Ryzen 3 1200 AIO cooling worth it?

Minitx

I just built my new PC with a Ryzen 3 1200 and i'm currently just using the stock cooling. With this CPU, it sounds like the quality of the silicone is the limiting factor to overclock rather than the temp. I had my CPU at 3.8Ghz stable with the stock but I didn't want to use that speed as it was getting 85C plus. I wanted to know if you think and AIO would be worth buying (It would have to be a 120mm unless a 240 is just miles ahead)? Is there anyway to test if my chip will be stable at higher speeds without a aftermarket cooling solution? I really like the way AIOs look aesthetically but it wouldn't be worth it without some performance gains.

Thanks for your help!

-Minitx

I would rather investigate why it runs so hot. Voltage at 3.8GHz?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

My Ryzen 3 1200 system with stock cooler in a case with no air-flow which is in a cabinet has a 55*C max at stock... your cooler most likely doesn't have a good contact with the CPU. Check if it is mounted properly.

21 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I would rather investigate why it runs so hot. Voltage at 3.8GHz?

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

My Ryzen 3 1200 system with stock cooler in a case with no air-flow which is in a cabinet has a 55*C max at stock... your cooler most likely doesn't have a good contact with the CPU. Check if it is mounted properly.

It should, all the screws are properly tightened, i have two fans but there is limited asirflow in my case, I might re test in my room that has AC

30 minutes ago, emosun said:

For the price of your ryzen 3 and an AIO you could just buy a cpu that is faster with no overclock at all instead of trying to overclock their entry level product.

i was on a really tight budget at the time but i sold some stuff so I can now afford, i could sell the R3 but probably wont make heaps back

This is at stock speeds. This is pretty hot right?

image.thumb.png.8ca9990331725e1d4ef2f64a3b7104d2.png

Just now, Tellos said:

Low case airflow could be hurting it too.

Could be, i might try without side panel,  do have two fans though...

@Minitx what case you use intake may be the issue if your jsut blowing the internal case air out it wont work as well.

1 minute ago, Tellos said:

@Minitx what case you use intake may be the issue if your jsut blowing the internal case air out it wont work as well.

I have one mounted on exhaust and one at the front, my front panel was modded to have a custom wooden finish but i made sure their was a big hole at the bottom and perforations on the side. 

@Minitx depdending how you placed it and not knowing the case if the fans are mounted to the front but dont suck in much air you are bascially pushign out hot air but bringing in little cool air. Also air doing 90 degree turns looses pressure.

1 minute ago, Tellos said:

@Minitx depdending hwo oyu placed it and not knowign the case if the fans are mounted to the front but dont suck in much air you are bascially pushign out hot air but bringing in little cool air. Also air doing 90 degree turns looses pressure.

Hmm, one thing that's weird is my exhaust fan seems to be pushing air evenly into and out of the case, It's definitely in an exhaust config as the logo is facing outside. 

Add another front fan, reapply the thermal paste, maybe replace it with something better if it's the stuff that comes with Wraith coolers generally and you should see temps come down somewhat. Having only two fans, one for exhaust and one for intake, is not giving you enough positive pressure most likely. Add a cheapo 212 EVO for about $30 at some point and you should be fine. Just don't run the system without the side panel, for one thing, that's not positive air pressure and also, accidents do happen. Water cooling isn't really worth it for most Ryzen CPU's frankly. What case are you using?

6 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Add another front fan, reapply the thermal paste, maybe replace it with something better if it's the stuff that comes with Wraith coolers generally and you should see temps come down somewhat. Having only two fans, one for exhaust and one for intake, is not giving you enough positive pressure most likely. Add a cheapo 212 EVO for about $30 at some point and you should be fine. Just don't run the system without the side panel, for one thing, that's not positive air pressure and also, accidents do happen. Water cooling isn't really worth it for most Ryzen CPU's frankly. What case are you using?

here is my build:https://pcpartpicker.com/b/VKKBD3

I did some custom work on the case as you'll see.

I did think about a cheapo cooler but as you'll see i do like my aesthetics and their aren't many good looking cheap coolers. 

7 minutes ago, Tellos said:

@Minitx yeah I see VERY little Airflow on that build. It's an enclosed case so that could be your issue.

Yes, unfortunately not heaps i can do, thats why i was looking for a better cooler

25 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Also, i don't really have room for a second intake fan as i have a psu shroud

22 minutes ago, Minitx said:

here is my build:https://pcpartpicker.com/b/VKKBD3

I did some custom work on the case as you'll see.

I did think about a cheapo cooler but as you'll see i do like my aesthetics and their aren't many good looking cheap coolers. 

It may depend on your idea of what looks good but, something like an Arctic Freezer 13 or a Cryorig H7 may fit the bill. Both will give you better cooling and are usually under $40. As for not having room for another intake fan, until you do, the temps will continue to be high as you don't have positive air pressure. Two 120's should fit just about any case and would be better than a single, larger fan at the front.

3 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

It may depend on your idea of what looks good but, something like an Arctic Freezer 13 or a Cryorig H7 may fit the bill. Both will give you better cooling and are usually under $40.

I did look at the H7 but it's quite expensive in AUS, the AIO is about $15AUD (12USD) more.

1 minute ago, Minitx said:

I did look at the H7 but it's quite expensive in AUS, the AIO is about $15AUD (12USD) more.

True enough but a cheapish AIO will often not give you better temps than a decent air cooler. 

1 minute ago, johnukguy said:

True enough but a cheapish AIO will often not give you better temps than a decent air cooler. 

Also true but my thinking was that by using an AIO, I would be able to find an optimal configuration for it.

1 hour ago, Minitx said:

This is at stock speeds. This is pretty hot right?

image.thumb.png.8ca9990331725e1d4ef2f64a3b7104d2.png

63° is not hot at all

:)