslr will handle it. 

You could look at camera stores which buy trade in cameras and resell them, that way you are getting a discount, have the peace of mind that the camera is in good nick and have some warranty (3 months to a year) from the store you bought it from. I haven't bought new camera equipment in almost a decade and have had no issues whatsoever yet (that I haven't caused myself). 

Electronics prices in continental europe are waay too high to buy new. Also, with better spec apsc stuff, I find you are able to get better deals buying used because of people selling to upgrade and they will uaually be in a pretty good condition. I will say this, if you have to buy new, go with an 800d, 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS (kit lens) and the 50mm f/1.8 STM. Dont go with higher end stuff, you'll just waste your money. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

Also, about 4k, I completely disagree. It makes sense for most working professionals right now, but not for many others. It has advantages, but it takes more processing power to edit, much more storage requirements, is much more expensive to get in you camera, and still not as reliable as 4k in many aspects. Whatsmore, 4k displays are not that common anyway yet. It would be nice to be able to shoot at 4k if you want the clips you have to last and be useable in the future, but lets be honest here, 1080p will probably be watchable for a long time to come. There needs to be a lot more development and distribution of 4k technology to warrant it being placed in beginner cameras. 

16 minutes ago, cc143 said:

The d810 and d750 can be found used or refurbished for close to that amount, I was recently sent offers from many used camera dealers I an subscribed to. 

the 77d is smaller, has a smaller battery and is cheaper. The 80d has a 100% accuracy viewfinder and weathersealing (some), and 1 stop faster shutter speed. But the 77d has a newer processor and won't be replaced in 6 months. If this is your first camera, the 800d is enough for you, same specs just a couple of ergonomic/cosmetic feature differences that won't make that much a difference to a beginner anyway. 

Weather sealing is a tricky one to explain to people who dont have much experience with it. Most cameras, especially dslrs are much more durable than people believe. What I am saying is that in a snowstorm in the alps, you probably need a well sealed dslr , but even a 1dx or d5 are not guaranteed to survive it, and you certainly cant take them underwater or anything, but a light to mid intensity shower or light snow even a beginner dslr will handle it. 

You could look at camera stores which buy trade in cameras and resell them, that way you are getting a discount, have the peace of mind that the camera is in good nick and have some warranty (3 months to a year) from the store you bought it from. I haven't bought new camera equipment in almost a decade and have had no issues whatsoever yet (that I haven't caused myself). 

Electronics prices in continental europe are waay too high to buy new. Also, with better spec apsc stuff, I find you are able to get better deals buying used because of people selling to upgrade and they will uaually be in a pretty good condition. I will say this, if you have to buy new, go with an 800d, 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS (kit lens) and the 50mm f/1.8 STM. Dont go with higher end stuff, you'll just waste your money. 

Ok thanks for you reaply I'll try to find some refurbished products

17 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Also, about 4k, I completely disagree. It makes sense for most working professionals right now, but not for many others. It has advantages, but it takes more processing power to edit, much more storage requirements, is much more expensive to get in you camera, and still not as reliable as 4k in many aspects. Whatsmore, 4k displays are not that common anyway yet. It would be nice to be able to shoot at 4k if you want the clips you have to last and be useable in the future, but lets be honest here, 1080p will probably be watchable for a long time to come. There needs to be a lot more development and distribution of 4k technology to warrant it being placed in beginner cameras. 

And what about the 750D with a 50mm 1.8 and maybe buy the 16-35 f4 later ? 
And between the 800D and 77D, the 800D is 20 CHF cheaper 

30 minutes ago, TheLandOfPoro said:

And what about the 750D with a 50mm 1.8 and maybe buy the 16-35 f4 later ? 
And between the 800D and 77D, the 800D is 20 CHF cheaper 

The 800d is well worth the extra money. For landscapes, the 50mm will be pretty restricting, and the 16-35mm is obviously better than the kit lens, but the kit lens is pretty cheap when bundled with the camera, so I don't see why you wouldn't get one. Again ofcourse, I would personally look for a body only and buy a 17-55mm f/2.8 or 17-50mm f/2.8 used, but you indicated that might be an issue. 

If that's all the difference between them then the 77d is worth it, but I suspect that that is the case because the 800d is significantly overvalued in the store you are looking at. (I remember rmsrps being like £50-75 apart over here).