Linus touhing his hip?

Flyken27

I'm not sure what he's doing, I've seen him touch his phone or something before to maybe silence it during a video, but now he's touching his hip or "phone" every minute it seems like. Can someone explain this for me?

It's to switch to the next page/slide for his script. He has a display under the camera that has the script on there (not sure what the technical name for it is).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

It's to switch to the next page/slide for his script. He has a display under the camera that has the script on there (not sure what the technical name for it is).

Teleprompter I think?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Teleprompter I think?

Ah, that's what it is. Thanks!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

They need to come up with a better way to do this, even if that means framing the shot so you don’t see him moving his hand like that.

You’d think with the amount of employees that someone’s job description would include this function. Even though Linus is pretty good at scrolling through, it would look more professional if he didn’t have to do it.

7 minutes ago, Ertman said:

They need to come up with a better way to do this, even if that means framing the shot so you don’t see him moving his hand like that.

You’d think with the amount of employees that someone’s job description would include this function. Even though Linus is pretty good at scrolling through, it would look more professional if he didn’t have to do it.

To be fair, one of the original appealing aspects of LTT (especially for older followers) was the lack of professionalism, and a more, "personal" feel

--Gas_Mask_

3 minutes ago, Gas_Mask_ said:

To be fair, one of the original appealing aspects of LTT (especially for older followers) was the lack of professionalism, and a more, "personal" feel

True, like some of the recent videos like the wallpaper tv or the eBay CPUs, but to be fair using a teleprompter takes away that personal feel and adding visual cues that he is just reading from a teleprompter reinforces how non-personal it is.

14 minutes ago, Ertman said:

Full teleprompter setups are kinda complicated.

For things like news, a mirror setup is used which reflects the text off the camera:

teleprompter-rail-all-cameras.jpg

So there's a screen flat below the camera and it's reflecting off a piece of glass, allowing a personality to read while looking directly at the camera.  This obviously adds more bulk to your camera setup.  When I've used this kind of hardware it was with in a full turn key news studio.

Secondly, you need a person to control this.  Human reading speed is variable, you can't just set something to auto scroll cause for a range of reasons it could be too so or too fast or a pause is needed or what have you.  A teleprompter operator is normally on scene and controlling the scroll manually as they listen to the personal read while on camera.  I've done this job and it's a legit skill to master though I'm sure it sounds 'easy' on description alone.

So yeah, this complicates production and puts another body in the studio.  I imagine that LTT is getting 'good enough' results with Linus controlling it himself with what I presume are full 'slides' rather than scrolling text at reading speed.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually reading 'notes' rather than full dialogue but that's purely conjecture.  Notes would just allow him to keep his points in order and have key stats available.

25 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Full teleprompter setups are kinda complicated.

For things like news, a mirror setup is used which reflects the text off the camera:

So there's a screen flat below the camera and it's reflecting off a piece of glass, allowing a personality to read while looking directly at the camera.  This obviously adds more bulk to your camera setup.  When I've used this kind of hardware it was with in a full turn key news studio.

Secondly, you need a person to control this.  Human reading speed is variable, you can't just set something to auto scroll cause for a range of reasons it could be too so or too fast or a pause is needed or what have you.  A teleprompter operator is normally on scene and controlling the scroll manually as they listen to the personal read while on camera.  I've done this job and it's a legit skill to master though I'm sure it sounds 'easy' on description alone.

So yeah, this complicates production and puts another body in the studio.  I imagine that LTT is getting 'good enough' results with Linus controlling it himself with what I presume are full 'slides' rather than scrolling text at reading speed.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually reading 'notes' rather than full dialogue but that's purely conjecture.  Notes would just allow him to keep his points in order and have key stats available.

Good answer! So would reframing the shot be a better solution?

1 minute ago, Ertman said:

Good answer! So would reframing the shot be a better solution?

That's the tricky bit, right?  If someone is reading a full script, word for word, off a teleprompter, it's easy enough to have someone know where the reader is.  But if someone is just using 'notes' then only they know when they really want to move on to the next page of points.  Though I'm not sure exactly which way LMG is going with their cue system.

Going 'whole hog' and installing a full teleprompter system and hiring an operator is an option but that has cost and staffing considerations and LMG, despite some viewers opinions, does not had infinite financial resources.  Frankly, I'm fairly confident that LMG will make whatever decisions it feels is best for it's needs and resources.

13 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

That's the tricky bit, right?  If someone is reading a full script, word for word, off a teleprompter, it's easy enough to have someone know where the reader is.  But if someone is just using 'notes' then only they know when they really want to move on to the next page of points.  Though I'm not sure exactly which way LMG is going with their cue system.

Going 'whole hog' and installing a full teleprompter system and hiring an operator is an option but that has cost and staffing considerations and LMG, despite some viewers opinions, does not had infinite financial resources.  Frankly, I'm fairly confident that LMG will make whatever decisions it feels is best for it's needs and resources.

