put Windows on Gamecube

SirGeneral

could you put some version of Windows on a Nintendo Gamecube? even if you'd have to gut it and throw gear in or run a pc not in the room into a gutted Gamecube with holes or whatever it'd still be a cool project 

heck.

just plop a nuc in a Gamecube case and call it a day. You could totally go better than that but that's the easiest way that I can think of.

1 minute ago, SirGeneral said:

even if you'd have to gut it and throw gear in or run a pc not in the room into a gutted Gamecube with holes or whatever it'd still be a cool project 

So do it. =)

Gamecube's original hardware is not compatible with Windows in any way. Special versions of Linux exist, but I don't know the specifics of modifying your console to run them. Because of it's hardware, you aren't going to be able to do a lot of tasks that a modern PC could do.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

GameCube hardware architecture is completely different than the architecture of a normal computer. Doubt it's possible to install Windows on it at all.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

10 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

could you put some version of Windows on a Nintendo Gamecube? even if you'd have to gut it and throw gear in or run a pc not in the room into a gutted Gamecube with holes or whatever it'd still be a cool project 

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H110S2/

Here is a motherboard that could fit. Get a super low profile cooler and a pico power supply (an SFX might be able to fit with the correct CPU cooler and correct bracing). Hook up the power button to the front panel. It might be a pretty sick build. I'd build it. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Would a micro-itx board usible for one

The Gamecube's dimensions are 5.9 x 6.3, ITX boards are 6.7 x 6.7. You would need a mini-STX board, which seem to only come in H110 chipsets. You'd need a Skylake chip (or Kaby Lake if you can update the BIOS).

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

8 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

how could you hook the ports into the nuc though?

using a dermal. Mini ITX systems in xbox 360s is a thing on youtube, and probably a good source of general inspiration for you. As for running windows on the GameCube itself, it would be more trouble than it is worth if is possible. It would take a deep knowledge of coding and both windows and the GameCube at a developer level. Put in a hacked up laptop or raspberry pi instead and call it a day. 

3 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

maybe Grant Thompson (https://www.youtube.com/user/01032010814/featured) and Linus could team up to make a gamecube computer (sorry to disappoint but im not gonna make it) Grant could do the gutting and sealing the disk tray and Linus could build in it

I might give it a shot when I have some free time. Thanks for the idea!

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

maybe Grant Thompson (https://www.youtube.com/user/01032010814/featured) and Linus could team up to make a gamecube computer (sorry to disappoint but im not gonna make it) Grant could do the gutting and sealing the disk tray and Linus could build in it

It would be a shame to hack up a GameCube. They are pretty rare considering nobody bought one lol. 

5a70cf7ec52b6_nintendo-salesrealycoolstuffdawwwwg.png.4ef824ad3340a984b8d1f505a1de0c4d.png

1 minute ago, doomsriker said:

It would be a shame to hack up a GameCube. They are pretty rare considering nobody bought one lol. 

5a70cf7ec52b6_nintendo-salesrealycoolstuffdawwwwg.png.4ef824ad3340a984b8d1f505a1de0c4d.png

yeah maybe but like if you could find one thats broken but the case is intact it wouldn't be as much of a waste

heck.

3 hours ago, Gikero said:

Special versions of Linux exist

TELL ME HOW (please)

heck.

TELL ME HOW (please)

While there is a versions of Linux that was adapted for various systems such as the Xbox 360 and PS3, I know of no such adaptation for the GameCube. Honestly it would be a waste of time from a practical stand point to code for the GameCube when systems like the raspberry PI are more compact, more available, more versatile, and more powerful.

i bet there is a way to run RAM, USB, HDMI, Headphone Jack and GPU extensions so the gear is there but the thing powering it is off-site probably in a desk shelf or something

heck.

1 hour ago, SirGeneral said:

i bet there is a way to run RAM, USB, HDMI, Headphone Jack and GPU extensions so the gear is there but the thing powering it is off-site probably in a desk shelf or something

do you know what a nor or xor gates are?

resistor color pattern ohm code?

volt regulator to signal step chip?

these folks are trying to help you as you are seeking assistence that is very difficult to explain a "how to" guide with out writing a small book

your answers to windows on gamecube are

no known version exists

linux has versions that may work(do web search)

and gut gamecube and put in ras pi

yeah would have to use a raspberry pi or a nuc not gonna make my own motherboard

heck.

On 30.1.2018 at 8:37 PM, SirGeneral said:

Is there a PowerPC Version of Windows??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

• 2 weeks later...