Fan replacement

Cheex18

Hi Guys/Gals,

I am building a new gaming computer and would like to replace all the fans with RGB fans. This problem is i have a Corsair H100i AIO and I noticed the fans were connected via pump connector. The fans came with a controller which allows me to control the speed and color of the lights but i would need to disconnect them from the pump to connect them to controller, will the H100i even power on without the fans connected, also this will mean the pump wont control the fan speed which i'm assuming it's currently doing so i would need to manually ramp up speed as needed. thoughts?

no, they are not RGB and as we know it's RGB or DIE!!!!

all joking aside i would really like to use the RGB ones and have the fan controller that came with them control them as i can change the color of all fans at once. 

17 minutes ago, Cheex18 said:

no, they are not RGB and as we know it's RGB or DIE!!!!

all joking aside i would really like to use the RGB ones and have the fan controller that came with them control them as i can change the color of all fans at once. 

The pump will work without the fans attached.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Am i mistakes or are the rgb cables and the fan cables a different thing? On my r7 1700 stock cooler there are 2 cables. 1 for the fan and other for the rgb lights. One goes into the 4pin fan port, other into the rgb slot.

4 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

Am i mistakes or are the rgb cables and the fan cables a different thing? On my r7 1700 stock cooler there are 2 cables. 1 for the fan and other for the rgb lights. One goes into the 4pin fan port, other into the rgb slot.

the corsair rgb fans have a seperate controller. RGBW on the MB headers are different than fan headers.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

does the corsair H100i control fan speed or is the curve done via software. to be honest i installed it and forgot about it and i dont really notice them ramp up as i have other fans in the case. 

5 minutes ago, Cheex18 said:

does the corsair H100i control fan speed or is the curve done via software. to be honest i installed it and forgot about it and i dont really notice them ramp up as i have other fans in the case. 

Curve is managed through software. As far as i can tell, the software flashes a configuration to the pump and the pump is the primary curve. The USB cable it is plugged into does not need to be attached to the computer at all times. What you lose however is telemetry such as fan speed and water temp.

System specs:

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

Curve is managed through software. As far as i can tell, the software flashes a configuration to the pump and the pump is the primary curve. The USB cable it is plugged into does not need to be attached to the computer at all times. What you lose however is telemetry such as fan speed and water temp.

but i gain RGB and really lets be honest thats all that matters anyway right? lol

Just now, Cheex18 said:

but i gain RGB and really lets be honest thats all that matters anyway right? lol

you do you. like i said, the fans do not need to be attached to the pump for the pump to function, however if you want telemetry, like water temp (which is something you're going to want to know to set your fan curves when you attach the fan controller) you're going to want to keep the USB cable attached to the pump.

System specs:

1 hour ago, emosun said:

just use the fan thats on the h100i already

they´re loud AF

40 minutes ago, Cheex18 said:

if you got the budget i´d recommend to swap the standard fans (not in case of a miracle if corsair changed them )

performance / noise

the standard fans( 37,7dB 2500rpm airflow 70,6cfm  )

the nf f12 pwm ( 22,4 dB 1500rpm airflow 93,4cfm )

the industrial versions ( ca 29,7dB with 2000rpm airflow 121,8cfm )

you might get some LTT blacK/orange versions if you dont want the beige/brown color ( all noctua come with various "low rpm adapters" to reduce max RPM)

you can also go for EK vardar or whatever brand you like that outperforms those "jet engine/vacuum" standard fans

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

Hi Bl00dgod those are not RGB fans and if there is one thing that matters in computers builds it's RGB. GPU, Cooling....RAM optional. RGB required. lol. i an a huge fan of that...err fan... fan..fan... whatever... point is i agree its a much better fan that the stock ones. 

some vendors offered a RGB "attachment" to upgrade non RGB fans with that feature, i just cant remember the exact name

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

Just now, Bl00dgod said:

some vendors offered a RGB "attachment" to upgrade non RGB fans with that feature, i just cant remember the exact name

I think that might be Corsair

hi

23 minutes ago, germgoatz said:

I think that might be Corsair

remembered one vendor - > phanteks halo fan frames 

https://www.caseking.de/phanteks-halos-140mm-rahmen-rgb-led-schwarz-luph-038.html

i bet there are many more @Cheex18

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Bl00dgod said:

remembered one vendor - > phanteks halo fan frames 

https://www.caseking.de/phanteks-halos-140mm-rahmen-rgb-led-schwarz-luph-038.html

i bet there are many more @Cheex18

i hear banjos playing after looking at those...

System specs:

6 hours ago, Almostbauws said:

Yes, they are different cables.

RGB header: phanteks-4-pin-rgb-led-adapter-for-mainb

Case fan header: molex-en.png

It doesn't really matter how you decide to power your fans. Which header is preferable depends on how you prefer to control your fans. If you prefer to control them using Corsair Link, you can plug them into the headers on the pump. If you prefer using the motherboard software, you can plug them into a header on your motherboard.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.