Can anyone recommend a video on advanced overclocking?

Go to solution Solved by unknownmiscreant,

Go look on youtube for a channel called Actually hardcore overclocking. The presentation of the videos is a little lacking, but they are really informative and tbh, I really don't care.

der8auer's yt channel is also really informative. I've also read alot of overclocking guides.

I'd like to learn how to use a lot more in my bios to tweak my overclocks.

I already know how to do the basics with the CPU and Ram, but I just got an Asus maximus vii hero and I want to learn how to use the more advanced stuff in the bios for fun.

Can anyone recommend some good videos to watch on this?

I've seen a few so far and they don't seem to ever go into enough depth for what I'm looking for.

I'd like to follow along with someone tweaking every setting to max their overclock to actually see what they're doing not just get a quick explanation of what each thing does.

Go look on youtube for a channel called Actually hardcore overclocking. The presentation of the videos is a little lacking, but they are really informative and tbh, I really don't care.

der8auer's yt channel is also really informative. I've also read alot of overclocking guides.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

hey again :P ...

Looking at some other posts in here, found these two (those are for Ryzen tho.... but maybe will be informative)

4 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Cool, I'll be watching both of those this weekend. You need a guide to touch anything in this bios other than the basics. Like holy crap. Talk about a thousand options :P not complaining.

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Cool, I'll be watching both of those this weekend. You need a guide to touch anything in this bios other than the basics. Like holy crap. Talk about a thousand options :P not complaining.

Yeah I've been watching both of them for a while, I've set most of the options in the bios of my Crosshair VI hero.

I generally try read a guide or two before setting anything, as alot of settings can have quite undesirable results.

If you are OCing ryzen, this is absolute gold, although not exactly a great place to start.
http://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1625015-ryzen-essential-info-link-owners-info-db.html

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

15 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Yeah I've been watching both of them for a while, I've set most of the options in the bios of my Crosshair VI hero.

I generally try read a guide or two before setting anything, as alot of settings can have quite undesirable results.

If you are OCing ryzen, this is absolute gold, although not exactly a great place to start.
http://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1625015-ryzen-essential-info-link-owners-info-db.html

Nah, I'm overclocking an I7 4790k.

I already have it at 4.7ghz, but I want to try and push it to 4.8 soon enough.

I have to start messing with the base clock and stuff to reduce temperatures to get there though.

I've already underclocked my ram bringing it down from 2400 to 2133 and tightening the timings. That let me reduce my ram voltage by quite a bit and took my temps down about 5-10 degrees so that's a start.

It just passed 8 hours of memtest86+ so that's looking good. 

I probably won't try to tighten it anymore. 9, 11, 11, 30 at 1.575 volts is pretty good.

I can actually go lower on the voltage, but I got a random blue screen yesterday that I'm raising that for as a troubleshooting step.

I imagine I can get those temps down more if I can learn to start messing with some of the more advanced power options.

14 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Nah, I'm overclocking an I7 4790k.

I have never owned an unlocked intel system, so cant be much more help I'm afraid. Sounds like you're going quite well. Good luck.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

On 1/26/2018 at 11:43 PM, unknownmiscreant said:

I have never owned an unlocked intel system, so cant be much more help I'm afraid. Sounds like you're going quite well. Good luck.

Thanks.

Dam tweakers paradise. I haven’t even bothered to learn all the options on my board when it came to me 4790k. Just added a bit of voltage, turned up the basics and set it at 4.8  May get more into it but needs a delid first. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

9 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Dam tweakers paradise. I haven’t even bothered to learn all the options on my board when it came to me 4790k. Just added a bit of voltage, turned up the basics and set it at 4.8  May get more into it but needs a delid first. 

4.8? Good show!

You must be using a custom loop to hit 4.8. I hit 80 degrees long before I get stability adding voltage trying to get to 4.8 with my 360mm AIO.

If not, that's a golden chip right there.

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

4.8? Good show!

You must be using a custom loop to hit 4.8. I hit 80 degrees long before I get stability adding voltage trying to get to 4.8 with my 360mm AIO.

