R9 390 bottlenecked

I have an R9 390, and the current experience is terrible. Although 3DMark says that my GPU is adequate for a 390, Cinebench does not because it proves 96 fps when my card should reach 130; I know the cause, but not the solution. Some stutter that is fixed with third party applications, but there is a problem that no one seems to know the answer to: regardless of resolution or settings, I never, NEVER get better or worse FPS. Sounds good, but it isn't because in games such as Far Cry 4 where I dip in the low 50s and mid 40s (which is where my freesync range goes to shit) I cannot dip the settings to get a smooth frame rate. I have an i5 6500, which does NOT bottleneck a 390, 1x8 GB RAM, a Corsair RM650x and good thermals. No it is not due to lack of optimization in games, but a problem with the driver of my card, some sort of power saving feature I can't find. No power save features are turned on in the AMD drivers, or windows C. Panel, the PCI-E slot in C. Panel does not have any power saving features on, and my PSU should be enough. No, I don't use V-Sync, and the wattage profile in the AMD driver is set to 50+, and "Ultra Power Saving" or whatever option is turned off in a third party app. the answer is not obvious, I am sure of that, so I want someone with experience on this.

I've tried:

Different drivers

Downloading a gaming bios for my 390

Re seating RAM

Re seating the GPU

Using two power cables, not a split 8+6

Overclocking (which causes artifacts)

Turning it off and back on again

Turning off freesync

Updating MOBO Bios

Latest Intel driver

Uninstalled old drivers 

Resetting CMOS

I can't switch my PCI-E slot to the bottom one since my card is too long, lol.

Anybody with similar experiences both on AMD or NVidia that fixed this problem by fiddling with the BIOS or windows settings (I have an Asus mobo btw), but does not require reinstalling windows, or formatting my HDD and SSD (because fuck that shit).

Are you really using cinebench to measure the capabilities of your gpu? lmao

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

1 minute ago, This kid builds pc said:

^^^ Use Engine Valley, it's a much better GPU benchmark, that lets you run it on a loop for stress testing (thus why I use it instead of the newest one, Superposition). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, This kid builds pc said:

tried it first but then used 3dmark so pls stfu. My problem with cinebench is that because for some reasin my fps are capped between a point to a point, i just can't get higher fps.

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^ Use Engine Valley, it's a much better GPU benchmark, that lets you run it on a loop for stress testing (thus why I use it instead of the newest one, Superposition). 

thats not the point wtf.

My problem with cinebench is that because for some reasin my fps are capped between a point to a point, i just can't get higher fps.

Just now, AskingForAFriend said:

thats not the point wtf.

My problem with cinebench is that because for some reasin my fps are capped between a point to a point, i just can't get higher fps.

Precisely our point, cinebench is a terrible GPU benchmark, so ofc it's capping your fps. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Precisely our point, cinebench is a terrible GPU benchmark, so ofc it's capping your fps. 

yes, i know that. but its not just cinebench ffs, its every game i have. even csgo, i can run that at 720p, lowest settings and still get the exact framerate of 1080p max

yes, i know that. but its not just cinebench ffs, its every game i have. even csgo, i can run that at 720p, lowest settings and still get the exact framerate of 1080p max

what fps does it lock to? Always 93? Could be AMD's version of V-Sync or something.

Main PC 

Well csgo is a cpu intensive game so that doesnt change anything

3 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

tried it first but then used 3dmark so pls stfu. My problem with cinebench is that because for some reasin my fps are capped between a point to a point, i just can't get higher fps.

hey bud calm down a lil. Try uninstalling and reinstalling windows.

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

"in games such as Far Cry 4 where I dip in the low 50s and mid 40s (which is where my freesync range goes to shit) I cannot dip the settings to get a smooth frame rate"

Just now, This kid builds pc said:

hey bud calm down a lil. Try uninstalling and reinstalling windows.

trying to piss me off. yeah.

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

Well csgo is a cpu intensive game so that doesnt change anything

it does. an i5 is capable of 300fps csgo, 210fps tops is terrible, especially at 720p

5 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

trying to piss me off. yeah.

He's not. You're being all angry and rude to people who are, of their own free will and free time, choosing to try and help you with an issue. Don't get mad at us, we are trying to think of possible ways to fix the issue. And he's right, Windows reinstalls often help with bad performance. When's the last time you did one, and have you swapped systems without doing a reinstall?

