Is It time to delid 7700k or for RMA

Hi,
Recently I have noticed that cpu gets hot while playing games( temps around 80~82°c). I cleaned the fans fans motherboard, cooler and changed the thermal paste but the results were same. My PC specs are 
1. Intel Core i7 7700k( @ stock Frequency)
2. Corsair H80i
3. Asus Maximus IX Hero
4. Gskill Ripjaws V 16 GB(2x8 GB) 
5. Gigabye GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 
6. Corsair RM750x
7. Corsair Carbide 400R
8. 5 120mm case fans ( two at front, two at top, one at bottom)
I did some test which I like to share-
First test was @32°c room temperature, case fans are @ 1200 rpm, Cooler Fans @ 2600 rpm. CPU temp went to 90°c within a minute.

NO_AC.thumb.jpg.62dee0cab5e31495e93f644eaed79067.jpg

Second test was @25°c room temperature with AC on, case fans are @ 1200 rpm, cooler fans @ 2600 rpm.CPU temp reached 86°c after 3 minutes.

WITH_AC.thumb.jpg.e159a8c9af15e78f754aed820f220258.jpg

I did a Prime95(v26.6) test but cpu temp went 90°c immediately, so I had to stop the test. 
My question is, 
1. Should I delid my CPU to get better result?
2. Or something wrong with my CPU( It has 2 years warranty left)
P.S: My idle temp on first case 32~34°c and second case 29~31°c 

Intel 7700k । Asus Maximus IX Hero । Gigabye GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming । Gskill Ripjaws V 16 GB(2x8 GB) । Corsair Rm750x । Corsair H80i । Corsair Carbide 400R ।

I would recommend you to RMA it before even trying to delid, since delidding will automatically void the warranty. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

Just now, Jasun said:

I would recommend you to RMA it before even trying to delid, since delidding will automatically void the warranty. 

Ok.

and is there any other solution, coz in INDIA it will take over a month to replace a cpu

Intel 7700k । Asus Maximus IX Hero । Gigabye GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming । Gskill Ripjaws V 16 GB(2x8 GB) । Corsair Rm750x । Corsair H80i । Corsair Carbide 400R ।

6 minutes ago, sloke123 said:

-

Temps sounds fairly normal for me for a non delidded 7700k+ H80i. Delidding will get you some distance, but its really the cooler that's holding you back in this case as well. 

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Temps sounds fairly normal for me for a non delidded 7700k+ H80i. Delidding will get you some distance, but its really the cooler that's holding you back in this case as well. 

So how do I check the cooler??

any suggestion.. 

1 minute ago, sloke123 said:

So how do I check the cooler??

any suggestion.. 

The cooler is working, its just not able to keep the cpu cool enough. 120 mm AIOs are really only as good as budget/mid tier air coolers. Ever change to a big air cooler, or get a 240 mm (or bigger) AIO like the H100i v2.

8 minutes ago, For Science! said:

The cooler is working, its just not able to keep the cpu cool enough. 120 mm AIOs are really only as good as budget/mid tier air coolers. Ever change to a big air cooler, or get a 240 mm (or bigger) AIO like the H100i v2.

Would it fit in my old case. Cos I tried to install the cooler on top grill of the case, it hit rear i/o shield and ram

11 minutes ago, sloke123 said:

Would it fit in my old case. Cos I tried to install the cooler on top grill of the case, it hit rear i/o shield and ram

It should fit on the top. The H100i v2 is basically identital to the H100i.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-400r-mid-tower-case

Compatible Corsair Liquid Coolers
H55, H60, H75, H80i, H90, H100i

this one might be tricky.

That cooler comes with a backplate, before seating the block over the CPU, was the backplate tight or loose? have you checked for gaps between the mounting screws and the mobo?

Check that, if the backplate and the screws are loose, even a tiny bit, you'll need to add some rubber washers between the plate and the mobo because otherwise the block won't touch the IHS.

Also mount the rad on top, just googled your case and looks like those HDD bays aren't removable so you can't do a front mount. Hope that works

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

It should fit on the top. The H100i v2 is basically identital to the H100i.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-400r-mid-tower-case

Compatible Corsair Liquid Coolers
H55, H60, H75, H80i, H90, H100i

ok, Thanks for the advice

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

this one might be tricky.