Never tried it without one as the loop was already here. Gets too hot for that too. Still hits 90’s. Delided my 3770k and dropped 20/25c so hope I can get the same out of this and I didn’t even use metal tim. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Never tried it without one as the loop was already here. Gets too hot for that too. Still hits 90’s. Delided my 3770k and dropped 20/25c so hope I can get the same out of this and I didn’t even use metal tim. 

Cool, If I were you, I'd lower that to 4.7 and drop the voltage a bit to keep it under 80 degrees until you do your deliding. Just save an overclocking profile for what you have now.

2 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Cool, If I were you, I'd lower that to 4.7 and drop the voltage a bit to keep it under 80 degrees until you do your deliding. Just save an overclocking profile for what you have now.

Well it only sees that temp in aida, never in real world. Went back to stock after a year, quit using it a few weeks ago. 

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Well it only sees that temp in aida, never in real world. Went back to stock after a year, quit using it a few weeks ago. 

Probably for the best. You don't want to be risking expensive hardware.

Well it’s still at a risk. Use it to mine now as the rig is quite useless but it can make me money. Needs to carry its weight and space it takes up. 

A75E90B9-6F23-4F1F-ADA3-8705AB557DB2.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well it’s still at a risk. Use it to mine now as the rig is quite useless but it can make me money. Needs to carry its weight and space it takes up. 

A75E90B9-6F23-4F1F-ADA3-8705AB557DB2.jpeg

Nice system, but boo mining.

A gtx 1070 costs the same as a 1080ti normally would right now so not a big fan of mining at the moment.

I change my recommendation to smashing it with a hammer :P

just kidding, but not really lol

Is there any benefit to overclocking a CPU on a mining machine anyways?

It doesn't sound like there is from what I've read on the subject.

Just now, stateofpsychosis said:

Nice system, but boo mining.

A gtx 1070 costs the same as a 1080ti normally would right now so not a big fan of mining at the moment.

I change my recommendation to smashing it with a hammer :P

just kidding, but not really lol

Well this rig has been together before the common folk became aware of mining. Either let it sit or make money. Prices of cards are still the same aside from the little rise with the Ramdac shortage. I blame gulability before anything else. 

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well this rig has been together before the common folk became aware of mining. Either let it sit or make money. Prices of cards are still the same aside from the little rise with the Ramdac shortage. I blame gulability before anything else. 

No they're not. Have you looked lately? 1070's are like 1000 bucks Canadian right now. They're what I paid for a 1080 OC edition on launch day right now. That's ridiculous. The worst I've ever seen. Seriously, go look at the prices right now. Your jaw will drop to the floor in shock.

53 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

No they're not. Have you looked lately? 1070's are like 1000 bucks Canadian right now. They're what I paid for a 1080 OC edition on launch day right now. That's ridiculous. The worst I've ever seen. Seriously, go look at the prices right now. Your jaw will drop to the floor in shock.

I’m well aware. I’m also not a dumbass. Paid 820 for 1080ti strix. 800 directly from a distributor, 709 for pny what ever their cheap plastic blowers are called. Got about 40 cards in the last month. Nothing shocking about the prices. 

13 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

I’m well aware. I’m also not a dumbass. Paid 820 for 1080ti strix. 800 directly from a distributor, 709 for pny what ever their cheap plastic blowers are called. Got about 40 cards in the last month. Nothing shocking about the prices. 

40 cards?! 

No wonder they're in short supply.

Jesus.

They're not dumb. They just have bad timing. It's not their faults that the prices are what they are. It's supply and demand. It's a direct result from folks like you buying up 40 cards to mine cryptocurrency and draining the supply down to nothing before most gamers even get to the cards.

I just feel bad for all of the folks I see trying to get into VR. Just got an Oculus or whatever and can't use it because they can't afford to buy a new computer right now.. I've been trying to help people like that do used parts builds to get around this, but they shouldn't have to.

It just really sucks.

That's all I have to say about that.

No one gave a shit when several hundred were purchased between the 12 of us through the past year and a half. Sounds like they chose the wrong time to start crying about miners. Need to cry to the 2 ram suppliers so the gpu companies and make more 10 series cards even though they close to eol. Like I said its pay to play. The prices are the same if you know how to use the internet, so survival of the fittest it would seem.