Main PC 

4 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

it does. an i5 is capable of 300fps csgo, 210fps tops is terrible, especially at 720p

Do you have a 240 Hz Monitor? I'm not even sure if your monitor can handle 300 FPS, make sure your equipment is running it. Check the clock speed too, as it could be lowered.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

The i5-6500 can limit the performance of a GPU depending on the game. Far Cry 4 is an example of a game that's sensitive to CPU performance and you can find benchmarks were the i5-6500 does appreciably worse than an i7-6700K at stock. However, for a pure GPU test, it shouldn't do that.

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

He's not. You're being all angry and rude to people who are, of their own free will and free time, choosing to try and help you with an issue. Don't get mad at us, we are trying to think of possible ways to fix the issue. And he's right, Windows reinstalls often help with bad performance. When's the last time you did one, and have you swapped systems without doing a reinstall?

I wrote that I do not want to reinstall windows because it is too much of a lengthy process. Otherwise please point out any posts that "helped me" because I only see people that say that cinebench is a bad GPU testing tool; I know, it just proves my point about the fps boundaries.

3 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

Do you have a 240 Hz Monitor? I'm not even sure if your monitor can handle 300 FPS, make sure your equipment is running it. Check the clock speed too, as it could be lowered.

No, 1010 Mhz GPU clock, 1500Mhz MEM clock. 75Hz freesync monitor and I didnt use vsync so my fps was fully uncapped.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The i5-6500 can limit the performance of a GPU depending on the game. Far Cry 4 is an example of a game that's sensitive to CPU performance and you can find benchmarks were the i5-6500 does appreciably worse than an i7-6700K at stock. However, for a pure GPU test, it shouldn't do that.

Yea, my fps always stays in the same range, no matter the res or quality

I have an R9 290, which is basically a 390 with 4GB of ram.

I get 116 fps in cinebench with an X5675 CPU and Win 7. Cinebench is also a useless benchmark for this.

Something may be screwey with your system. Is your CPU at full load when running games or benching (i.e. streaming or other background tasks)?

You also are running single channel memory. That might have an effect though likely minimal.

Have you OCd your motherboard or messed with PCI/BCLK frequencies? Doing that can drop the bus down from PCIe-3 to -2 or lower. Then again, I'm on PCIe-2 x16.

Do you have a bunch of devices plugged into PCIe?

Do you have a buddy or second computer to determine whether it's the card or something else in the system?

What temps does the card see under load? It could be throttling itself.

Is your monitor set to the newest communication protocol (HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.x)? I don't use freesync so have no idea on its quirks.

Finally, check your attitude. We aren't causing the issue so don't project your frustration onto those trying to help.

10 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

I have an R9 290, which is basically a 390 with 4GB of ram.

I get 116 fps in cinebench with an X5675 CPU and Win 7. Cinebench is also a useless benchmark for this.

Something may be screwey with your system. Is your CPU at full load when running games or benching (i.e. streaming or other background tasks)?

You also are running single channel memory. That might have an effect though likely minimal.

Have you OCd your motherboard or messed with PCI/BCLK frequencies? Doing that can drop the bus down from PCIe-3 to -2 or lower. Then again, I'm on PCIe-2 x16.

Do you have a bunch of devices plugged into PCIe?

Do you have a buddy or second computer to determine whether it's the card or something else in the system?

What temps does the card see under load? It could be throttling itself.

Finally, check your attitude. We aren't causing the issue so don't project your frustration onto those trying to help.

No, my CPU is arround 80% usage when playing games, haven't ocd anything, I don't have background tasks that are resource draining ( only fraps ). Not sure about PCi/BCLK frequencies, as my mobo options are at default, no other devices in my pcie but my gpu, no dummy or testing pc, an my card never goes above 70 degrees celcius. and finally, i'm mad at people who didn't read the post and recommended me to uninstall windows (when i said i didnt want to) and that cinebench is a bad benchmark tool, which completely misses my point. ill check out the bclk and pci frequencies.

14 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

No, my CPU is arround 80% usage when playing games, haven't ocd anything, I don't have background tasks that are resource draining ( only fraps ). Not sure about PCi/BCLK frequencies, as my mobo options are at default, no other devices in my pcie but my gpu, no dummy or testing pc, an my card never goes above 70 degrees celcius. and finally, i'm mad at people who didn't read the post and recommended me to uninstall windows (when i said i didnt want to) and that cinebench is a bad benchmark tool, which completely misses my point. ill check out the bclk and pci frequencies.

If you haven't OCd anything then the BCLK and PCI frequencies are likely not the issue either.

You're likely having a software issue rather than hardware from the sounds of it, though 80% CPU usage is pretty high. If you've reinstalled drivers, updated drivers, updated games, and updated BIOS and firmware on all your components....dunno what to tell you that everyone else hasn't already. OS might not be the issue but hard to tell without trying a reinstall.