I am not speaking to what they need to to do as a viewer, and unlike many I don’t think they have infinite resources. I don’t think a full teleprompter setup is necessary or even reasonable and I was being naive about having someone work to scroll for him, but my comments aren’t out of malicious intent and not any less valid that there probably is a better solution that can fit their needs and resources.

With that said, as in my previous post, and maybe it’s another naive comment, but reframing the shot to make it less obvious seems like an easy enough solution to mitigate the problem.

touching his hip is a prompt for the intern the flip the page on the teleprompter notebook. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

8 hours ago, Flyken27 said:

I'm not sure what he's doing, I've seen him touch his phone or something before to maybe silence it during a video, but now he's touching his hip or "phone" every minute it seems like. Can someone explain this for me?

He is itching his private parts, he has very itchy private parts down there.

1 hour ago, Ertman said:

Reframing it wouldn't work, because he's not just skipping forward/back, he's slowing down or speeding up or repeating or pausing or a whole bunch bunch of functions which have to be done during presenting - not necessarily whenever he stops. So you'd end up with a bunch of cuts in the middle of sentences which don't make sense.

There are two ways to get it off camera.

1. Use foot pedals. Really not sure why they don't use them already (maybe personal preference). You can have a pedal for accelerating, pausing, slowing down the script etc. Of course, Linus' habit of using a teleprompter remote means he would likely (at least for a while) keep touching his hip, even if nothing is there. A drastic change in his method could disrupt his presenting style.
  2.  Have someone holding/operating cue cards whether digital or analogue, so that someone else moves the script only when Linus has said the words. Downside is that it's not actually that easy to do (since a cue card operator can't tell what the presenter needs without talking) and it also requires a dedicated staff member which is a waste of staff time because Linus can simply
  3.  Leave it as is. They've been doing it for 5 years or more, and everything's going just fine and most people don't notice. Every now and then people do and think its curious but it doesn't become distracting.

7 hours ago, Dredgy said:

Reframing it wouldn't work, because he's not just skipping forward/back, he's slowing down or speeding up or repeating or pausing or a whole bunch bunch of functions which have to be done during presenting - not necessarily whenever he stops. So you'd end up with a bunch of cuts in the middle of sentences which don't make sense.

There are two ways to get it off camera.

1. Use foot pedals. Really not sure why they don't use them already (maybe personal preference). You can have a pedal for accelerating, pausing, slowing down the script etc. Of course, Linus' habit of using a teleprompter remote means he would likely (at least for a while) keep touching his hip, even if nothing is there. A drastic change in his method could disrupt his presenting style.
  2.  Have someone holding/operating cue cards whether digital or analogue, so that someone else moves the script only when Linus has said the words. Downside is that it's not actually that easy to do (since a cue card operator can't tell what the presenter needs without talking) and it also requires a dedicated staff member which is a waste of staff time because Linus can simply
  3.  Leave it as is. They've been doing it for 5 years or more, and everything's going just fine and most people don't notice. Every now and then people do and think its curious but it doesn't become distracting.

Maybe it’s because I am ignorant of filming terminology and techniques and am mistakenly using the wrong word, but I guess I mean have the shot done in such a way that the motion of his hand is off screen.

1 hour ago, Ertman said:

Maybe it’s because I am ignorant of filming terminology and techniques and am mistakenly using the wrong word, but I guess I mean have the shot done in such a way that the motion of his hand is off screen.

That would be a close up of Linus that would leave the product out of view, which would be only acceptable in short doses. So the editor would have to zoom in on Linus' face/upper body whenever he reached for the teleprompter, which he does so often that it would render the video to be nearly unwatchable. 

The only suitable solution (aside from just not worrying about it because it's not a big deal. It's not even a small deal) is to put the remote somewhere else, and the only way to do that that won't be visible in some way is to use foot pedals.

11 hours ago, Dredgy said:

That would be a close up of Linus that would leave the product out of view, which would be only acceptable in short doses. So the editor would have to zoom in on Linus' face/upper body whenever he reached for the teleprompter, which he does so often that it would render the video to be nearly unwatchable. 

The only suitable solution (aside from just not worrying about it because it's not a big deal. It's not even a small deal) is to put the remote somewhere else, and the only way to do that that won't be visible in some way is to use foot pedals.

Ok, cool. I also don't think it's important, just having a constructive conversation regarding the topic.

22 hours ago, Ertman said:

Imo it really doesn't matter, I never even notice him doing it, and it's not like he's reaching up to the teleprompter under the camera and scrolling with his finger or anything like that.

Also, maybe Linus prefers to have control over it? That way he can have it scroll exactly when he wants to rather than having to hope someone else can get it right.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

42 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Imo it really doesn't matter, I never even notice him doing it, and it's not like he's reaching up to the teleprompter under the camera and scrolling with his finger or anything like that.

Also, maybe Linus prefers to have control over it? That way he can have it scroll exactly when he wants to rather than having to hope someone else can get it right.

Probability, it’s just a constructive discussion based on the topic of the thread.