Need cooler for Ryzen 1800x

Hi everyone!

I've just upgraded to Ryzen 7 1800x from an i7 4790k + CM Hyper 412s (212 evo's cousin)  as I need more horsepower for encoding.

I bought a ARCTIC Freezer 13 CO for £25 which according to some research did a decent job with Ryzen 7 at stock clocks..
Much to my surprise (or should I be surprised) this cheapo Air cooler struggles to keep temps under control.

Temperature tests were being checked through MSI afterburner and the Ryzen master utility (that people were saying doesn't get affected by the +20*c offset, even though that seems to no longer be the case)
Running Prime 95 for 20 minutes had 7 threads fail with the first 2 failing after only 5 minutes. It seems when the CPU can't stay under 75*c it drops a core to reduce temps.
While rendering in Sony Vegas, all cores remain active but the temps sit at 74-74.5 which is dangerously close to where they seem to stop working.

In conclusion, so much for this "200W" air cooler... Can't even cool 95W cpu at stock clocks.

I'm looking for advice on a different cooler to use that will control the 1800x, perhaps someone here has experience.

For compatability, I'm running a SilverStone SST-TJ08B-E - Temjin (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005D9027E/) with Corsair LPX ram.
Sadly it doesn't fit a 240mm radiator, only 120mm or pretty much any large air cooler. I have the HDD cage removed so horizontal space is not a problem.

I was thinking of something like Cooler Master MasterLiquid 120 (£53) or ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 120 (£60) or one of the larger air coolers like Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 (£60).

But I'm not sure whether a 120mm AIO is worth it at this price or whether I should get a beefy Air cooler.

Any advice from experienced users is very welcome!

120mm AIO's are almost never worth it.

I'd go for the dark rock 3, preferable the pro though. £67(+ shipping) at scan, or £62 with shipping from CCL https://www.cclonline.com/product/186122/BK019/CPU-Coolers/Be-Quiet-BK019-Dark-Rock-Pro-3-CPU-Cooler/CLR0936/?gclid=CjwKCAiA47DTBRAUEiwA4luU2R9zNgbTfWh2ajZ2rYtbxbhMRYBfF_xa8lsy64Ptfo4uyVo2gHMv_hoCn94QAvD_BwE

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Get a high end bulky noctua cooler that fits your budget.

PC specs:

I7 8700

1x 8gb Ballistix Elite 3200MHZ

MSI Gaming Trio RTX 2080

G650M PSU

120gb Kingston SSD

3TB of HDD

NZXT S340 elite Black/Red

4 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

120mm AIO's are almost never worth it.

I'd go for the dark rock 3 (preferably the pro, only £67 at scan)

Looks like it's £67 on Amazon too which is my preferred place to shop.
Holy mother it's huge :D
The ever popular Noctua NH-D15 with AMD attachment is £80. Is that worth the additional cost?

I'd like to keep the cost at around £50 ideally to be honest. I managed to get the cpu for £200 on a flash sale :D

Have you given the Arctic Freezer 33 Esports Edition? They have two versions, with the Esports ONE coming with only one fan, and the regular Esports coming with 2 fans. For $45, it isn't too bad of a deal. Keeps my 1700x cool :)

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

11 minutes ago, SpencerC said:

Have you given the Arctic Freezer 33 Esports Edition? They have two versions, with the Esports ONE coming with only one fan, and the regular Esports coming with 2 fans. For $45, it isn't too bad of a deal. Keeps my 1700x cool :)

They are about £53 here. Would rather spend a bit more to get the Dark Rock 3 pro which from what Ive read so far is only slightly bested by the very expensive (and ugly as hell) Noctua NH-D15.

Anyone defending liquid cooling here? Was reading that they are quite loud in comparison to the higher end air coolers.
Only AIO experience I Have was a H80 back about 4 years ago which was quiet on normal use but sounded like an airplane for 20 sec when pc was starting up :D

2 minutes ago, Andrew Sh said:

They are about £53 here. Would rather spend a bit more to get the Dark Rock 3 pro which from what Ive read so far is only slightly bested by the very expensive (and ugly as hell) Noctua NH-D15.

Anyone defending liquid cooling here? Was reading that they are quite loud in comparison to the higher end air coolers.
Only AIO experience I Have was a H80 back about 4 years ago which was quiet on normal use but sounded like an airplane for 20 sec when pc was starting up :D

You can fix the tan Noctua fan issue by purchasing some of their Chromax fans :)

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

2 minutes ago, SpencerC said:

You can fix the tan Noctua fan issue by purchasing some of their Chromax fans :)

At that point we're reaching into the area of paying for a new bigger case + one of the cheaper 240mm AIOs hahahaha :D

7 minutes ago, Andrew Sh said:

At that point we're reaching into the area of paying for a new bigger case + one of the cheaper 240mm AIOs hahahaha :D

If the cooler suits you, the get the Dark Rock Pro 3. I will warn you, however, that the Pro 3 is due to be replaced by the Pro 4 which will have an easier mounting system than what the previous Dark Rock coolers have had.

12 minutes ago, SpencerC said:

If the cooler suits you, the get the Dark Rock Pro 3. I will warn you, however, that the Pro 3 is due to be replaced by the Pro 4 which will have an easier mounting system than what the previous Dark Rock coolers have had.

Yeah just had a google of that. Seems it's due in Q2. My CPU will hang itself by then I'd say :D
To be honest once I get the cooler on, I'm not too bothered. The Arctic Cooler 13 was a bit of a pain to mount onto AM4 too but once it's there it can be forgotten about.

Unless someone has anything to say in favour of another cooler or 120mm AIO, I'll try the Dark Rock Pro 3

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

After much frustration and effort, trying to apply a small OC to the ram (I was hoping to build up to about 3000mhz) but the first increase basically killed my bios/motherboard/ram and nothing I do works. Including cmos resets and removing battery and every possible bios reset I found online I pretty much decided to RMA this garbage and go for an i7 8700k instead.

I honestly wanted to give AMD a chance but I can't sit here for a week trying to figure out what is wrong with the PC. It shouldn't be so difficult.
Some people may have great experience with these new Ryzen chips but if you have to put that much effort into overclocking the ram to get high performance out of the cpu, it's just not worth it.

My previous Intel setup needed 2 clicks in the bios and my ram was OC'd to where it should be.
Shame.

I'll still get the Dark Rock Pro but it'll be used to OC the 8700k rather than the 1800x. Hopefully can get 5ghz+ on it