Working on my first loop! Is this Res to Pump positioning ok?

Hi! I'm doing my first custom loop build and had a question about positioning of the res and pump. 

The pic I attached shows my plans for the res->pump positioning. They will be approximately horizontally aligned with one another. My plan is to go Res to Pump to Rad (240mm on bottom) to GPU to Rad (mounted on rear 92mm) to (potential second 240 rad on roof if I can get it to fit, it will be passively cooled) to CPU and then finally back to the Res. Does all of this sound OK? Also, do modern waterblocks (mine is Barrows) have a specific in/out for the CPU block? I can't tell if there since there doesn't seem to be any manuals or markings on the CPU block (img of block)

I am very restricted for space (CPU+GPU loop in the Cougar QBX Kaze) so hopefully this positioning works! Would also love to hear any other suggestions, :) thanks!

IMG_20180226_201325_1.jpg

3 minutes ago, plusgin said:

Hi! I'm doing my first custom loop build and had a question about positioning of the res and pump. 

The pic I attached shows my plans for the res->pump positioning. They will be approximately horizontally aligned with one another. My plan is to go Res to Pump to Rad (240mm on bottom) to GPU to Rad (mounted on rear 92mm) to (potential second 240 rad on roof if I can get it to fit, it will be passively cooled) to CPU and then finally back to the Res. Does all of this sound OK? Also, do modern waterblocks (mine is Barrows) have a specific in/out for the CPU block? I can't tell if there since there doesn't seem to be any manuals or markings on the CPU block (img of block)

I am very restricted for space (CPU+GPU loop in the Cougar QBX Kaze) so hopefully this positioning works! Would also love to hear any other suggestions, :) thanks!

That is alright but just ensure your res is always more than 2/3rd full to ensure the pump doesn't ever run dry. As for the CPU block most these days will have flow direction check the documentation but if I'm correct the port near the barrow badge is the inlet. 

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

That is alright but just ensure your res is always more than 2/3rd full to ensure the pump doesn't ever run dry. As for the CPU block most these days will have flow direction check the documentation but if I'm correct the port near the barrow badge is the inlet. 

Thanks for the quick reply! Definitely good to know :)

Do you know if it would it be safe for me to put a plug on the visible port of the res (the port facing the camera on the black base), and fill from there by putting the PC so the back of the motherboard is on the table? The other res port is the top that will be going to the CPU. I plan on having a drain port from a T fitting thats is between the pump and the bottom res, but not sure where else I can add in the fill.

Do you know if it would it be safe for me to put a plug on the visible port of the res (the port facing the camera on the black base), and fill from there by putting the PC so the back of the motherboard is on the table? The other res port is the top that will be going to the CPU. I plan on having a drain port from a T fitting thats is between the pump and the bottom res, but not sure where else I can add in the fill.

I say this from experience and in no insulting way at all, get a backplate for the GPU because it will likley get the odd drip on it during setup of the loop, especially if you have a leak that appears later than expected ...or u need to replace a tube... just...get a back plate... 

1 hour ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I say this from experience and in no insulting way at all, get a backplate for the GPU because it will likley get the odd drip on it during setup of the loop, especially if you have a leak that appears later than expected ...or u need to replace a tube... just...get a back plate... 

Thanks for the tip, the card is a placeholder for now (a R9 290 + waterblock that I got for a good price) until I find a reference GTX 1080ti at a reasonable price. I probably won't be running the GPU in the system at all, and am using it mostly as a guide to what space I have. Will definitely get a backplate for my final card though, not a fan of PCB look

5 hours ago, plusgin said:

Yes you can do that, or even fill the loop via the drain port if need be. Whichever is more convenient.

There's also nothing to say that you can't put the case on its side while filling the loop so that the reservoir remains upright throughout the process.

That's what I do with my sideways tube res.

As W-L mentioned, just make sure the tube res is plenty full for when you put it back on its side.

---

Thanks! I think I'll be using the drain port as a fill as well then. As it turns out it is really hard to mount the res so the bottom goes directly into the pump 90 deg fitting (nowhere to mount to, and side panel clearance. Its now two 90 deg fittings and I've ordered some extenders to do a full fitting run between the two :)

Really wish I had ordered more 90s and some extensions on my original order, now I have to either wait forever or pay a huge premium. Wish I planned this out a little better haha

Really wish I had ordered more 90s and some extensions on my original order, now I have to either wait forever or pay a huge premium

Man, I know how you feel.

I never feel like I have enough angle adapters/fittings. And I'm using soft tubing for crying out loud!

Next month I'm having my third my loop maintenance day.

This will be my second time disassembling the loop for improvements and it's also the second time I find myself buying more angle adapters just to get those perfect runs I was picturing in my head.

Third time's a charm, right?

---