I want to overclock a core i7 5500U

I want to be clear on this first, I got this laptop as a christmas present in end of 2016, I like it, it's an ASUS X751LX with a GTX 950M on board and 12 gigs of RAM, it cost around $1200 cdn after taxes and enviro fees, the wife and I could NOT afford a "Gaming" laptop nor can we, but I am under the impression that these processors are "somehow" overclockable.

I am NOT looking to bump it to stupid MHZ levels as the base clock is 2.4 and turbos up to 3, I would like to be able to pin the processor to 3 if I can or maybe 3.1, somewhere in that small percentile.

anyway, I have "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" installed on it but the core clock is grey'd out (I know, laptop with a "U" processor), but I have seen a score list of people from all over the place who have somehow overclocked these processors yet I have found no guides and obviously being a LAPTOP the BIOS is stupid basic.

I am asking for help to at least find a utility (or unlock intel's for my chip) that can allow me to overclock the chip even a little bit, I am not looking for a lecture that it cannot be done or that I should just invest in a better laptop.

I want to apologize if I sound rude or snarky, i'm not meaning to, i'm just trying to cover my question with what I need to know, I asked a question before in the discord and after saying I cannot afford an SSD I was still told to purchase an SSD and the conversation just turned into people saying what SSD they want so once again I apologize for sounding mean or attitude filled about this.

thank you for anyone who tries to help.

I don't think it's overclockable at all.

the manufacturer can set the TDP though, so maybe some higher scores/speeds you see are from laptops with higher stock TDPs

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

@InuYasha86000

TDP for processor is 15W max, but OEM can tune it down to 7.5W, so if your TDP is tuned down then cpu can't maintain boost clock all the time and won't be as fast as 15W version

Some models have locked BIOS and firmware, meaning that you can't change the clock speed, TDP etc. Also, is the cooling system of the laptop able to handle the extra heat?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

44 minutes ago, InuYasha86000 said:

I am asking for help to at least find a utility (or unlock intel's for my chip) that can allow me to overclock the chip even a little bit, I am not looking for a lecture that it cannot be done or that I should just invest in a better laptop.

You can't overclock it in any way whatsoever. 

U= ultra slow

Buy a new laptop with hq cpu. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

from what I can see in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, I CAN adjust power settings a bit but core stays grey'd out. and it shows on the label stuck to the laptop itself below the keys that it can turbo up to 3.0, not sure if that might make any difference at all.

now i'm even more curious how other 5500U processors apparently got overclocking scores.