Quirky HDD Behaviour

Schyken

Heyo! Wow, it's been a long while since I've posted, I need to do this more often...
So, I've got a machine with two storage devices. A pair of 1TB Seagate SSHDs. One of these drives has been acting a little odd lately. The device shows ~870GB available despite not having anything on it but a GPT+Ext4 configuration (that spans the disk). The reason this is strange, is that the other drive shows 931GB free in a similar configuration, which is what this drive *should* also show. I've checked SMART data, and the threshold hasn't been exceeded, but it does note 8 bad sectors, and also fails to complete extended SMART tests.

Any thoughts on this? I've not got critical data on it; I use it as a second drive for OBS to output to when I record videos. Would it be wise to replace the drive sometime soon, or would it be alright to just keep using it this way since there's nothing critical on it? (I've run fsck on the disk as well btw, nothing ever comes up.) Any advice or thoughts definitely appreciated. <3

It's like food for the soul, but it's a drink for the body.

Failing sectors and missing free space sounds like your drive is failing, you could run the risk of anything that's being saved there temporary or otherwise to disappear at any moment basically.

44 minutes ago, Schyken said:

Heyo! Wow, it's been a long while since I've posted, I need to do this more often...
So, I've got a machine with two storage devices. A pair of 1TB Seagate SSHDs. One of these drives has been acting a little odd lately. The device shows ~870GB available despite not having anything on it but a GPT+Ext4 configuration (that spans the disk). The reason this is strange, is that the other drive shows 931GB free in a similar configuration, which is what this drive *should* also show. I've checked SMART data, and the threshold hasn't been exceeded, but it does note 8 bad sectors, and also fails to complete extended SMART tests.

Any thoughts on this? I've not got critical data on it; I use it as a second drive for OBS to output to when I record videos. Would it be wise to replace the drive sometime soon, or would it be alright to just keep using it this way since there's nothing critical on it? (I've run fsck on the disk as well btw, nothing ever comes up.) Any advice or thoughts definitely appreciated. <3

Backup your data, now. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Backup your data first and foremost. Once that's done and out of the way, you can download our free diagnostic tool SeaTools to test the health of the drive. If you would like to dig into any potential warranty info, you can check it using our Warranty Validation Tool.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Thanks to everyone for the replies! I've gone ahead and backed up the clips I have laying around and I'm waiting for another set of drives to be delivered! I really like the SSHDs, so I've got three more in the mail. Thanks to @seagate_surfer for the testing/warranty input as well, it seems this drive is on its last legs, so I could do with a refresher! 

It's like food for the soul, but it's a drink for the body.