Mechanical keyboard switch suggestion

bragghy

I am looking for the right switch for my new keyboard, and because I never used a mechanical one and I don't have a way to test a bunch of them I'm asking here. I will be using it for gaming and typing. I type at 60wpm with a 90% accuracy rate on my MacBook Air keyboard. I usually like to press the keys until the very bottom and I don't care about the noise, but I would prefer it to be not too loud

2 minutes ago, bragghy said:

I am looking for the right switch for my new keyboard, and because I never used a mechanical one and I don't have a way to test a bunch of them I'm asking here. I will be using it for gaming and typing. I type at 60wpm with a 90% accuracy rate on my MacBook Air keyboard. I usually like to press the keys until the very bottom and I don't care about the noise, but I would prefer it to be not too loud

You can't go wrong with a Cherry MX brown. Blue's are very loud.

Check out this link.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I prefer blues, but I would recommend getting one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/WASD-6-Key-Cherry-Switch-Tester/dp/B00AZQKCD4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518972783&sr=8-2&keywords=keyboard+tester

Helped me realized I loved blues. (thanks @TVwazhere) I've leaned that everyone likes something different, so recommendations from others might be helpful, but also may be the opposite of what you actually want. It's such a subjective thing.

Edit: Yep, blues are as loud as eating glass sandwiches with metal teeth, but I love the audible feedback.

I quite like reds, to be honest it is all down to personal preference, so get a switch tester thingy to check first

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

19 minutes ago, bragghy said:

Reds/Browns. Also, youll type faster on a mechanical keyboard,

25 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

I prefer blues, but I would recommend getting one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/WASD-6-Key-Cherry-Switch-Tester/dp/B00AZQKCD4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518972783&sr=8-2&keywords=keyboard+tester

Helped me realized I loved blues. (thanks @TVwazhere) I've leaned that everyone likes something different, so recommendations from others might be helpful, but also may be the opposite of what you actually want. It's such a subjective thing.

Edit: Yep, blues are as loud as eating glass sandwiches with metal teeth, but I love the audible feedback.

Definitely figure out what you want in a keyboard first (this includes O-rings) which can affect total travel distance slightly, reduce bottom-out noise and can soften bottom out force which reduces strain on your hands. Some keyboards come with them, others dont (My Logitech G710+ vs my Corsair K70 felt totally different until I realized thr G710+ came with O-rings.)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Buy a switch tester! They cost around $ 20 and you will make sure that your not just dumping $150 into a keyboard that you won't like. I'm personally a fan of clicky switches and cherry mx blues have a special place in my heart. You should try zelios and matias clicky switches if you want something a bit heavier though. I personally want to get a keyboard with Kalih's new jade box switches as they seem to have a low actuation force with a deep and satisfying click to them.

I like browns the most

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Currently using Cherry MX Browns on a Cooler Master Masterkey S PBT, they are great :D