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

No one gave a shit when several hundred were purchased between the 12 of us through the past year and a half. Sounds like they chose the wrong time to start crying about miners. Need to cry to the 2 ram suppliers so the gpu companies and make more 10 series cards even though they close to eol. Like I said its pay to play. The prices are the same if you know how to use the internet, so survival of the fittest it would seem.

I'm not going to pretend like miners buying up nearly every GPU available pretty much the first week they're released isn't the reason why they're expensive right now.

I have a little more empathy than that for gamers who feel left out right now.

This whole thing has seriously been hurting the PC enthusiast crowd in general.

Mining may be good for your bottom line, but it's really bad for the PC gaming community.

I'm not going to pretend like that's not true, sorry.

I think that's enough. We're way off topic now.

Like I said, I had this pc together longer then most as it would seem if they are complaining. It was my main gaming rig, cant game on two pcs at once so I use it to make money. Started mining 10 days ago. So this isn't my fault. I help where I can, building or buying parts to make mining rigs. Theres capital to be had, sounds like the gaming community needs to get a job or play on old cards like I do and have been for years. 

9 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Like I said, I had this pc together longer then most as it would seem if they are complaining. It was my main gaming rig, cant game on two pcs at once so I use it to make money. Started mining 10 days ago. So this isn't my fault. I help where I can, building or buying parts to make mining rigs. Theres capital to be had, sounds like the gaming community needs to get a job or play on old cards like I do and have been for years. 

You have a very cold, don't care about how this effects others outlook and I'm not a fan, sorry.

I'll never think that way.

I could have gotten into cryptocurrency long ago. I've always been a smart investor and I saw it coming.

I didn't though. There are too many ethical concerns.

How do you know one of these currencies you're mining isn't being used to fund terrorism, child trafficking, and everything like that? 

Sure, there's a ledger with the bigger ones like bitcoin, but can your really say you know what these things are being used for with all of the ones people actually mine?

Then there's the inefficiency of it. How much power is wasted having all of these rigs running full tilt 24/7 just to process transactions? How about all of the people losing everything because they invested in a volatile currency? I mean, the suicide hotlines had to post all over the cryptocurrency pages after the recent crash. That's how bad it was.

So, I didn't get into it because of my principles and you know what.. even though I could have made like half a million dollars, I'm still glad that I didn't. I make my money the honest way, I'm doing good doing it that way, and I don't regret a thing.

Nothing keeps me up at night.

I don't really want to keep discussing this though dude.

I posted this to just ask about some overclocking guides.

I don't want to get into a big debate.

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

You have a very cold, don't care about others outlook and I'm not a fan, sorry.

I'll never think that way.

I could have gotten into cryptocurrency long ago. I've always been a smart investor and I saw it coming.

I didn't though. There are too many ethical concerns.

How do you know one of these currencies you're mining isn't being used to fund terrorism, child trafficking, and everything like that? 

Sure, there's a ledger with the bigger ones like bitcoin, but can your really say you know what these things are being used for with all of the ones people actually mine?

Then there's the inefficiency of it. How much power is wasted having all of these rigs running full tilt 24/7 just to process transactions.

So, I didn't get into it because of my principles and you know what.. even though I could have made like half a million dollars, I'm still glad I didn't. I make my money the honest way, I'm doing good doing it that way, and I don't regret a thing.

Nothing keeps me up at night.

I don't really want to keep discussing this though dude.

I posted this to just ask about some overclocking guides.

I don't want to get into a big debate.

Well its gonna happen regardless if I mine or not. May tax money already goes towards all that stuff you seem to be worried about. Sitting here on this page and on youtube wastes more power then  what my other pc does mining at the same time. And ive been doing this for years, but I wasn't concerned about power as much until now. I cant change what happens to the world and its still gonna be here tomorrow. I gotta keep seeing these posts everyday and people crying about it. When they stop crying and care about stuff aside from themselves and not wanting to spend money, maybe I will care and not be so cold. See how that works? Grass color and a fence kinda thing.  Not a debate as no one is looking for a solution to this problem of this topic.