That cooler comes with a backplate, before seating the block over the CPU, was the backplate tight or loose? have you checked for gaps between the mounting screws and the mobo?

Check that, if the backplate and the screws are loose, even a tiny bit, you'll need to add some rubber washers between the plate and the mobo because otherwise the block won't touch the IHS.

Also mount the rad on top, just googled your case and looks like those HDD bays aren't removable so you can't do a front mount. Hope that works

I can personally say that the corsair backplates are loose, However they clamp tight when you screw the cooler onto it. I tried putting washers in the back for a while (felt proud about my "fix" at the time) but then later removed them, and there was no difference (since they both clamp tight after screwing down the block).

4 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

I certainly look into this.

5 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

I tried that one, but it hit the mobo rear I/O shield and RAM

I would delid and get a better cooler bro 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

1 minute ago, sloke123 said:

I certainly look into this.

I tried that one, but it hit the mobo rear I/O shield and RAM

Personally surprised you're hitting the RAM in that case. You may have to remove the RAM sticks and install the radiator first. As for the I/o shield, you may have to remove it, but I would personally be surprised. Worst case try to install the radiator first and then slide the mobo underneath it....

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Personally surprised you're hitting the RAM in that case. You may have to remove the RAM sticks and install the radiator first. As for the I/o shield, you may have to remove it, but I would personally be surprised. Worst case try to install the radiator first and then slide the mobo underneath it....

ok, I'll try one more time. Thanks for the suggestions

1 hour ago, sloke123 said:

Hi,
Recently I have noticed that cpu gets hot while playing games( temps around 80~82°c). I cleaned the fans fans motherboard, cooler and changed the thermal paste but the results were same. My PC specs are 
1. Intel Core i7 7700k( @ stock Frequency)
2. Corsair H80i
3. Asus Maximus IX Hero
4. Gskill Ripjaws V 16 GB(2x8 GB) 
5. Gigabye GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 
6. Corsair RM750x
7. Corsair Carbide 400R
8. 5 120mm case fans ( two at front, two at top, one at bottom)
I did some test which I like to share-
First test was @32°c room temperature, case fans are @ 1200 rpm, Cooler Fans @ 2600 rpm. CPU temp went to 90°c within a minute.

NO_AC.thumb.jpg.62dee0cab5e31495e93f644eaed79067.jpg

Second test was @25°c room temperature with AC on, case fans are @ 1200 rpm, cooler fans @ 2600 rpm.CPU temp reached 86°c after 3 minutes.

WITH_AC.thumb.jpg.e159a8c9af15e78f754aed820f220258.jpg

I did a Prime95(v26.6) test but cpu temp went 90°c immediately, so I had to stop the test. 
My question is, 
1. Should I delid my CPU to get better result?
2. Or something wrong with my CPU( It has 2 years warranty left)
P.S: My idle temp on first case 32~34°c and second case 29~31°c 

I agree with most of the posts here. This issue CAN be tricky. In terms of CPUs, 80c while gaming for extended periods of time isn't unheard of, especially in situations where the case doesn't allow for good airflow, the GPU blows at the CPU (depending on case orientation), weak cooler for the chip, etc. 

Honestly, in a room with an ambient temperature of 32c (which is about 80f) and that cooler, I am not all that surprised. Is that CPU a little warm? I think so, but certainly not outside of normal realms given the temperature of the room (especially if the air is humid). At the end of the day, it may be worth it to "try again" and RMA the chip, however, you MAY encounter only slightly better temperatures. Try just using the PC for Netflix, YouTube, etc (basic tasks) and see if it spikes. If after some time of doing basic tasks and the system does not heat up, I believe that the chip is simply limited by the cooler (the H80i). In that case, you may want to de-lid or pick up a better water or air cooler. 

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

I can personally say that the corsair backplates are loose, However they clamp tight when you screw the cooler onto it. I tried putting washers in the back for a while (felt proud about my "fix" at the time) but then later removed them, and there was no difference (since they both clamp tight after screwing down the block).

Added that because my CPU had similar temps to OP's under load, after reseating the block 3 times the only thing that fixed it was adding the washers

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

21 hours ago, CrippledROBOT said:

I agree with most of the posts here. This issue CAN be tricky. In terms of CPUs, 80c while gaming for extended periods of time isn't unheard of, especially in situations where the case doesn't allow for good airflow, the GPU blows at the CPU (depending on case orientation), weak cooler for the chip, etc. 

