Programming/Video editing for college

NewBieDavid

Hello guys,

I'm 18 years old and soon to be in college in a couple of years, I still don't know what exactly I will be studying but it's definitely computer science direction and I was wondering what is the required Budget a student should have ?

Ill explain further, So I'm into building Pc's and going to get into programming and video editing as soon as I upgrade my crappy Fx cpu and I want to know if any of you can explain what they use for their coding and editing needs.

I know that Macbooks are used overall but like do you as a student have a PC at home and carry a Mac to college ?

What do you use ?
I Don't know where I'm going with this but I hope you get the idea of this post.

Thanks 

I use a multipurpose laptop. It games, edits, streams, programs, anything. I would like to run demanding softwares like matlab and android studio anywhere at campus like the library instead of going home to a desktop to do the work.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

you don't need to have a beefy PC to start programming. 

a Mac will be nice, since you can also go into iOS / mac development. but Windows is fine as well, just depends on what environment you want to develop in more

i would start self-teaching whenever possible

oh, and invest in a good screen (two if you can), and a good keyboard and mouse

12 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

a Mac will be nice, since you can also go into iOS / mac development. but Windows is fine as well, just depends on what environment you want to develop in more

yeah I'm planning to start as soon as I get my new cpu and ssd for less headaches ..
would an Ultra wide screen cut it ? (1440p if i can afford it by that time)

1 hour ago, NewBieDavid said:

yeah I'm planning to start as soon as I get my new cpu and ssd for less headaches ..
would an Ultra wide screen cut it ? (1440p if i can afford it by that time)

Personally, if coding is going to be your thing, I would probably invest in a good monitor that can swivel into Portrait position. Our web dev at work uses 2 monitors, both in Portrait.

Resolution depends on personal preference, and largely, budget.

Having an ultra wide is nice, but not as good as two separate monitors. So if you can only get (or fit) one monitor, then you could consider an ultra wide one, but I'm not sure how much benefit that would be with coding.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, Technicolors said:

Yep, I did CS and most of my programming was done a little i3 Ultrabook laptop.

Will vouch on a screen, especially a good one or two cheaper ones.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

What’s your budget? 

If it’s good enough I’d say decent desktop and cheaper laptop. 

Im skeptical about recommending only a laptop as having a good battery life really helps with using the device. Look at the fastest laptop video to see what I’m talking about. 2 hours is nothing for having 3 hour lecture classes in addition to normal classes/back to back lectures. 

17 hours ago, fpo said:

What’s your budget? 

If it’s good enough I’d say decent desktop and cheaper laptop. 

Im skeptical about recommending only a laptop as having a good battery life really helps with using the device. Look at the fastest laptop video to see what I’m talking about. 2 hours is nothing for having 3 hour lecture classes in addition to normal classes/back to back lectures. 

Well no fixed budget yet since this post was just to give me an idea about programming needs for a student and so.
I still haven't started yet but like i said I'm gonna start self teaching on whatever I have right now just for fun and to have an idea.