Honestly, in a room with an ambient temperature of 32c (which is about 80f) and that cooler, I am not all that surprised. Is that CPU a little warm? I think so, but certainly not outside of normal realms given the temperature of the room (especially if the air is humid). At the end of the day, it may be worth it to "try again" and RMA the chip, however, you MAY encounter only slightly better temperatures. Try just using the PC for Netflix, YouTube, etc (basic tasks) and see if it spikes. If after some time of doing basic tasks and the system does not heat up, I believe that the chip is simply limited by the cooler (the H80i). In that case, you may want to de-lid or pick up a better water or air cooler. 

It does not heat while doing basic task. It heats up only while gaming,

Here is a question I haven't seen asked. What is your Vcore voltage? I have a feeling it is like most motherboards on this chip and that the voltages are also much higher than they need to be. At stock clocks you should be sitting about 1.15-1.18 on vcore.

22 hours ago, For Science! said:

I did what you said,sir. But it won't fit. Because H80i radiator is thicker (40mm) than H100i v2(30mm)

If I try to fit the radiator to the front side radiator mount, it hit the ram. 

IMG_20180223_014223.thumb.jpg.550c1127d2a9278a4a037f790031f451.jpg

And if I try to mount the radiator to the rear side of the radiator mount, It hit 8pin cpu connector.

IMG_20180223_014422.thumb.jpg.fdbe1d8eb4e2285bbe1078b1f0f0ffff.jpg

But after doing a lot of googling and watching tips&tricks, I figured it out that I was trying to mount the radiator by the mounting holes. Thats why I cant mount it properly. So I mount the radiator slightly offset to the holes.

IMG_20180223_020752_HDR.thumb.jpg.dc19e96256f01dfb4b63c4ba5398b571.jpg

And guess what it worked. Though the idle temps are bit high(~42°c) but never goes beyond 88°c

I played Assassins's creed origins for hour and the temps never goes above 75°c. Previously it hit 80°c right after the game start.

Thank you for the suggestion.:)

14 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Here is a question I haven't seen asked. What is your Vcore voltage? I have a feeling it is like most motherboards on this chip and that the voltages are also much higher than they need to be. At stock clocks you should be sitting about 1.15-1.18 on vcore.

I really don't know about that.. May be this will helpvcore.jpg.cf68d4cd67d54aacfb68a28b50422d7c.jpg

The 7700k is pretty toasty as a cpu - mine was touching 95C at stock under full load with ambient temps of 22-24C. It seems you've gotten one unlucky chip too - my solution was to switch to a bigger cooler (went to the Cryorig R), and delid. Now it sits at around 70C at 4.7Ghz.

16 hours ago, sloke123 said:

I really don't know about that.. May be this will helpvcore.jpg.cf68d4cd67d54aacfb68a28b50422d7c.jpg

So you will need to open up the section for the motherboard and see what your vcore is. VID is what your cpu is requesting from the motherboard... going off this number alone I can tell you it is requesting way more power than it needs. Most 7700k can run at 1.15-1.18 and bad ones can run on 1.20. I mention  this because 1.20 to 1.28 is a lot of extra heat. You might need to run a - offset to get it down... or since this is probably turbo voltage you can also use Adaptive to limit this to a more reasonable range.

I would be curious what your vcore is. It could potentially be higher than even the VID.

3 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

So you will need to open up the section for the motherboard and see what your vcore is. VID is what your cpu is requesting from the motherboard... going off this number alone I can tell you it is requesting way more power than it needs. Most 7700k can run at 1.15-1.18 and bad ones can run on 1.20. I mention  this because 1.20 to 1.28 is a lot of extra heat. You might need to run a - offset to get it down... or since this is probably turbo voltage you can also use Adaptive to limit this to a more reasonable range.

I would be curious what your vcore is. It could potentially be higher than even the VID.

You are absolutely right, mine is running at 1.232(2~5% load). I guess I got the pretty bad one:(.

I thinking about RMA . Let see, may be this time I'll get the better one.

vcore1.jpg.1d1b7147df7d1764fe4424822e6dffd6.jpg